Sam Schleuter makes PFF Big Ten Team of the Week

PitinoFan

Banned
Reaction score
Rodney Smith, Daniel Faalele, Curtis Dunlap, Blaise Andries, Carter Coughlin, Sam Renner, and Antoine Winfield all made the 2nd team.

No wonder Fleck was in such a good mood after the game.

—-

OFFENSIVE TACKLE

Sam Schlueter, Minnesota

The Minnesota left tackle had a clean afternoon without allowing a single quarterback pressure on 26 pass-block snaps. Schlueter was also a mauler in the running game during the Gophers’ 52-10 victory over Maryland, earning a 72.6 run-block grade.

https://www.pff.com/news/college-football-week-9-eckrich-big-ten-team-of-the-week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Schlueter has made huge improvements from last year. I’ll be the first to admit I was harsh on him. Bravo and congratulations.

Schlueter has made huge improvements from last year. I’ll be the first to admit I was harsh on him. Bravo and congratulations.

Same here. So good to see him do well. He was getting some love by the announcers last game too. They mentioned losing spot, then coming back and being dominant.

The left side of the line dominated like they were blocking guys like me or something.

A lot of people threw a lot of shiite at Sam. There’s a reason he’s the starter. He’s pretty good.

Yes! I honestly thought he would transfer down a level after last season. He was terrible, to put it mildly.

He is making a lot of us eat our words this season. He has been great and performing in line with what his offer list suggested. And we still have him for another year!

So is SS or JH most improved this year? Both have really surprised me.

So the kid struggled early in his career but improved later? Damn, that must be a first.

So is SS or JH most improved this year? Both have really surprised me.

Howden, Morgan, Bateman, Renner, Schlueter and Kamal can all make a case for most improved. Aside from having Rossi as full time DC and getting Winfield, Smith and Brooks back, I'd say the biggest reason we are better than last year is the improvement of those 6 guys.

During fall camp I always felt that Schlueter, if he were to beat out Dickson, would look much better this year compared to last year due to

1. An improved rushing attack which would result in fewer pass attempts and fewer third and long pass attempts. Schlueter never got to play last yearwhen we finally figured our run game out.

2. Blocking for a QB in Morgan who has better pocket presence than Annexstad which would mask some of Schlueter's deficiencies. Annexstad would always run straight backwards right into the defender while Morgan does a much better job stepping up in the pocket and avoiding the rush.

3. Not playing with a torn hip labrum. A poster who many believed was his dad posted he was slowed down by this all of last year on GI.

4. Being a RS junior instead of a RS sophomore or freshman and packing 20 pounds of mass on. He played at 305 last year and is 325 this year.

Top Bottom