Scrimmage tomorrow?

Here is the link for the OU board where they discuss this topic:

it's a no-win situation. if they played well, then "it's just a scrimmage."

if they played poorly, then the doom-sayers would be proclaiming that the season is already over.
Yeah you could that about any team any year, but they still have always released. The expectations are rock bottom, can the results of a closed scrimmage win really sway opinion that much? I can guarantee any "doom-sayers" are already extremely skeptical, withholding the results of a closed scrimmage only adds more skepticism to the pot.

Nothing has changed. We are going to be really really bad this year. We have a good start on recruiting but Ben is going to need a killer spring class to restore any optimism.

Looks like just one person on a message board is claiming to know how the scrimmage went. FWIW, it seems like a number of these scrimmages are staying secret including the Gophers/Sooners matchup this year as a lot of fans on social meida are hunting for results/info of their teams scrimmage and finding no information. Personally, I'd probably rather lose these scrimmages as a coach than win them. Fix mistakes, nobody gets too high on their ability, etc,etc. Also a lost of these scrimmages vary in how they are run. Some do two separate halves where the score reverts to 0-0, some work on specific situations, some play mostly their regular rotation while others give everyone equal playing time or try out different lineup combinations. Without any of that context, a score doesn't tell you much anyways.

Lost by 20+ according OUhoops message board. If true that is not good for a closed scrimmage.
Thats good consider our roster. Ill take it. If it was 30+ then id be a little worried but this is where the staff starts to coach up the players. Sets a baseline.

Looks like just one person on a message board is claiming to know how the scrimmage went. FWIW, it seems like a number of these scrimmages are staying secret including the Gophers/Sooners matchup this year as a lot of fans on social meida are hunting for results/info of their teams scrimmage and finding no information. Personally, I'd probably rather lose these scrimmages as a coach than win them. Fix mistakes, nobody gets too high on their ability, etc,etc. Also a lost of these scrimmages vary in how they are run. Some do two separate halves where the score reverts to 0-0, some work on specific situations, some play mostly their regular rotation while others give everyone equal playing time or try out different lineup combinations. Without any of that context, a score doesn't tell you much anyways.
I’ll take the reported outcome at fave value, but for the reasons you stated, it doesn’t matter much. The most fun I had over there was reading their description of the state of our team!

Well at least they can focus on some weaknesses and hopefully see some strengths. I think we all know we're likely in for a long, strange season so buckle up.

Kind of funny thread on the OU side, a lot of "just looked at the MN roster and ummmm not great" "they are going to finish way bottom of the B1G could have just got a better run from ORU"

I mean yah there is really no reason for them to publish the stats. If we got crushed I'm sure Ben didnt want it out there to bring fan/player morale down even further, if we played them tough and/or won the OU fans dont want to hear they lost to a team picked to finish dead last in the B1G.

From Marcus Fuller in the Strib:

There's only so far scrimmaging in practice could get the Gophers men's basketball team, so last Saturday's scrimmage at Oklahoma was a win-win situation no matter the outcome.

Word out of that closed scrimmage was that Minnesota coach Ben Johnson's newcomer-laden team was overmatched against the Sooners. No official box score was kept, but "we needed that," Gophers senior guard Luke Loewe said.

"It was definitely a good learning experience," Loewe said from Wednesday's Gophers media day. "We as a team, we'll definitely take a lot from it to help us."

Top Bottom