Seidel: U-M survives Gophers, gains crucial experience - Detroit Free Press

Iceland12

Reaction score
http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...minnesota-confused-second-last-play/74987476/

MINNEAPOLIS – The ball was put on the ground and the clock started ticking – 19, 18, 17 seconds to play.

The Minnesota Gophers are going to spike the ball, right?

Sixteen. Fifteen.

Do they know it's running? Seriously? What in the name of Jerry Kill is going on here?

The Gophers had the ball inside the Michigan 1-yard line. A touchdown would almost certainly win the game, giving the Wolverines their second straight, last-second heartbreaker. A field goal would tie it. Yet that clock kept ticking down.

"We had the play called and thought we could get it off,” said Minnesota interim coach Tracy Claeys. “All the motions in that took a little bit longer than what we thought they would.”

You think?

This was more than mismanagement of a play clock. This was downright buffoonery.

Finally, after wasting 17 seconds, Minnesota quarterback Mitch Leidner threw incomplete. Now, the clock was stopped, which was good, because I’m not sure anybody was breathing as that bizarre drama played.

Then, finally, comically, the Gophers called a time-out with two seconds left.

Would the Gophers kick the field goal and take this game into overtime? It seemed logical. Michigan was down to its second-string quarterback, a guy who had never even completed a pass until this game.

But the Gophers went for it.

Michigan defensive coordinator D.J. Durkin was certain Minnesota would run a quarterback sneak and he set up his defense to stop it..

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...minnesota-confused-second-last-play/74987476/

MINNEAPOLIS – The ball was put on the ground and the clock started ticking – 19, 18, 17 seconds to play.

The Minnesota Gophers are going to spike the ball, right?

Sixteen. Fifteen.

Do they know it's running? Seriously? What in the name of Jerry Kill is going on here?

The Gophers had the ball inside the Michigan 1-yard line. A touchdown would almost certainly win the game, giving the Wolverines their second straight, last-second heartbreaker. A field goal would tie it. Yet that clock kept ticking down.

"We had the play called and thought we could get it off,” said Minnesota interim coach Tracy Claeys. “All the motions in that took a little bit longer than what we thought they would.”

You think?

This was more than mismanagement of a play clock. This was downright buffoonery.

Finally, after wasting 17 seconds, Minnesota quarterback Mitch Leidner threw incomplete. Now, the clock was stopped, which was good, because I’m not sure anybody was breathing as that bizarre drama played.

Then, finally, comically, the Gophers called a time-out with two seconds left.

Would the Gophers kick the field goal and take this game into overtime? It seemed logical. Michigan was down to its second-string quarterback, a guy who had never even completed a pass until this game.

But the Gophers went for it.

Michigan defensive coordinator D.J. Durkin was certain Minnesota would run a quarterback sneak and he set up his defense to stop it..
This comment says it all. By spiking the ball, Gophers could have had a shot or two at the end zone, then used the time out to kick a field goal.

This comment says it all. By spiking the ball, Gophers could have had a shot or two at the end zone, then used the time out to kick a field goal.

What is worse. With a 2 minute review before they clocked the ball in, they could have been ready to throw to the endzone immediately and had three shots at the endzone.

Agreed. Coach Claeys mentioned on WCCO radio this morning that looking back they should have spiked the ball on first down coming out of the TD review to stop the clock.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Agreed. Coach Claeys mentioned on WCCO radio this morning that looking back they should have spiked the ball on first down coming out of the TD review to stop the clock.

12 hour later Claeys still picks the third best option with what they should have done.

Best thing, use the review to have a play ready to run on first down immediately on the ready for play. Throw a fade, same ending as the spike with a chance to score.

Second best thing, call timeout.

There is no way Claeys knew the clock was running. If he knew the clock was running and they did what they did, they should not even get consideration for the head job.

12 hour later Claeys still picks the third best option with what they should have done.

Best thing, use the review to have a play ready to run on first down immediately on the ready for play. Throw a fade, same ending as the spike with a chance to score.

Second best thing, call timeout.

There is no way Claeys knew the clock was running. If he knew the clock was running and they did what they did, they should not even get consideration for the head job.
Why would one use ur timeout on 1st down when u can spike it and get the same result??

Why would one use ur timeout on 1st down when u can spike it and get the same result??

Because if you call timeout you get 3 throws to the endzone instead of 2.

The best option would be to run a fade.

Why would you spike it when you could throw a one step fade.

Because if you call timeout you get 3 throws to the endzone instead of 2.

The best option would be to run a fade.

Why would you spike it when you could throw a one step fade.

spiking it gives one the option to run on at least one, if not two (if you still decide to go for a win instead of tying FG), rather than being restricted only being able to pass the ball 2 or 3 (again 3 if one decides to go for the win instead of tying FG) times. would prefer being able to run at least once....too much can happen defensively like an INT if you are forced to throw it 2 or 3 times straight. just my opinion on how i would approach. cheers

What is worse. With a 2 minute review before they clocked the ball in, they could have been ready to throw to the endzone immediately and had three shots at the endzone.

Was thinking the same thing. Some of the worst late game coaching you'll ever see.

Top Bottom