Seantrel to Gophers?

Max is right. It doesn't matter where you play. The NFL has pro days at nearly every school including D-II. This has been going on since the 60's and 70's. The Cowboys used to be a part of BLESTO (along with a few other teams) a scouting and evaluation system that would leave no stone unturned in discovering talent. Off the top of my head Drew Pearson (free agent-Tulsa) and Cliff Harris (free agent-Ouachita Baptist College) were all-pro's. Playing at a big time program didn't matter then or now.

Jerry Rice: Mississippi Valley State. NFL..1st round..#16

Here are the offensive tackles taken in the first round of the NFL draft since 2000, sorted by school. (sorry about the formatting)

No school has more than 2 in those 10 years. Hard to say there is a dominant school for 'big paycheck' OT development. Also note the ability of the NFL to find these players (Baylor, Central Michigan, Utah, Vanderbilt, Virginia, etc.)

Year Name Team School
2009 Andre Smith Bengals Alabama
2000 Chris Samuels Redskins Alabama
2002 Levi Jones Bengals Arizona State
2004 Shawn Andrews Eagles Arkansas
2009 Jason Smith Rams Baylor
2008 Ryan Clady Broncos Boise State
2008 Gosder Cherilus Lions Boston College
2002 Marc Colombo Bears Boston College
2007 Joe Staley 49ers Central Michigan
2001 Kenyatta Walker Buccaneers Florida
2005 Alex Barron Rams Florida State
2003 George Foster Broncos Georgia
2004 Robert Gallery Raiders Iowa
2002 Bryant McKinnie Vikings Miami (FL)
2008 Jake Long Dolphins Michigan
2001 Jeff Backus Lions Michigan
2009 Michael Oher Ravens Mississippi
2005 Jammal Brown Saints Oklahoma
2000 Stockar McDougle Lions Oklahoma
2007 Levi Brown Cardinals Penn State
2008 Jeff Otah Panthers Pittsburgh
2003 Kwame Harris 49ers Stanford
2002 Mike Williams Bills Texas
2001 Leonard Davis Cardinals Texas
2008 Sam Baker Falcons USC
2003 Jordan Gross Panthers Utah
2008 Chris Williams Bears Vanderbilt
2009 Eugene Monroe Jaguars Virginia
2006 D'Brickashaw Ferguson Jets Virginia
2008 Duane Brown Texans Virginia Tech
2007 Joe Thomas Browns Wisconsin
2000 Chris McIntosh Seahawks Wisconsin

Jason Smith was drafted number 2 overall last year from a Baylor team that went 4-8 last year.

i don't think that SH is going to be attending Minnesota and i think that we all need to realize that, but the argument that he won't be drafted, or playing at minnesota will hurt where he is drafted is simply not true. if he proves himself to be a good football player he will be drafter at the position of his talent level whether he is playing at Minnesota, Baylor or OSU.

For the last freakin time...

It all boils down to him wanting to play in front of family and friends or the possibility of great bowl games followed by a huge paycheck. Kinda hard for a kid to pass up the latter.

SouthMetro

In no way does where an O line play equal "huge paycheck". Where did the number 1 O-lineman come from last year? Baylor. In no way, shape, or form does big school= Number 1 draft pick for O lineman. here's last years pre-draft rankings:
Britton, Eben Arizona
Mack, Alex California
Monroe, Eugene Virginia
Oher, Michael Mississippi (obviously they meant Orr)
Smith, Andre Alabama
Smith, Jason Baylor
Unger, Max Oregon

Alabama and maybe Oregon/ California could be top flight schools, in recent history, for Football, the rest are middle of the pack or lower in their conferences, normally. Some draft people argue it is better to be the big fish then the be the first among equals. So, Half and half roughly. Did Baylor play in some "big time " bowls I missed?
BTW...2008 Michigan (Close to a bust) Boise State (solid) Vanderbilt (solid) and Virginia(Solid)

Don't feel like back-reading so sorry if this has been posted, but FWIW rivals has Minnesota listed as "none" for interest.

