SEC Condsidering 1 Division

It would be correct in college football but it's incorrect in the NFL. Winning a division of 4 teams is a lot different than winning a conference with 16 teams.

IMO, division winners in the NFL should get a guaranteed spot in the playoffs but they should not be guaranteed a top 4 seed. It's stupid that an 8-9 team could be hosting a 13-4 team just because their division sucks.

Sorry, a bit off topic there.
For that matter, there shouldn’t be guarantees for division winners and they should just take top 14 teams

Divisions determine schedule but nothing in postseason

How much chance now? I presume now it's win and they're in. Redemption game vs Utah on a neutral field.
Yep, I was wrong on that one. They beat both and should beat Utah. Only lost to them in SLC by a point.

USC and TCU are probably in, with Georgia and Michigan.

Yep, I was wrong on that one. They beat both and should beat Utah. Only lost to them in SLC by a point.

USC and TCU are probably in, with Georgia and Michigan.
Not wrong, yet. Utah will give them all they can handle, I think.

UCLA also had their opportunity to beat them.

Not wrong, yet. Utah will give them all they can handle, I think.

UCLA also had their opportunity to beat them.
Nah.

Take your mortgage to the bookie and parlay Georgia, Michigan, USC, and TCU moneylines.

The conferences will pull out all the stops to guarantee it.

Nah.

Take your mortgage to the bookie and parlay Georgia, Michigan, USC, and TCU moneylines.

I wonder in Vegas if there is a Moneyline parlay, or only against the spread?

Also, my confidence is low in TCU.

I wonder in Vegas if there is a Moneyline parlay, or only against the spread?

Also, my confidence is low in TCU.
Probably not. Zero idea on spreads.

TCU and USC win. Book it. Conferences will hold the refs families hostage if they have to.

TCU and USC win. Book it. Conferences will hold the refs families hostage if they have to.
Having been in Vegas pretty regularly on Conference Championship weekend, just seems like chalk rarely holds throughout. Sometimes it works out for me, sometimes not.

If it doesn't pan out there's always an NBA Over/Under that can get me back.

It's been alluded to, but I don't know if this point has been mentioned. Eliminating a conference championship game probably helps get more conference teams into the Championship tournament. Maybe that's only at the margins, but it does prevent a one-loss team that loses to an underdog from the other division from falling out of the tourney. Maybe that would be an extremely rare occurrence, but I think the SEC thinks about every possible revenue angle well beyond other conferences.

It's been alluded to, but I don't know if this point has been mentioned. Eliminating a conference championship game probably helps get more conference teams into the Championship tournament. Maybe that's only at the margins, but it does prevent a one-loss team that loses to an underdog from the other division from falling out of the tourney. Maybe that would be an extremely rare occurrence, but I think the SEC thinks about every possible revenue angle well beyond other conferences.

It's possible the Committee could lessen the impact for the teams getting a Loss in the Conference Championship:

> Could value who a team beats much more than who a team loses to
> Could give extra weight to teams qualifying for the Championship game. Qualifying alone will increase Strength of Schedule

In a new 12 team format the qualification criteria is unknown. Could be much different than how a 4 team field is decided. Auto-Qualifiers alone would make it a whole ball game.

Nah.

Should have stuck with your 1st instinct that USC would not run the table vs UCLA, ND and the Utes! Wonderful game, really fun to be at.

Really shocking to the system after having followed the Big 10 West all season. Also with my previous in person football game (Hawkeyes/Gophers) being played in 15 degree temperature, and was refreshing to be in a climate controlled environment.

Glad I held off on the mortgage. Took USC to cover lost. Won the Over. Took Kansas St and Under, won both quite dramatically. Those games were so great, when it came time for the SEC Championship, I decided to go see a movie instead and gear up for the Big 10 & ACC games. Good choice. See Off Topic board for my film review.

Having been in Vegas pretty regularly on Conference Championship weekend, just seems like chalk rarely holds throughout. Sometimes it works out for me, sometimes not.

If it doesn't pan out there's always an NBA Over/Under that can get me back.
Nailed it. Both on the Top 4 not winning out and correctly assessing that the Mavs/Knicks would be a quasi brick-festival in a Saturday matinee at MSG.

Overall for the week, modestly above .500 winning percentage but with the juice pretty much broke even. Pretty happy with that since I had dug a hole previously.

Similar to the Big Ten East. If you put Alabama in the East or Ohio State in the Big Ten West instantly that division is viewed as the 'better division.' No, they just have the best team.
Or waite for USC & UCLA to join the west.

Or waite for USC & UCLA to join the west.
As a Gopher season ticket holder, watching USC in person, that may be the worst defense I have seen all season other than Western Illinois.

Should have stuck with your 1st instinct that USC would not run the table vs UCLA, ND and the Utes! Wonderful game, really fun to be at.

Really shocking to the system after having followed the Big 10 West all season. Also with my previous in person football game (Hawkeyes/Gophers) being played in 15 degree temperature, and was refreshing to be in a climate controlled environment.

Glad I held off on the mortgage. Took USC to cover lost. Won the Over. Took Kansas St and Under, won both quite dramatically. Those games were so great, when it came time for the SEC Championship, I decided to go see a movie instead and gear up for the Big 10 & ACC games. Good choice. See Off Topic board for my film review.

Nailed it. Both on the Top 4 not winning out and correctly assessing that the Mavs/Knicks would be a quasi brick-festival in a Saturday matinee at MSG.

Overall for the week, modestly above .500 winning percentage but with the juice pretty much broke even. Pretty happy with that since I had dug a hole previously.
I was definitely wrong! TCU game was overtime, but USC had no chance.

Top Bottom