Seriously How Can The Gophers Compete???

A very good scorer at this stage in the game would come at a high cost. I doubt we have the budget for that player.
Maybe that "scorer" would prefer to play for a team that is NOT ALREADY OVERLOADED with other "scorers".

Feels like a team without high end talent, but should be physical, not turn the ball over, and we absolutely need to be a Top 50 Defensive team in the country.

I like this team. NCAA tournament is reasonable. Need to make it happen.
I only read about 1 or 2 posts per day lately. Today...1.

Physical, take care of the ball, defense. In other words, we're going to suck.

Everyone thinks losing $500-750K players and replacing them with scrubs is going to be just fine. But it's not.

Ron Myer as SMU was ahead of his time. Soory about the font. Not sure what button I pushed.

If you compare (via transfer portals you choose which one) who they lost to who they brought in, this team took a massive step backward. At this time, obviously things can change, I don't see this team rising off the bottom of the BIG 10 to much.
This is the reality. We got worse at PG and Center. We got a lot worse at the 3 spot. The bench is marginally better. That probably equals 3-4 less B1G wins. So 6-14 plus or minus a couple.

But some folks are very high on the hopium right now. Not only are we better than last season already but another great starter is going to accept our 13th scholarship...

This is the reality. We got worse at PG and Center. We got a lot worse at the 3 spot. The bench is marginally better. That probably equals 3-4 less B1G wins. So 6-14 plus or minus a couple.

But some folks are very high on the hopium right now. Not only are we better than last season already but another great starter is going to accept our 13th scholarship...
The reality is that you nor does anyone else know how many W’s this squad will earn.

If you look at players as individuals, we did not get as much talent transferred in as went out. But for how the pieces fit, we will be a better team overall. We will be much better in conference than 6-14.

If you look at players as individuals, we did not get as much talent transferred in as went out. But for how the pieces fit, we will be a better team overall. We will be much better in conference than 6-14.
It's possible. Never said it wasn't. You just can't objectivity say we're better on paper. Maybe the coaching staff will pull it off.

We might have gotten better at the 3 spot. I don't think we will be better at the 3 than what Christie WILL BE but rather than what he was. Christie was a one trick pony last year- he was a really good 3 point shooter. He was not a good defender and couldn't finish at the basket. I think with Odukale who scored at the same level as Christie, you get a plus defender and rebounder and a guy who can go to the bucket and finish but he is not a great 3 point shooter (31%). He will be as good as last year's version of Christie.

The allure of last year's team was not what they did last year but rather the upside for the coming year. We have a chance to be better than last year's team. I don't think our ceiling is as high for the coming year as it would have been with last year's roster.

We might have gotten better at the 3 spot. I don't think we will be better at the 3 than what Christie WILL BE but rather than what he was. Christie was a one trick pony last year- he was a really good 3 point shooter. He was not a good defender and couldn't finish at the basket. I think with Odukale who scored at the same level as Christie, you get a plus defender and rebounder and a guy who can go to the bucket and finish but he is not a great 3 point shooter (31%). He will be as good as last year's version of Christie.

The allure of last year's team was not what they did last year but rather the upside for the coming year. We have a chance to be better than last year's team. I don't think our ceiling is as high for the coming year as it would have been with last year's roster.
More consistent perhaps. Christie hit some pretty huge shots in our best wins (MSU, Northwestern). I don't just assume his replacement will do the same. He did disappear a bit in other games. But Odukale isn't a good 3 point shooter as you say and shoots about 50% on FT's. He's not a good replacement for Christie specifically. They may be better off with Garcia at the 3 and starting Parker Fox at the 4. Otherwise the offense may be "Garcia go score 40."

Last edited:

More consistent perhaps. Christie hit some pretty huge shots in our best wins (MSU, Northwestern). I don't just assume his replacement will do the same. He did disappear a bit in other games.
You are still thinking just in terms of his sweet jumper. We won't replace that fully. I think that there is a possibility that Odukale will be a more complete player and yes, more consistent than Christie on both ends. Again, I am talking about last year's edition of Christie. I would love to have Hawkins, Payne and Christie back this coming year because of their potential- but let's face it: last year they were the heart of a 9-11 team, not a 14-6 team.

We have who we are going to have. I hope Ben got who he did because he is going to try to adapt and build a defensive minded identity. Defensive players don't get big NIL dollars- but they win games.

You are still thinking just in terms of his sweet jumper. We won't replace that fully. I think that there is a possibility that Odukale will be a more complete player and yes, more consistent than Christie on both ends. Again, I am talking about last year's edition of Christie. I would love to have Hawkins, Payne and Christie back this coming year because of their potential- but let's face it: last year they were the heart of a 9-11 team, not a 14-6 team.

We have who we are going to have. I hope Ben got who he did because he is going to try to adapt and build a defensive minded identity. Defensive players don't get big NIL dollars- but they win games.
Well yes. Unless we are going to become Wisconsin/UVA and win a bunch of games 48-43, we need to make shots. And the 3 point and FT %'s of the incoming players are pretty rough. And if we're turning the team that gave up 100 to Illinois into a defensive juggernaut in one year with the same coaches/system and at least some of the same players, well I think that's a big ask.

Well yes. Unless we are going to become Wisconsin/UVA and win a bunch of games 48-43, we need to make shots. And the 3 point and FT %'s of the incoming players are pretty rough. And if we're turning the team that gave up 100 to Illinois into a defensive juggernaut in one year with the same coaches/system and at least some of the same players, well I think that's a big ask.
Its a big ask. Yes.

What makes you think that?

Good coaching can overcome a lack of talent. Poor coaching can not overcome lack of talent. This team will be less talented, IMO.

What have you noticed in Johnson over the past three years that allows you to think he can coach a less talented group of players to out perform this past years team?

His first two teams, in the majority of eyes here, mentioned that those teams were less talented than year three. That year three was his most talented team to date. He brings in less talent for year 4, how will the outcome be any different than years one or two?

It's a big ask from a well-established successful coach. From this staff it's likely wishful thinking.
They will have eight or nine players who learned their basketball fundamentals elsewhere, as did Christie, Hawkins and Mitchell last season.

You may not appreciate the value of defense, discipline, physicality, maturity, and toughness in college basketball.
I suggest you look at the UCONN games in the Final Four for proof.
Your comparing our players to UConn.... U con isn't made up of utsa scrubs

We don't always agree.. we do here... Hope is great... But on this board it isn't hope. It's delusion
I only read about 1 or 2 posts per day lately. Today...1.

Physical, take care of the ball, defense. In other words, we're going to suck.

Everyone thinks losing $500-750K players and replacing them with scrubs is going to be just fine. But it's not.

They will have eight or nine players who learned their basketball fundamentals elsewhere, as did Christie, Hawkins and Mitchell last season.
Actually, they will have roughly 13 players who learned their BB fundamentals elsewhere.

Actually, they will have roughly 13 players who learned their BB fundamentals elsewhere.
And that is why this team is not limited by perceived inadequacies attributed to the Gopher Coaching Staff.

247 Player Ratings
Ken Evans Jr. Jackson State .9200
Isaiah Ihnen Minnesota .9200

Maybe Ken Evans Jr. wouldn't be as expensive as we thought....
Or maybe 247 doesn't know as much as we thought....

Pieces fitting...there's another cliche. We got worse at 3 positions.

Worse than last year. Versus improving at all 5 positions if we would have kept our team.

Top Bottom