Seantrel to Gophers?

gopherrising

Reaction score
Just maybe the stars are aligned for the gophers. Seantrel's favorite schools were ND, Florida, USC, Ohio State and Gophers. ND fires coach, Florida coach quits (kinda), USC coach heading to the pro's (maybe) which leaves Ohio State and Minnesota. We have a much better chance than before to actually land him. Still a long shot, but maybe we finally get the break we need to elevate the program to the next level.

It certainly is starting to have that feel, in that this could actually happen, but as you said still a longshot.

This has no doubt already been discussed, but I wonder if SH would turn down the Gophs because the fan base would almost put too much pressure on him to get the program turned around. At OSU, he'd be surrounded by lots of other HS All-Americans and recent success, so the level of external pressure on him would be much less intense.

It has that unfortunate possibility of hurting us. What helped us before was that we were the odd ball choice against more similar programs. We stuck out, sometimes you win that way. Now it's looking like us or tOSU.

Just maybe the stars are aligned for the gophers. Seantrel's favorite schools were ND, Florida, USC, Ohio State and Gophers. ND fires coach, Florida coach quits (kinda), USC coach heading to the pro's (maybe) which leaves Ohio State and Minnesota. We have a much better chance than before to actually land him. Still a long shot, but maybe we finally get the break we need to elevate the program to the next level.

It's a nice thought but you still need a QB who's consistent and an offensive coordinator who knows how to work with college players. We got neither.

how about giving someone 1 season

It's a nice thought but you still need a QB who's consistent and an offensive coordinator who knows how to work with college players. We got neither.

We have both. Gray will be outstanding, better than Pryor, a little less than Daryl Clark. Jedd Fisch is no dummy, he is obviously a very good offensive mind working with the coaches he has worked with. He needs to tone it down to work with College kids and I think he will learn that. It will also help when the offense actually executes the plays. But our QB and our OC will be fine in time.

It certainly is starting to have that feel, in that this could actually happen, but as you said still a longshot.

This has no doubt already been discussed, but I wonder if SH would turn down the Gophs because the fan base would almost put too much pressure on him to get the program turned around. At OSU, he'd be surrounded by lots of other HS All-Americans and recent success, so the level of external pressure on him would be much less intense.

Seantrel would give the skill players the chance to turn it around, an O Lineman is not going to feel pressure. With Seantrel blocking, Gray, McKnight, and Lipscomb (in 2011) can feel the pressure to turn it around.

If all the rumors of coaches leaving are true, NOW is the time to give Brewster that extension. NOW.

If all the rumors of coaches leaving are true, NOW is the time to give Brewster that extension. NOW.

Why is that, do you honestly think he would even be interviewed for any of these open or potentially soon to be open coaching positions?

He already has the extension, and I think he means for recruiting purposes.

Horsesh*t. If USC is out, OSU is in.

We have both. Gray will be outstanding, better than Pryor, a little less than Daryl Clark. Jedd Fisch is no dummy, he is obviously a very good offensive mind working with the coaches he has worked with. He needs to tone it down to work with College kids and I think he will learn that. It will also help when the offense actually executes the plays. But our QB and our OC will be fine in time.

I would really like to believe you about Gray.....but, from what I've heard about him, he really doesn't have the mental toughness yet to operate well in high pressure situations. These kids have an unbelievable amount of pressure on them. Maybe some experience will help him along - I hope so because the team needs the QB to show confidence and leadership on the offense.

I'd put it at about 1% (or less). Even with the stuff at USC and Florida he'd still have OSU to fall back on. I don't think Tressel is going anywhere.

I hope he comes here but I think its still a very long shot.

What % of true Freshmen QB's are ready to play at the Big-10 level? Not many. I think the coaches know best who will help us win and played him accordingly. He clearly made strides as the season progressed. Just because he couldn't adapt to a new life at the U, school work and a D1 playbook in his 1st year is no reason to assume he's a bust. He looked good in our bowl game (Obvious blunder aside) and I think that's a glimpse of what we'll see next year & beyond. That said, I too think SH ends up in the Midwest. ND/OSU are the front runners in my mind w/ Minnesota & Iowa be just a notch behind.

