Season Poll (Pre-exhibition game version)

Pick the closest

• 14-15 B10 Wins (~10 non-conference wins) - Count us among the dominant men of the league

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CPTMidnight

Reaction score
Everyone is speculating on the how the team will do this year and yet nobody has really seen the team play yet short of a summer practice for the fortunate few. I thought it might be fun to see others' predictions before Macalester Exhibition game begins to expose the team for who they really are.

Where will they finish based on your knowledge of our remaining roster, incoming players, and the coach?

I have no idea what they will do but I have my own idea about what they should do to get Ben Johnson another year. I believe that they should have at least a 17-14 overall regular season with 7 conference wins. I suppose I would be somewhat disappointed with a 16-15 overall regular season record but that would still be significant improvement and I wouldn't be angry if he were retained for another year in that case. It must be said that Fred Hoiberg's teams performed worse than that during his first three years at Nebraska and he's still there.

Anything less than that, I think he should be terminated.

I could see them somehow pulling out a 10-1 non-con with this slate (8-3 most likely), however I can’t imagine them winning more than 2-4 conference games this season. We were entertaining at times last season, so I have been wrong before. Ultimately, if I were a betting man I’d bet we end up with 11 wins. Also we currently have the same odds (+15000) of winning the Big Ten this year as New Mexico (+15000) winning the NCAA tournament this season! Sigh.

I have no idea what they will do but I have my own idea about what they should do to get Ben Johnson another year. I believe that they should have at least a 17-14 overall regular season with 7 conference wins. I suppose I would be somewhat disappointed with a 16-15 overall regular season record but that would still be significant improvement and I wouldn't be angry if he were retained for another year in that case. It must be said that Fred Hoiberg's teams performed worse than that during his first three years at Nebraska and he's still there.

Anything less than that, I think he should be terminated.
I agree. This is the U of M however and they will not make a change unless there is a total collapse of the team with the players giving up - then I could see a change midseason. Other than that he probably stays assuming a couple more wins that last year.

That being said I do think he gets his 7 conference wins this year. 17-14 overall (7-13 in the B10).

I predicted 6 conference wins in the other thread poll we had on that earlier in the summer. After watching practice, I am confident enough to predict 7 conference wins with 9 non-conference wins. Still may not be good enough to get another year, but would still be significant improvement over the last 2.

This is the U of M however and they will not make a change unless there is a total collapse of the team with the players giving up - then I could see a change midseason. Other than that he probably stays assuming a couple more wins that last year.

You might be right that he wouldn't be fired after two or three more wins next season. I'm not sure. I believed he was entitled to at least three years because that's the minimum tenure I've seen in recent history for failed Big Ten coaches (Todd Lickliter with Iowa and Eddie Jordan with Rutgers). I think Ben began the job with more significant disadvantages than they did. I guess the worst that could happen for me is that I would have to watch more losing basketball but I've been conditioned to that over the last four years. But, we both believe that the team can do better so I hope they prove us right.

Without having seen this group practice or play together this would just be a WAG on my part. I would rather see the poll close on Friday November 3rd than at 8:39pm on Nov 2nd. That way those of us who attend the exhibition game could make a more informed WAG.

Just looked through our schedule, I think we finish 13-18 overall.

Decided to lean towards my optimistic side and go with 8-10 BT wins along with 9 non-conference wins. I am really looking forward to Payne and JOJ having great sophomore seasons. We know what Garcia can do. A healthy Carrington will add to the mix. The depth of the roster is the best in quite a while. If the new players contribute and we are able to get decent guard play this may be in the realm of possibilities. Hope BJ gets coach of the year.

Decided to lean towards my optimistic side and go with 8-10 BT wins along with 9 non-conference wins. I am really looking forward to Payne and JOJ having great sophomore seasons. We know what Garcia can do. A healthy Carrington will add to the mix. The depth of the roster is the best in quite a while. If the new players contribute and we are able to get decent guard play this may be in the realm of possibilities. Hope BJ gets coach of the year.
That certainly is optimism, and I hope you’re right.

I voted 5 - 7 wins but I don't think that's enough for BJ to be retained.

I also think the variance is very high. There are a lot of question marks in the big ten outside of Michigan State and Purdue (who both still have a few question marks).

Illinois beat Kansas in an exhibition game, they are going to be tough.

Illinois beat Kansas in an exhibition game, they are going to be tough.
I don’t rate exhibitions. They have some dudes but I’ll form my opinion of them after they play a few real games.

I don't think they're going to be as bad as some people predict.

I don't think they're going to be as good as some people predict.

so - splitting the difference - I see the season ending with 14, 15 or 16 wins. (14-17; 15-16 or 16-15).
does that get Johnson another year? I think that might depend on how they do in the B1G Tournament. If the Gophs go 14-17 and lose on the first or 2nd day of the tournament, I think it's possible that Johnson is done. If the team has an overall winning record, then Johnson returns.

What was the game show where people had to guess how much something cost and always had one person that guessed $1 when everyone else tried to guess the actual price? I'm guessing $1.

That's what my sarcasm says, but I chose 5-7 wins and was on the fence about 8-10. I'm a homer. Don't laugh at me like people do to Corn Nation guy.

I’m going 8 or 9 non conference and 4 b10 wins. 12-13 total. Ben survives and the board blows up

This team will be lucky to get 2-4 B1G Conference wins. Our guard play needs to improve by lightyears, not miles. Our 4 & 5 need to be 1,000% more aggressive than they were last year.

Based on what we were last year and the intensity of conference play, I don't see this team coming together, working together and succeeding together. I see a group of individuals being convinced that it is in their own best interest to not be selfish, not play hero ball and not put themselves ahead of the team. Professional BB teams have that problem and playing Pro BB is the goal of 90% of the players in the conference.

Top Bottom