SERIOUSLY????

cheeseheadgophfan

Reaction score
II’m not up a Pitino hater. I swear. But when is the last time you saw our team out-coaching and out-executing the opponent??? It’s a beautiful thing. What a fun team to watch. Do I expect much? No. They must may not finish 500 in the Big Ten, but this young coach is building something, and we should all be excited and proud!

Last edited:

Best way to sum it up: Pitino teams won with talent in spite of Pitino’s (lack of) coaching. This team is winning with a lack of deep talent by playing fundamentally sound basketball on both sides, which is driven by coaching.

II’m not up a Pitino hater. I swear. But when is the last time you saw our team being out coached by the other? It’s a beautiful thing. What a fun team to watch. Do I expect much? No. They must may not finish 500 in the Big Ten, but this young coach is building something, and we should all be excited and proud!
Going .500 in the B1G would be better than 7 of the 8 seasons under Pitino.

Best way to sum it up: Pitino teams won with talent in spite of Pitino’s (lack of) coaching. This team is winning with a lack of deep talent by playing fundamentally sound basketball on both sides, which is driven by coaching.
Players and coaching, these guys are 4th and 5th year seniors, lots of experience and success, maybe not at the major power 5 level but for the most part have seen most things thrown their way.

Players and coaching, these guys are 4th and 5th year seniors, lots of experience and success, maybe not at the major power 5 level but for the most part have seen most things thrown their way.
Still requires great coaching to get them to play together, and part of this was the type of athlete and person he chose to recruit. The staff seems to have selected guys that definitely are willing to play within the system, can guard multiple positions, play team defense, are sound in handling the ball, and each guy on the floor can knock down an open look. Who knows where this goes rest of this year, but if he continues to recruit players like this, with more size when he has the opportunity to do that, it could be fun.

look at Pitino's roster at New Mexico. Jamal Mashburn, Jalen House and Gethro Muscadin are all essentially 4 star players and the rest of the squad are 3 star's with experience. Pitino's exceptional coaching guided them to back to back LOSSES to UAB and Townson lol.

BJ has two 4 star players that dont play (Ihnen injured and Thompson question mark), a 3 star with no knees and one 3 star playing at a 5 star level in Willis. The rest are a cast of misfits he put together and he's winning. To sum it up I agree lol.

Side note I in NO WAY think that Battle is a misfit, he would probably get heavy minutes on any squad in America. Being BJ's first commit, I'd like to see a list of other coaches first commit's and see how he stacks up.

II’m not up a Pitino hater. I swear.

Well, I am and I couldn't be happier! I fell in and out of hatred for him while he was our coach as there were times when he did things well and, in the interest of fairness, felt the need to give him credit and a chance. Now that he's gone, I feel liberated from that duty and fully comfortable with being an irreversible Pitino hater.

Last edited:

I love the team has done so far. Hopefully there is this much enthusiasm later in the season.

BJ has two 4 star players that dont play (Ihnen injured and Thompson question mark), a 3 star with no knees and one 3 star playing at a 5 star level in Willis. The rest are a cast of misfits he put together and he's winning. To sum it up I agree lol.

Well, perhaps people value those star rankings coming out of high school a bit too much. Ben Johnson does have something on this team that most teams don't have to the same degree: a high combination of age and experience. Take a 23 year old with four years of extensive playing experience and additional physical maturity and that combination can overcome a group of more highly rated but less mature and experienced players with higher ratings from the prep ranks. We see that frequently in upsets during the NCAA tournament.

look at Pitino's roster at New Mexico. Jamal Mashburn, Jalen House and Gethro Muscadin are all essentially 4 star players and the rest of the squad are 3 star's with experience. Pitino's exceptional coaching guided them to back to back LOSSES to UAB and Townson lol.

Side note I in NO WAY think that Battle is a misfit, he would probably get heavy minutes on any squad in America. Being BJ's first commit, I'd like to see a list of other coaches first commit's and see how he stacks up.
One advantage Ben's "first commit" has over most first commits is the nearly 1700 minutes of college basketball he played prior to committing here.

“They may never lose again” after their next win!
congrats on improving your best bro, from you sad sack we're doomed Miss St, prediction.

Middle aged dogs can learn new tricks!!

One advantage Ben's "first commit" has over most first commits is the nearly 1700 minutes of college basketball he played prior to committing here.
Give credit where credit is do, you technically cannot start any better. The team is playing with great composure and is playing like a team. Good coaching starts with recognizing what you have. Right now, we are playing to our strengths. There are some tough games ahead, but give the players and coaches credit for the strong start.

Give credit where credit is do, you technically cannot start any better. The team is playing with great composure and is playing like a team. Good coaching starts with recognizing what you have. Right now, we are playing to our strengths. There are some tough games ahead, but give the players and coaches credit for the strong start.
His ability to bring in transfers and new players and get them to play a style together and win is going to go a long way in recruiting future HS and transfer players. Sky is the limit for this program to building under Johnson.

Yes he is benefiting from bringing in some talented veteran players from lower levels, but he had to identify and vet these players. That's a huge skill to have.

Well, perhaps people value those star rankings coming out of high school a bit too much. Ben Johnson does have something on this team that most teams don't have to the same degree: a high combination of age and experience. Take a 23 year old with four years of extensive playing experience and additional physical maturity and that combination can overcome a group of more highly rated but less mature and experienced players with higher ratings from the prep ranks. We see that frequently in upsets during the NCAA tournament.
For anyone familiar with college hockey, this is somewhat like the model Mankato has followed and been very successful with. Although instead of transfers, they are just bringing in older freshmen who stay for 4 years.