What % of true Freshmen QB's are ready to play at the Big-10 level? Not many. I think the coaches know best who will help us win and played him accordingly. He clearly made strides as the season progressed. Just because he couldn't adapt to a new life at the U, school work and a D1 playbook in his 1st year is no reason to assume he's a bust. He looked good in our bowl game (Obvious blunder aside) and I think that's a glimpse of what we'll see next year & beyond. That said, I too think SH ends up in the Midwest. ND/OSU are the front runners in my mind w/ Minnesota & Iowa be just a notch behind.

I think he actually showed quite a bit this year. He has a great future ahead of him.

It all boils down to him wanting to play in front of family and friends or the possibility of great bowl games followed by a huge paycheck. Kinda hard for a kid to pass up the latter.

SouthMetro

You don't think he plays at the next level if he goes to the U?

"You don't think he plays at the next level if he goes to the U? "

Sure he can, but don't his opportunities increase at a big time program. That sure makes sense doesn't it? Am I going crazy here or what?

SouthMetro

No, i've always said that I think he will go to USC and that he probably should.

I just think when you phrase things like..."he can either play in front of his friends and family OR play in a big bowl game followed by a nice pay check", you are merely using a form of indirect hyperbole to make your point.

Hi Bob, the reason I stated it that way is that the only (sure) thing with the Gophers is the family and friends angle. If he wallows on a poor team for 4 years there are no guarantees. But he would most likely benefit greatly at a big-time program. Anyway, I think we agree. That would probably be a first for me at this forum. LOL

Thanks,

SouthMetro

"You don't think he plays at the next level if he goes to the U? "

Sure he can, but don't his opportunities increase at a big time program. That sure makes sense doesn't it? Am I going crazy here or what?

SouthMetro

You might be. And it doesn't make complete sense if you consider how the NFL operates. They don't care if they're watching a guy from USC pancake everybody in sight or if the guy is playing for Indiana. It's about demonstrated proficiency and things they measure. Height, weight, speed, quickness, agility, etc.

"You might be. And it doesn't make complete sense if you consider how the NFL operates. They don't care if they're watching a guy from USC pancake everybody in sight or if the guy is playing for Indiana. It's about demonstrated proficiency and things they measure. Height, weight, speed, quickness, agility, etc."

As I said, he could make the NFL as a Gopher. But his opportunities such as high level bowl appearances, better quality opponents in those bowl games and the increased national exposure that come with them as well as better quality team competition is invaluable to a kid preparing for the NFL. Who do you think NFL teams covet the most in preparing kids for the next level, a Minnesota or Indiana, or USC?

SouthMetro

Max is right. It doesn't matter where you play. The NFL has pro days at nearly every school including D-II. This has been going on since the 60's and 70's. The Cowboys used to be a part of BLESTO (along with a few other teams) a scouting and evaluation system that would leave no stone unturned in discovering talent. Off the top of my head Drew Pearson (free agent-Tulsa) and Cliff Harris (free agent-Ouachita Baptist College) were all-pro's. Playing at a big time program didn't matter then or now.

Rooming with Gjere for -

the week should help the Gophers chances. What do you think they talk about in their spare time?

"Playing at a big time program didn't matter then or now."

Well that's great news, too bad the highly touted recruits don't see it that way. Oh well...

SouthMetro

What is this play against a "better" team in a big time bowl? Wasn't USC playing Ohio State for the national championship? Last time I checked, tOSU was in the Big Ten and playing the Gophers almost every year.

It is all about how he plays, not where he plays. It is not like Minnesota is in the WAC or DIII!

All this disrespect for our school is crazy, we have not been a powerhouse lately, but most DI schools would love to have as many National Championships as we have won.

"What is this play against a "better" team in a big time bowl?"

Pretty self explanatory isn't it? Who did we play in our bowl game that helped to win recruits. The best players obviously want to go to the best programs. You are correct and so is the previous poster that it depends on their performance at any school they attend on whether or not they are drafted and what position they go. But the odds say their chances improve at a top flight program with better athletes around them, and the added exposure it brings. It's an advantage, that's all i'm saying. And how are my comments disrespectful to the U of M? I haven't disrespected them, i've given them much of my time and dollars over the years.

SouthMetro

Top Bottom