Schedule Comparison

tjgopher

Reaction score
No one knows for sure how the Big Ten schedule will ever play out, and it really doesn't matter, maybe one spot on the seed line for Big Ten Tourney, but the Gophers didn't get a big break on the schedule.

Top five teams right now: MSU, MICH, PUR, WIS, MD
Bottom four teams right now: NW, NEB, PSU, IND

MINNESOTA IS 9-10 in Big Ten (currently 7th place).
IOWA IS 10-8 in Big Ten (currently 6th place).

MINNESOTA has or will will have played the top five teams NINE TIMES (2-6 so far).
--Everyone twice, except MSU, which was AT MSU.

IOWA has or will have played the top five teams SEVEN TIMES (1-5 so far).
--Only Wis & MSU twice. The one-plays were home vs. MICH and vs. MD, and at PUR,

MINNESOTA has or will have played the bottom four teams FIVE TIMES (4-1).
--Only NEB twice. Once vs. PSU, IND, @NW

IOWA has or will have had played the bottom four teams SEVEN TIMES (6-0 so far).
--IND, NW, NEB twice. Once @PSU.

Some years you get the luck in the schedule, some years you don't. I know that no one probably cares about it (and my numbers could be off). Looks like Ken Pom says Iowa and Michigan played the softest Big Ten schedules (conference games).

Last edited:

I like the 20 game schedule because it reduces this issue a little bit

Strange that just a few years ago there was a 16 game schedule

No one knows for sure how the Big Ten schedule will ever play out, and it really doesn't matter, maybe one spot on the seed line for Big Ten Tourney, but the Gophers didn't get a big break on the schedule.

Top five teams right now: MSU, MICH, PUR, WIS, MD
Bottom four teams right now: NW, NEB, PSU, IND

MINNESOTA IS 9-10 in Big Ten (currently 7th place).
IOWA IS 10-8 in Big Ten (currently 6th place).

MINNESOTA has or will will have played the top five teams NINE TIMES (2-6 so far).
--Everyone twice, except MSU, which was AT MSU.

IOWA has or will have played the top five teams SEVEN TIMES (1-5 so far).
--Only Wis & MSU twice. The one-plays were home vs. MICH and vs. MD, and at PUR,

MINNESOTA has or will have played the bottom four teams FIVE TIMES (4-1).
--Only NEB twice. Once vs. PSU, IND, @NW

IOWA has or will have had played the bottom four teams SEVEN TIMES (6-0 so far).
--IND, NW, NEB twice. Once @PSU.

Some years you get the luck in the schedule, some years you don't. I know that no one probably cares about it (and my numbers could be off). Looks like Ken Pom says Iowa and Michigan played the softest Big Ten schedules (conference games).

Good stuff. And the Selection Committee will be aware of these kind of schedule nuances. I like the fact Gophers have two wins (@ Wisconsin, Purdue) over the four teams likely to end up with double-byes. Doesn't sound like much, but it's better than a lot of (presumed) bubble teams from the ACC & SEC will have vs. their respective conferences' top 4.

This is why conference records don't matter as much as people think.

Top Bottom