Saul: What was wrong with him?

forestlaker

Reaction score
Ok, I know he got a DWI but are there any other factsthat say he was not a good coach?

I think the behavior like he had already given up at the end of the Florida game was evidence enough

Gopherphan, I'm not sure what your are referring to. I watched the game, but I didn't see Saul do anything that stuck out.

Ok, I know he got a DWI but are there any other factsthat say he was not a good coach?

To answer your question, no, there was no evidence he was not a quality coach. The Saul bashing was based on Tubby not living up to expectations and the perception of nepotism with the disappointing performance. Has Tubby won a couple B10 titles and gone to a final four we'd be talking about Saul inheriting the program when Tubby retired.

Saul has always been a target of criticism from his days as a player through his coaching tenure here. Joining a staff not under his dad would be beneficial.

Teague wanted Tubby do dump Saul after DUI Tubby declined another nail in Tubby's Coffin

Gopherphan, I'm not sure what your are referring to. I watched the game, but I didn't see Saul do anything that stuck out.

He was essentially kicked back and relaxing while the game was still in contention. iirc

To answer your question, no, there was no evidence he was not a quality coach. The Saul bashing was based on Tubby not living up to expectations and the perception of nepotism with the disappointing performance. Has Tubby won a couple B10 titles and gone to a final four we'd be talking about Saul inheriting the program when Tubby retired.

I think this is pretty close to dead on, outside of possibly him inheriting the program (which I could see as possible but I'm not sure I'd see it quite as factually as you implied).

I watched the Florida game as well and didn't notice anything, though, I suppose something like body language is all up to interpretation. I think almost all criticism against Saul has to do with his father.

Did he ever recruit/try to recruit? I've never heard of a kid rave about (or even talk about) his relationship and recruitment with Saul.

He was supposedly the assistant most involved with the offense. That should speak for itself.

He was essentially kicked back and relaxing while the game was still in contention. iirc
Sure he was. lol You were bashing him long before that supposely happened. Saul was just a great target for people who liked to hate on Tubby. I believe in the rank of assistants he was probably number three. Why Taylor and Jirsa didn't get any heat is curious. At least Saul appeared to have a pulse sitting on the bench.

Sure he was. lol You were bashing him long before that supposely happened. Saul was just a great target for people who liked to hate on Tubby. I believe in the rank of assistants he was probably number three. Why Taylor and Jirsa didn't get any heat is curious. At least Saul appeared to have a pulse sitting on the bench.

I thought Vince Taylor was supposed to be one of our better recruiters. I think he was the main guy Rashad Vaughn had a relationship with.

I thought Vince Taylor was supposed to be one of our better recruiters. I think he was the main guy Rashad Vaughn had a relationship with.
He may have been. But I don't think Tubby did himself any favors hiring the staff he did. Jirsa and Taylor may have been candidates for other jobs but I'm not surprised they were never hired. The coaching staff seemed to generally lack energy.

Recruiting is generally the main job of an assistant. Saul rarely recruited. He rarely showed up to high school games and I can't name one Gopher player who mentioned him as their primary recruiter. It was usually Vince Taylor and sometimes Ron Jirsa. Saul was a complete waste when it came to recruiting.

For all of your Saul bashing and high on Villa 7 posts on this board- pretty sure Saul was invited to Villa 7. Just saying.

I sat near Saul at a high school game a couple years ago. He spent the entire game loudly criticizing the two young officials who were working. It was embarrassing.

Top Bottom