Sampson is the softest player Ive seen

In the first half we got absolutely dominated on the glass is what I meant by who isnt but Ralph especially with 1 rebound but he did get 14 points.. I'll keep watching but it certainly isn't going to be enjoyable.

No heart. Nobody cares. I hope Rodney goes pro. Sick of him takin up space

All the commentators have talked about the last 10 minutes are about how soft Ralph is and how he's a big man that doesn't use his body...Then we have Colt that is a foul magnet so we do we do...

We are suppose to have this big bad front line certainly doesn't seem that way today. 17 turnovers and counting and we don't even have some point guard names we are going after.

Because of Tubby's coaching style, aggressive players won't play for him. So we're stuck with passive players. Right now, the only aggressive players are Hoff and Chip. I love Chip's game, too bad Tubby won't give him more playing time. And Hoff is the Gophers MVP, no doubt... but he needs help to get a shot off. With a bunch of passive players who stand around and watch people run circles around them (like Sampson), we have no chance. I'd be surprised if we stay in the top-25 this coming week.

No heart. Nobody cares. I hope Rodney goes pro. Sick of him takin up space

Seriously, If I hear one more person talking about Rodney and NBA in the same sentance im gonna go ape *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# ! I know yes the Twolves drafted Ndi Ebi so anything can happen but he simply doesnt have the skills yet to play in the NBA.

Has iverson or ralph improved in their college career? I honestly don't see much improvement in three years. I don't know if its coaching or they aren't as good as we thought they would be, but its apparent our bigs aren't what we envisioned.

Lauderdale having a career game against the Gophers, smh.

Has iverson or ralph improved in their college career? I honestly don't see much improvement in three years. I don't know if its coaching or they aren't as good as we thought they would be, but its apparent our bigs aren't what we envisioned.

I think they have to some extent, but not nearly as much as people had thought. There were people on here claiming we had 2 all B10 centers, MN has 0 all B10 centers. They are what they are, and not going to change in the back end of their time here. Better than average, but not top end, players.

I don't see what makes Iverson and Sampson better than average, especially Iverson.

I don't see what makes Iverson and Sampson better than average, especially Iverson.

Fair enough. Iverson is, IMO, a useable B10 big man who does not have the skills to play in the NBA or be a top end colllege player, but I do think he could be part of a winning team as the 1st big man off the bench. I think Sampson has offensive skills, but he such a fvcking pvssy it makes me sick...

also people also need to stop with the post I read yesterday about next year this front court possibly being the most talented and best in the country next year.

Iverson has gotten much better since his Freshman year.

With Ralph's background, don't you think he's had tons of outside training and coaching in addition to the college coaching? He is what he is, and I can't blame the staff for it. Come to think of it, Colton's dad also has a professional basketball back ground. If you could blend the two-Colt's personality with Ralph's skills-you'd have a pretty decent center.

If a shot comes off the rim and hits the floor Ralph cannot ever grip it. We could use Mo.

He took the second half off, zero points and bad defense.

Anybody remember when Ralph's dad went for 50 against Ohio State on Super Sunday?

With Ralph's background, don't you think he's had tons of outside training and coaching in addition to the college coaching? He is what he is, and I can't blame the staff for it. Come to think of it, Colton's dad also has a professional basketball back ground. If you could blend the two-Colt's personality with Ralph's skills-you'd have a pretty decent center.

Why recruit a kid if he has no room for improvement? Agree with you that its on the player to improve but if there is a pattern of players not developing I think you need to look at coaching.

Why recruit a kid if he has no room for improvement? Agree with you that its on the player to improve but if there is a pattern of players not developing I think you need to look at coaching.

Really a mixed bag; I don't think there really is a pattern.

Ralph has improved his skills. It's his playing style that hasn't changed. He still prefers away from the basket. Pretty sure they've tried to make him go inside. Colt, outside of the end of last year, really hasn't played better from when he came here. Rodney is definitely a disappointment-probably the biggest one. On the other hand, Blake has continued to improve his game every year. Al also stepped up his game. Chip and Austin have steadily improved although consistency is a problem.

Still think it's mostly on the players. Tubby's been doing this for years. It's not rocket science. The fundamentals and the drills can't be that different at this level. Motivation to improve and style of play are factors but it's awfully hard to say if there's a coaching weakness at play. Would a couple more outside shooters open things up and let Colt be more effective? Does Rodney work on his jump shot and ball handling? Do they really concentrate when practicing free throw shooting? There're a lot of things we just don't know.

Sampson was BY FAR the best of the 3 big men the gophers played against OSU. So I hope you make a thread about the others as well.
The Sampson hate on this board is amazing. He is probably the most consistent player on this team (unless Hoff starts playing SG again).

He has upped his scoring 2.5PPG from last year....added another half a block a game to get above 2 blocks per game, his rebounding has only slid .3 rebounds per game despite being placed in a lineup containing the Big Ten's leading rebounder.
He has been in double figures in 7 of 11 Big Ten games (including the last 6). He has always been exactly what he is. A very good high post player, and an okay low post player.

He had an off game and was still the best of the 3 bigs today.

I was hoping for so much more from the bigs this year and in San Juan it looked like we were going to get it. Where has the Colton Iverson that we saw in the Big Ten tournament last year been? I really thought that would be a jumping off point for his career as a Gopher, but it certainly was not. We really need the bigs to step up and give and dominate inside to overcome our poor perimeter play with Nole out, but it just has not happened.

It's fustrating after a loss when we didn't play well. Without Nolen, we have a team short on ball handlers. We have one shooter. We have one passive post player, one over agressive post player, and a player who likes to dunk and do little else. Trevor has been slumping the last two games doesnt help either. Colt and Trevor play similar styles on offense so having Trevor hurts colts progress.

Other than Damien Johnson, Hagan, and Robinson, tell me a gopher player who really improved? Mike bauer came here with a nice verticle and a nice 3pt shot. Guess what he left with? I'd like to see development, but players are basically who they are. Ralph will not become tough, Colt will not add finesse, rodney will keep practicing dunks, etc. There is a reason a high percantage of mcdonals all americans make it to the pro's. They have a big skill set when they get here.

Top Bottom