Sanford will not be back next year - Opinion not news

Did anyone else feel like we did far less last second checking with the sidelines against Indiana? In general the offense appeared more composed, snapping the ball a little sooner in the play clock and not having Morgan run around like crazy making play calls right up until the end of the clock.

Wasn't watching super quick just noticed Morgan didn't look as rushed as he usually does this year.

Did anyone else feel like we did far less last second checking with the sidelines against Indiana? In general the offense appeared more composed, snapping the ball a little sooner in the play clock and not having Morgan run around like crazy making play calls right up until the end of the clock.

Wasn't watching super quick just noticed Morgan didn't look as rushed as he usually does this year.

The passing game was different enough versus Indiana than we’ve seen the last couple years and particularly and most obviously versus IL and BGSU this year it genuinely makes me wonder if Simon hasn’t been given either more input or total control of play calling duties. Or, maybe the loud criticism has prompted the staff to take a second look. That’s probably a pompous take.

This has been discussed ad nauseum, but when Coordinators get canned, it many times is a sign that the HC is looking for a scapegoat.
It's foolish to believe the Boss doesn't have input into the game plan and play calling. So anything that the OC and DC is doing is being done with the approval of PJF.
You mean PJ Fleck, the best football coach the U of M has had in over a half century?

If we
Mike already got a fast-track shot at being a head ball coach, thanks to his daddy's connections at Western Kentucky.

He crashed and burned.

His buddy Fleck hired him to a pretty sweet gig here. I think he was able to feather in a nice seven-figures salary? That's plenty to live a very comfortable life here.

Why would he ever leave Fleck's side, so long as things are working out??

If we keep winning games, and scoring a decent amount of points, he'll never be fired so long as Fleck is around.

He'd have to voluntarily choose to leave for something else.
If we keep having seasons like this one and the last one there’s no way of Fleck will keep Sanford around. If somehow this team upsets Wisconsin I could see Sanford being around next season. He may still be around if we lose, but not if we lose and have another season like this one.

If we

If we keep having seasons like this one and the last one there’s no way of Fleck will keep Sanford around. If somehow this team upsets Wisconsin I could see Sanford being around next season. He may still be around if we lose, but not if we lose and have another season like this one.
I really would not be so sure.

We win the stupid Bowling Green game, and lose a close game to Wisc, we're 8-4.

Around here, I feel like 8-4, considering you did have the 2019 season, buys you a lot of time ....

The passing game was different enough versus Indiana than we’ve seen the last couple years and particularly and most obviously versus IL and BGSU this year it genuinely makes me wonder if Simon hasn’t been given either more input or total control of play calling duties. Or, maybe the loud criticism has prompted the staff to take a second look. That’s probably a pompous take.
Just to play devil's advocate, not that I particularly think this is the case but...

Are we completely discounting the possibility that the games Simon has had the most input are the games the offense has struggled the most? You can say it's unlikely, but unless you're in the coach's meetings, you don't know for sure. I still think we're giving the players way too much of a free pass for putting forth a couple of stinkers. At the end of the day, shocking I know, but they are the ones on the field

Just to play devil's advocate, not that I particularly think this is the case but...

Are we completely discounting the possibility that the games Simon has had the most input are the games the offense has struggled the most? You can say it's unlikely, but unless you're in the coach's meetings, you don't know for sure. I still think we're giving the players way too much of a free pass for putting forth a couple of stinkers. At the end of the day, shocking I know, but they are the ones on the field

I think that’s really unlikely, but as you say cannot be proven. I think we’ve been pretty hard on the offensive line, the receivers, and particularly Morgan for not performing well at times. It’s also true the coaches have not put the players in advantageous positions at times in terms of not taking easy yards when the defense is begging them to, getting behind the sticks, wierd play design, predictability, and dogmatic adherence to running the ball when the defense seems to be saying yes, run the ball.

I think that’s really unlikely, but as you say cannot be proven. I think we’ve been pretty hard on the offensive line, the receivers, and particularly Morgan for not performing well at times. It’s also true the coaches have not put the players in advantageous positions at times in terms of not taking easy yards when the defense is begging them to, getting behind the sticks, wierd play design, predictability, and dogmatic adherence to running the ball when the defense seems to be saying yes, run the ball.

Tanner Morgan, in 2019, had a breakthrough, outstanding season. And, knowing what we do about him, he is still the same smart, competitive, highly coachable, team-oriented, earnest, dedicated player today as he was in 2019. In short, he was and still is a coach's dream at quarterback.

The regression in his play since 2019, however, is undeniable.

Top Bottom