I agree. But give honest assessments as well. His first commit had played a lot before he got here. Like giving Fleck credit for Pinckney’s development without mentioning the previous 4 years.

I agree. But give honest assessments as well. His first commit had played a lot before he got here. Like giving Fleck credit for Pinckney’s development without mentioning the previous 4 years.
It is nearly impossible to know if a coach is a assisted or impeded by the prior regime, their program or their players. The most honest way to appraise a coach is with contextual wins and losses. That stated, I specifically said "give the PLAYERS and coaches credit".

It should also be stated that you can be the best player in the world but not show it if a coach does not use you properly.

It is nearly impossible to know if a coach is a assisted or impeded by the prior regime, their program or their players. The most honest way to appraise a coach is with contextual wins and losses. That stated, I specifically said "give the PLAYERS and coaches credit".

It should also be stated that you can be the best player in the world but not show it if a coach does not use you properly.
I agree with all of this. But maybe Battle would be better with another coach. We don't know. The argument I made was that you can't compare battle as a "first commit" (which is a silly thing to compare anyway) to high schoolers.

Wins and losses are all that matter. Penny Hardaway is ruining a generational talent. Ben Johnson is winning with a lot of guys from a lot of places that probably were not heavily recruited out of high school or in the portal. Its really impressive so far.

II’m not up a Pitino hater. I swear. But when is the last time you saw our team out-coaching and out-executing the opponent??? It’s a beautiful thing. What a fun team to watch. Do I expect much? No. They must may not finish 500 in the Big Ten, but this young coach is building something, and we should all be excited and proud!

The things that stand out for me so far:
1. They play fundamentally sound basketball. This includes cycling the offense to get quality looks, making the extra pass to an open guy with an even better look and backdoor cuts. I have yet to see a player go into hero ball mode and start chucking up wild shots.

2. They don't seem to get rattled. Even as Miss St continued to close the gap and at one point tied it up, they didn't panic. They simply went down the floor, executed on offense, got a quality look and drilled a 3.

3. They have shown so far to be much improved at shooting 3's. Pitino's teams seemed to be feast or famine, and typically famine at about the worst possible times spanning several games.

4. Switching things up on defense. They are getting teams out of rhythm by going from man to zone. I'm not sure what twists they've incorporated into their 1-3-1, but it seems to disrupt the other team enough to where they turn the ball over or take a low percentage shot.

Obviously the BIG schedule will get considerably harder. I'd love to see the W's continue, but regardless of the outcome, I can appreciate solid, well-coached fundamental basketball. The talent will come. This year I wanted to see what kind of identity Coach Johnson wants to establish, and I like what I see so far.

Still requires great coaching to get them to play together, and part of this was the type of athlete and person he chose to recruit. The staff seems to have selected guys that definitely are willing to play within the system, can guard multiple positions, play team defense, are sound in handling the ball, and each guy on the floor can knock down an open look. Who knows where this goes rest of this year, but if he continues to recruit players like this, with more size when he has the opportunity to do that, it could be fun.
It does but coaching isn't going to transform these guys into team players in two months, it's more of a reflection of the kind of guys he identified and brought in. He still has to get them to play the game he wants but he's three quarters of the way there by the guys he recruited. I will argue again it's a combination of the coach and the players.

Things that I am excited about: We play great fundamental basketball with 2 athletes who can create shots on there own in Willis and Battle. However, we still play team basketball where best shot rules the day. Plus, I love the fact we have smart players and coaches who can mix up the defense.

Things that concern me: When a team has more talent and plays fundamentally sound we will be in trouble. Their crashing the boards, not getting turnovers and getting back on defense will make our lack of high end athleticism shine.

It does but coaching isn't going to transform these guys into team players in two months, it's more of a reflection of the kind of guys he identified and brought in. He still has to get them to play the game he wants but he's three quarters of the way there by the guys he recruited. I will argue again it's a combination of the coach and the players.
Of course it is, and a huge part of coaching is identifying the type of players you bring in. They obviously identified players who fit how he wants to play. And, a coach can create a team identify in two months - but with the wrong type of players even the best coaches struggle with that. The best coaches rarely miss on identifying those kids, although they all make a mistake sometime. It's why Ben let so many of the kids go from last year and didn't try to keep them, despite what some on GH wanted.

The things that stand out for me so far:
1. They play fundamentally sound basketball. This includes cycling the offense to get quality looks, making the extra pass to an open guy with an even better look and backdoor cuts. I have yet to see a player go into hero ball mode and start chucking up wild shots.

2. They don't seem to get rattled. Even as Miss St continued to close the gap and at one point tied it up, they didn't panic. They simply went down the floor, executed on offense, got a quality look and drilled a 3.

3. They have shown so far to be much improved at shooting 3's. Pitino's teams seemed to be feast or famine, and typically famine at about the worst possible times spanning several games.

4. Switching things up on defense. They are getting teams out of rhythm by going from man to zone. I'm not sure what twists they've incorporated into their 1-3-1, but it seems to disrupt the other team enough to where they turn the ball over or take a low percentage shot.

Obviously the BIG schedule will get considerably harder. I'd love to see the W's continue, but regardless of the outcome, I can appreciate solid, well-coached fundamental basketball. The talent will come. This year I wanted to see what kind of identity Coach Johnson wants to establish, and I like what I see so far.
Also using 2-3 zone, which I don't know much about, but it really confounds the other team's offense.

Top Bottom