Serious Question For Researchers:

Rosemountian

Reaction score
I've tried the google. I have searched. I have asked around. I cannot find it.

What is the record for most losses as a starting QB in NCAA history?
In Big Ten history?
In Gopher history?

This is not a shot at Weber (unless he leads multiple categories) I just would like to know so I can tell statistically how much comparative agony I have had to watch in the past 4 years.

That's an interesting series of questions. They have all the stats for the winningest QB's, so I don't know why they wouldn't for the 'losingest', if that's even a word. ;)

I would suspect you'd probably have to go back and find the worst teams for prolonged stretches in college football history (like Northwestern back in the '80's, Kansas and K-State back in the '70's and '80's, and etc etc etc, there are tons of others), then find the QB's that started for 3 or 4 years for one of those dog teams, and that will probably be where your answer lies.

I can give it a look later on in the week when I've got a bit more time, though I don't know that I will have any more luck than you did.

Antwaan Randle El was a four year starter and the Hoosiers lost 28 games. He missed one game his senior year so it may have been 27 losses. Although his replacement put up good numbers. Can't find the game though. Weber has 28 so far.

Antwaan Randle El was a four year starter and the Hoosiers lost 28 games. He missed one game his senior year so it may have been 27 losses. Although his replacement put up good numbers. Can't find the game though. Weber has 28 so far.

Then must have been really, really awful. ;)

Henry Burris from Temple was on some atrocious teams. They went:

1993: 1-10
1994: 2-9
1995: 1-10
1996: 1-10

I can't find how many games in those seasons he started though. All I can find is that he played in 10, 11, 11, and 11 games respectively. My guess is he's probably the leader in career losses in Division 1.

As for the Gophers, I think it almost has to be Weber (at least, after this season)? Marquel Fleetwood, the Gophs lost 23 games I think with him in the early 90s.

I can't find how many games in those seasons he started though. All I can find is that he played in 10, 11, 11, and 11 games respectively. My guess is he's probably the leader in career losses in Division 1.

***Ding ding ding!!!!****

I can't say for certain, but it looks like you may just have the 'winner' there, or if not THE winner, then certainly one who is in serious contention as being among the biggest losers ever at the NCAA QB position.

Crazy part is, Burris has actually had a long and somewhat successful Canadian career (2 all-star teams) and even got a cup of coffee in the NFL (with Green Bay and Chicago - appearing in 6 games with the Bears).

Also, Kawaun Jakes at Western Kentucky is quickly gaining ground. He lost all 8 starts in 2009 with Western Kentucky, and is 0-4 this season. The Hilltoppers haven't won a game since they beat Eastern Kentucky in September, 2008. He's only a sophomore, so there is plenty of time for him to catch up.

Come on!

Rose-

I almost posted this earier today, but i really didnt want to bump it up. Asking your intital question is valid and all, but posting:

This is not a shot at Weber (unless he leads multiple categories) I just would like to know so I can tell statistically how much comparative agony I have had to watch in the past 4 years.

My question to you is: why post this part? Of course it is a shot at him. What else would it be? You know he's gotta be up there in career losses and probably a bunch of other undesireable categories. The Gophers have been difficult to watch lately. Weber has been the leader of the sinking ship. He has been the face of our team for 4 years. He's taken his fair share of criticism here and elsewhere for the team's struggles. How much more BS to you want to throw his way?

I see a 23 (?) year old kid who's played his heart out for our team. Was he perfect? No way. Would i have liked to have seen him play better? Absolutely. I give his a ton of credit for being a good leader to this bunch. He looks the part of a stand up young man who's playing his best for us. Sometimes it just isnt meant to be.

Please stop taking masked potshots at him. I think he's endured enough and knows the writing is on the wall for the team and the staff. Stop beating the dead horse.

Just my thoughts.

His website says he started 4 games in 1993. I guess the record depends on whether or not you give him credit for games when he didn't start, and if Temple won any of his non-starts in 93 and 94. If he only gets credit for the loss when he starts the game, Weber can still get the record.

Does anyone have Burris' stats? What was his yardage total and year by year?
What kind of turnovers did he have?
What kind of ground yardage did their running game get?

We need these stats to refute the stat happy Weber wonks.

Rose-

I almost posted this earier today, but i really didnt want to bump it up. Asking your intital question is valid and all, but posting:

My question to you is: why post this part? Of course it is a shot at him. What else would it be? You know he's gotta be up there in career losses and probably a bunch of other undesireable categories. The Gophers have been difficult to watch lately. Weber has been the leader of the sinking ship. He has been the face of our team for 4 years. He's taken his fair share of criticism here and elsewhere for the team's struggles. How much more BS to you want to throw his way?

I see a 23 (?) year old kid who's played his heart out for our team. Was he perfect? No way. Would i have liked to have seen him play better? Absolutely. I give his a ton of credit for being a good leader to this bunch. He looks the part of a stand up young man who's playing his best for us. Sometimes it just isnt meant to be.

Please stop taking masked potshots at him. I think he's endured enough and knows the writing is on the wall for the team and the staff. Stop beating the dead horse.

Just my thoughts.

This is not a potshot at Weber. Though it would quickly have turned into one had he been the leader in the clubhouse. I didn't think he was. Not many guys can have 2 .500 seasons and be in contention for most losses all time. He currently only has 28 losses, his max is 35. Well short of the record. I had kinda assumed it was around 40. I had also kinda assumed it would be in relation to a team switching levels.

But if it turns out he was the leader in NCAA history for most losses as a starter, it could and should turn into a shot at him. (it isn't).

This is off Henryburris.com Yes he has a website.......

College: Temple Owls
Had four year career at Temple University…Following career, held 20 Temple passing records…Set Big East Conference records for pass completions (558) and career passing attempts (1,136)…Was second all-time in Big East in passing yards (7,495)…Also tied for top spot with 49 passing touchdowns and 12 rushing majors…In senior season was co-captain of Temple Owls…Passed for 2,084 yards and 12 touchdowns…Was 142 of 280…Had five games of over 200 yards passing…Set school record with 445 passing yards against Pittsburgh…Named Big East Conference Player of the week twice…In 1995 was on roster for 11 games…Started 10 games and completed 139 of 300 pass attempts for 2,004 yards and 11 touchdowns…Added four rushing touchdowns…Started 11 games as a sophomore in 1994…Set eight Owl passing records…Tossed 409 balls completing 215 for 2,716 yards and 21 touchdown passes…Earned second team All-Big East Conference honors…Took Temple from last in Big East passing in 1993 for first in 1994…Saw action in 10 games as a true freshman in 1993…Started four games…Completed 62 of 149 passes and five touchdowns.

Top Bottom