It is spelled Oher, not Orr. Bobby Orr played for the Bruins.

If you are an offensive tackle and you want to play AGAINST the best defensive ends in the country, then the data shows you want to play in the Big Ten.

Since 2000, Penn State has had 4 DEs drafted in the first round, Ohio State 3 DEs in the first round. No other school in the country has more than 2 in that time frame.

Year Name Team School
2008 Vernon Gholston Jets Ohio State
2004 Will Smith Saints Ohio State
2001 Ryan Pickett Rams Ohio State
2009 Aaron Maybin Bills Penn State
2006 Tamba Hali Chiefs Penn State
2003 Michael Haynes Bears Penn State
2000 Courtney Brown Browns Penn State

I think it would be right on par as opening tcf bank if we landed s. Henderson. It could happen, but let's remember that every school in the country doesn't land all their top instate recruits. Souhan, reusse and company will take this and make it look like brew totally screwed the pooch by not landing a guy in his own backyard. I can already see the sentence in the strib 'if brew can't make hometown talent to stay home and play for him how is he going to compete with the Texas's of the world for Texas talent?'
Facts are even schools like Penn state and Michigan can't get all the top recruits in theiir state to stay home...terrell pryor and mark ingram for example. Every state has this problem from time to time. I think it gets magnified here because of the location of the university in a big city and also because of the fact we are a state with only one d1 football team. I'm sure the state of Texas keeps most of their top talent just due to the fact they have over 5 d1 football teams.

"What is this play against a "better" team in a big time bowl?"

Pretty self explanatory isn't it? Who did we play in our bowl game that helped to win recruits. The best players obviously want to go to the best programs. You are correct and so is the previous poster that it depends on their performance at any school they attend on whether or not they are drafted and what position they go. But the odds say their chances improve at a top flight program with better athletes around them, and the added exposure it brings. It's an advantage, that's all i'm saying. And how are my comments disrespectful to the U of M? I haven't disrespected them, i've given them much of my time and dollars over the years.

SouthMetro

SouthMetro-You need a hug or a role model or something. You are bitter as hell and I don't get it. You claim you give dollars, you have season tickets, etc and then it feels like you take shots at the same institution that you claim to support. You talked like Vraa was the U's saving grace, now you think it matters what school you go to in order to get drafted. This is a business and if a kid can play ball he will be found. that tackle from Baylor was drafted quite high last season and if i recall Baylor isnt a national power. yes usc, miami, florida, texas all seem to have the most nfl talent-but i would say miami, gainesvills, l.a., austin are areas that are much easier to recruit to! im a gopher fan and given the option to play in minneapolis in front of negative fans like yourself-i may have leaned to heading to 75 and sunny all year with a fanbase that know how to support a program! You wan t to believe its about exposure? I bet it looks better to be a dominant OL over Penn St, Ohio St, Mich, Iowa, and Wisky compared to being a dominate OL against Minny, Northwestern, Indiana, Mich St. yes I understand a few teams over lap but you get my point

Does it matter?

Ok, let's assume Seantrel's focus is going professional. Does it really matter where he goes to school? The scouts seem to think he has NFL talent already.

So, and please argue with me, here's how I see the USC vs. Minnesota match-up.

Weather: USC
Family: Minnesota
Pro Potential: Doesn't matter, he's a tackle and can block at either school
Chance to win: USC
Coaching: Doesn't matter, Davis has developed linemen at Alabama
Exposure: USC
Familiarity with area/program: Minnesota

So, what are his priorities? If his family is a big deal, I don't see USC in the picture. But--- just how much time does he want with his family is a huge question. Ohio State could make a strong case against USC---- as could Notre Dame.

But if Seantrel wants exposure and hot co-eds, I'd go to USC too.

