Schad: The Gophers are going to throw the ball more in 2023. If they want to win the Big Ten West, that's something they'll have to do.

BleedGopher

Reaction score

Many (including me) have wanted to see more passing and we seem to be on the doorstep of that. But more passing comes with more short possessions and more pressure on a defense that struggles to get to the QB. 😬

per Schad:

The Gophers are going to throw the ball more in 2023. If they want to win the Big Ten West, that's something they'll have to do. But if Taylor can add a home-run threat and one of the younger backs can step up, it should make life easier on the passing game, which could lead Minnesota to its most explosive offense in recent memory.

Go Gophers!!
"Taylor." Umm... It's Tyler. Sean Tyler. Not Taylor.

Many (including me) have wanted to see more passing and we seem to be on the doorstep of that. But more passing comes with more short possessions and more pressure on a defense that struggles to get to the QB. 😬

Not necessarily. This offense should look a lot more like the 2019 offense. That offense was 4th in the B1G in passing and 4th in the B1G in time of possession. On average that team only had the ball 2 minutes less per game than last seasons team.

Agreed. Fleck will still want long sustained drives. He'll just use more throws to achieve both that and more explosion when needed.

Very excited to see what Tyler, Evans, and Taylor bring to the table with veteran Bryce Williams (plus Jordan Nubin, Max Grand, Marquese Williams, and Cortez LeGrant).

#RowTheBoat #RunTheBall #RockTheBank

Bits on Taylor from the article:

Taylor's production was a good reason the Gophers were interested as he carried the ball 268 times for 2,450 yards and had three six-touchdown games during his senior season at Walled Lake Western High School in Michigan.

"I think he can handle 30 to 39 carries," Fleck said of Taylor last December. "Every week it looked like we were watching a video game...so maybe Mo's records might be broken by the guy he helped recruit to bring in here and I know Mo would love that."

Taylor is another prized recruit, choosing Minnesota over Big Ten rivals Michigan, Wisconsin and Iowa as a four-star recruit in 2023. He was so coveted that Fleck called him one of the "prized recruits" in this year's incoming class and referenced his NIL offers..

Bits on Evans from the article:

Evans was a three-star recruit for the Gophers in the 2021 class and picked Minnesota over several Power Five schools including Arizona State, Iowa, Kansas, Notre Dame, Texas and Utah. His freshman season was derailed due to injury but he turned heads while scoring twice, including a 75-yard touchdown, in the Gophers spring game in April.

it made me feel really good because [Evans] does it all the time," Fleck told reporters in April. "It's the third level, making somebody miss at that safety level. Instead of just getting tackled for a gain of 12, you saw him make someone at the third level miss and now it's a huge run for 70 yards."

Bits on Tyler from the article:

He already has a productive track record at Western Michigan. A fifth-year senior, Tyler ran for 1,000 yards in back-to-back seasons with the Broncos and averaged 6.5 yards per carry during the 2021 season. With speed to burn, this could give Minnesota's backfield a more dynamic threat.

Running back room also added true frosh Marquese Williams, who had a stellar career at traditional power McDevitt in Harrisburg, PA:

Ran for 4,465 yards and 71 touchdowns on 545 carries (8.2) yards per carry, and caught 47 passes for 655 yards and 10 more touchdowns in his career • invited to the 2023 Polynesian Bowl • helped lead the Crusaders to a state title in 2022 • in his senior season, rushed 167 times for 1,501 yards (9.0 yards per carry) and had 20 receptions for 317 yards and four touchdowns • as a junior, achieved 1,697 yards and 26 touchdowns on 170 carries (10.0 yards per carry) and caught 13 passes for 217 yards and five scores • was a MaxPreps Freshman All-American after rushing 155 times for 1019 yards (6.6 yards per carry) and 15 touchdowns

And, Fleck loves his walk-on RBs Jordan Nubin and Max Grand...

Last edited:

Everyone should do the thing I want them to do if they know what is good for them.

Unless they’re bad at it… then what were they thinking?!?!?!?

Well they came within a few plays of winning in three of the last four years, so not sure a big change to the offense is what is required to win the west. How about they just need to make a couple more plays?

Fleck is still Fleck until proven otherwise.

meaning - I do not expect the Gophers to start throwing the ball 40+ times a game.

If I remember correctly, last year the averages per game were 45 runs and 22 passes. 67% run.
so if they go - let's say - 40 runs and 27 passes this year, that is just under 60% run.

I would be surprised if the ratio falls much under 60% run - unless they hit a defense that shuts down the run. then I could see more passing out of necessity.

Top Bottom