SEC

RailBaronYarr

Reaction score
I know many on this board would agree the top of the SEC on a given year is better than nearly every conference (national championship run would hold this to be a reasonable argument) but that the media gives them a little too much love for how "deep" they are. After watching this season unfold I would strongly agree that beyond LSY and Alabama the SEC isn't much different than other major conferences.

Prime examples:

LSU(1) played Auburn(20) today. LSU is probably the best (by a little) team in the conference but Auburn was around the, what, 4-5th best team in the conference, and ranked? LSU TROUNCED them.

If Georgia continues playing as they do they will likely win the SEC East. They lost to a Boise State team at on a "neutral" field in Georgia that everyone says simply cannot compete for a national championship.

By and large SEC teams don't play anyone outside the conference so it's hard to know how good/bad they are based on the other wins. So when there's a lot of tough games within conference it's taken as the conference is "deep." The only teams who have played big OOC games are proving to be the elite: LSU beating Oregon/WVU and Alabama beating PSU on the road (27-11 against maybe the 5th best B1G team?)

I'd say there are quite a few mediocre to downright bad teams this year in the SEC: Tennessee, Vandy, Kentucky, Ole Miss, Miss St.

Heck, last year's SEC bowl record was a whopping 5-5.

Just a little sick of the SEC talk today for some reason.

Well they've won the last 5 national championships. That has to count for something.

How many of those national titles would they have won had they been played on northern soil?

That's what I thought......

How many of those national titles would they have won had they been played on northern soil?

That's what I thought......
I assume you're saying there is some sort of southern bias in college football?

Down here in the southern states, almost every one but the most delusional SEC fans would admit they'd get it handed to them
if they played in the north in cold weather. That's why SEC teams rarely if ever have played Big 10 teams in Big 10 country.

Except the non-conference games would be before the cold weather...

Don't know if I would consider Arkansas a powerhouse.

By the way, how does a razorback accumulate 220 posts on a gopher board?

By the way, how does a razorback accumulate 220 posts on a gopher board?

I was working in Minnesota and wanted to go to a Gopher game. (Because of my love of college football)
Found the board and said I wanted to go to a game and STPGopher got me a ticket.
Since then always had a little interest for the Minnesota program and just hang around here.

Oh and I never once pulled out the SEC card or anything like that.

I was mentioned for troll of the year in 2009 but didn't receive the honor.

I was working in Minnesota and wanted to go to a Gopher game. (Because of my love of college football)
Found the board and said I wanted to go to a game and STPGopher got me a ticket.
Since then always had a little interest for the Minnesota program and just hang around here.

Oh and I never once pulled out the SEC card or anything like that.

I was mentioned for troll of the year in 2009 but didn't receive the honor.

Cool, I figure everyone's a gopher fan down deep.

Based on #10 ranking going into the game, 16.5 spread, which I fully expected them to cover.:mad::mad::mad:

There were a lot of people (myself included) who were really worried about the game yesterday. Given our history with the Ole Mrs. coach, this was his super bowl. He also has a history of "pulling one out of his a$$" every year and we thought that might happen yesterday.
They were ready to play and we weren't. Luckily we made some adjustments and came out and played hard in the second half.
Yes, we barely won, but at the end of the day we went on the road and won a game.

Top Bottom