That is 100% false.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/minnesota/football/recruiting/player-Seantrel-Henderson-71634

Iowa and Minnesota have been eliminated, as per Seantrel. He has stopped mentioning either team as a contender in interviews with national media. If he is interviewed by a MN or IA source, he will say Minnesota or Iowa (as relevant) are still in it.

I don't post anything like this w/o a source, which I provided the other day, but will do again:

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/recr...date=null&month=01092010&set=0&fullmonth=null

Per January 7th, according to ESPN, Seantrel has schedules his 5th visit for Miami. I know what Rivals says, I'm telling you what ESPN is saying.

Is it false? You don't know any more than I do. So eat it.

yes

"You don't think he plays at the next level if he goes to the U? "

Sure he can, but don't his opportunities increase at a big time program. That sure makes sense doesn't it? Am I going crazy here or what?

SouthMetro
yes

That is 100% false.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/minnesota/football/recruiting/player-Seantrel-Henderson-71634

Iowa and Minnesota have been eliminated, as per Seantrel. He has stopped mentioning either team as a contender in interviews with national media. If he is interviewed by a MN or IA source, he will say Minnesota or Iowa (as relevant) are still in it.

Minnesota is a close second right now closing the gap with each passing day. Rooming with Gjere for the all American game this weekend just helped as does Pete Carrolls leaving.

Football recruiting is crazy and things change so quick and there is so much mis-information out there and it's really hard to know what to believe but I will post this anyways.

Talkied to a current member of the team, who also has been friends with SH for years, he said Seantrel hangs out at the U all the time and is down there almost every weekend when he's not on a visit. He doesn't spend alot of time at the football complex but just hanging out with his friends on both the football and basketball teams.

He said Minnesota has always been a major player for SH whether the national media accepts it or not. Seantrel hates dealing with recruiting, from all the coaches to recruiting guys to normal media, which is why his dad took over much of it a couple months ago. Said his dad is a good guy but loves the attention from major programs and national media.

From what Seantrel was telling MN players recently, USC was his favorite, with MN. second, followed by Ohio St. Like I said before, i trust that this person isn't lying but i also have become so skeptical of any football recruiting information that I have no idea what to truly believe anymore.

JohnnyGopher love your recruiting updates and inside info, keep them coming as we get closer to signing day.

I'll take Johnny gophers take over most. I like it. If you couple Johnny's take with the stories coming out of the AA game about all the USC kids backing off right now, its starting to look mighty interesting.

I had almost given up hope that we could snag this guy, but with the comments about Seantrel rooming with Gjere coupled with JG's post, I have renewed optimism.

Seantrel, if you want to end all this recruiting hoopla, just commit to Minnesota :)

I had almost given up hope that we could snag this guy, but with the comments about Seantrel rooming with Gjere coupled with JG's post, I have renewed optimism.

Seantrel, if you want to end all this recruiting hoopla, just commit to Minnesota :)

And bring some of your friends from the army game!

Ooooooh!

JohnnyGopher's post makes me feel warm inside!!!

I want to believe it, I really do.

Football recruiting is crazy and things change so quick and there is so much mis-information out there and it's really hard to know what to believe but I will post this anyways.

Talkied to a current member of the team, who also has been friends with SH for years, he said Seantrel hangs out at the U all the time and is down there almost every weekend when he's not on a visit. He doesn't spend alot of time at the football complex but just hanging out with his friends on both the football and basketball teams.

He said Minnesota has always been a major player for SH whether the national media accepts it or not. Seantrel hates dealing with recruiting, from all the coaches to recruiting guys to normal media, which is why his dad took over much of it a couple months ago. Said his dad is a good guy but loves the attention from major programs and national media.

From what Seantrel was telling MN players recently, USC was his favorite, with MN. second, followed by Ohio St. Like I said before, i trust that this person isn't lying but i also have become so skeptical of any football recruiting information that I have no idea what to truly believe anymore.

jizzinmypants14.jpg

Just when I had totally given up hope, this comes along. Great.

Top Bottom