Sam Rohr To Gophs

Great news. Not that I dont believe you, but any link?

It is good news, but I would think if Wisconsin offers him, he is gone. His dad is an alumnus of Madison.

Scout and Rivals has his offer list as Minnesota, Akron and Northern Iowa.

We're definitely starting to add more kids from Wisconsin.

Go Gophers!!

What I've read online is that the badgers feel they already have some better prospects at TE otherwise they'd consider him. Take it for what it's worth.

What I've read online is that the badgers feel they already have some better prospects at TE otherwise they'd consider him. Take it for what it's worth.

Good news. I hope they missed the boat on him, just like I hope they missed the boat on Parish.

TE out of Brookfield, WI

Welcome aboard!
Big kid, good blocker, film looks like he's got soft hands and good body control, he's not going to run by many safeties though. All in all, a nice big tough TE prospect.

EDIT: Checked out his Army All American Combine numbers, he's actually a pretty quick guy, ran a 4.4 shuttle which is comparable to times for much smaller skill guys, 17 reps on bench, 25'' vertical

Wisconsin already has two instate TE commits and are recruiting four star Nick Vannett hard. I don't see them going after anymore TEs unless they're four star or better.

Scout and Rivals has his offer list as Minnesota, Akron and Northern Iowa.

We're definitely starting to add more kids from Wisconsin.

Go Gophers!!

That's a hellva list. I think you forgot USC, Florida, Georgia, Alabama and Boise State. Oh, wait.....he didn't even get an offer from Sconny. :mad:

That's a hellva list. I think you forgot USC, Florida, Georgia, Alabama and Boise State. Oh, wait.....he didn't even get an offer from Sconny. :mad:

I am taking the position that there is absolutely nothing wrong with Minnesota offering recruits, as needed, from Wisconsin that UW may not be interested in offering a scholarship. And that it is silly, and petty, to believe otherwise.

Am I being irrational?

Thanks once again for your assurance that you are in fact a total and complete *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#bag....

I am taking the position that there is absolutely nothing wrong with Minnesota offering recruits, as needed, from Wisconsin that UW may not be interested in offering a scholarship. And that it is silly, and petty, to believe otherwise.

Am I being irrational?

I kind of like that philosophy, too. But I think the answer is somehwere in the middle.

People like Big Goppher "Fan" think that every recruit every year is going to have four stars after their name. That's just not reality, especially at Minnesota. You have to take some chances and you have to settle sometimes. Might as well take the enemy's children in cases like that. However, this is a TE from Wisconsin and the Badgers already have not one but two other TEs from their own state they like better in this class (assuming that's true)? I'd say you don't want too many of those guys.

I kind of like that philosophy, too. But I think the answer is somehwere in the middle.

People like Big Goppher "Fan" think that every recruit every year is going to have four stars after their name. That's just not reality, especially at Minnesota. You have to take some chances and you have to settle sometimes. Might as well take the enemy's children in cases like that. However, this is a TE from Wisconsin and the Badgers already have not one but two other TEs from their own state they like better in this class (assuming that's true)? I'd say you don't want too many of those guys.

I say if you have to take a lightly-recruited kid whose likely first choice doesn't want him, take the kid from Wisconsin or Iowa every time. Maybe that kid starts talking down his old fave, talking up the biggest school who'd have him, and eventually there's precedent in enemy territory for crossing the border. Maybe the kid turns out to be better than expected and you get to embarrass your rival a bit. Or maybe the kid turns out to be exactly what his home-state fave thought he was, all his classmates remain loyal to the home school, but there's one more HS coach in wisconsin with a Gopher connection. It's a value-added proposition no matter how you look at it.

Welcome to Minnesota, TE from wisconsin whose name I may or may not ever hear again. I hope you enjoy your time as a Golden Gopher.

Maybe with Wisconsin's recent history of strong TE play, every young kid in the state dreams of playing TE for the home state University and the state ends up developing a lot of very good prospects. Maybe one of the upper echelon ones, Sam Rohr, is caught in a numbers game and doesn't get offered. Maybe we've just landed a very good prospect. How about a little optimism around here?

Welcome to the University of Minnesota, Mr. Rohr. You can expect to have the time of your life for the next 4-5 years. Maybe you can prove that the brain trust in Madison is not very smart. I think we all suspect that is the case, now let's start proving it.

This is a good get for you guys. This was a very good year for TEs in Wisconsin, and we had 2 guys rated ahead of him, and they have committed already. We also had good depth already on the roster. In most years, I think this kid would have had an offer already, and probably been a commit. If we had only 1 commit at TE, this guy may well have received an offer at camp as well.

When you are considering kids from Wisconsin as recruits, don't get distracted by the number of offers they have, or more likely don't have. Most schools don't go through WI to scout players, so a large number of D1 capable kids go unnoticed, and under evaluated. UW didn't become a good program by recruiting a bunch of stiffs. Recruiting services miss on these kids all the time. The lack of offers from other school negatively impacts their rankings, so you end up a kid who is much better than the #128 ranking the service has him with.

Good luck to Mr Rohr.

This is a good get for you guys. This was a very good year for TEs in Wisconsin, and we had 2 guys rated ahead of him, and they have committed already. We also had good depth already on the roster. In most years, I think this kid would have had an offer already, and probably been a commit. If we had only 1 commit at TE, this guy may well have received an offer at camp as well.

When you are considering kids from Wisconsin as recruits, don't get distracted by the number of offers they have, or more likely don't have. Most schools don't go through WI to scout players, so a large number of D1 capable kids go unnoticed, and under evaluated. UW didn't become a good program by recruiting a bunch of stiffs. Recruiting services miss on these kids all the time. The lack of offers from other school negatively impacts their rankings, so you end up a kid who is much better than the #128 ranking the service has him with.

Good luck to Mr Rohr.

Wisconsin is not that good of a program and they don't produce much more D1 or NFL talent then we do. You talk like Wisconsin is USC or Texas

Wisconsin is not that good of a program and they don't produce much more D1 or NFL talent then we do. You talk like Wisconsin is USC or Texas

Wisconsin is a pre-season Top 10 program this year. Ranked ahead of such notable programs as USC, Nebraska, LSU, and Miami. Let's just leave it at that.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned, is that with MN being more aggresive in recruiting WI, the Badgers don't have the luxury of waiting until camp to decide on which average level recruit to offer. When Mason was here, WI would wait until camp to offer the more average level players and then pick after personal evaluation by the coaches, now the playing field is more even.

You're missing the entire point of my post. Fans of other schools always point to our low ranked recruiting classes as a sign that we are headed back to the bottom. Recruiting services always have us rated low. Last year, we were ranked below Kent St, UTEP, and New Mexico St. If these rankings had any legitimacy at all, we would be fighting to stay out of the basement, not contending for a spot in the top 4-5. My point was, UW didn't become a good program by recruiting stiffs, regardless of what a recruiting service says. We didn't offer Sam Rohr this year. In a normal year, we probably would have.

Who cares if Rohr only had offers from Akron or N Iowa? One of our commits only had offers from E Ill and Ill St. Kids in WI don't get scouted like kids do in other states. It's out of the way for most programs, so very good players are missed all the time.

Be happy you got Rohr. He's probably going to be a very good player for you.

You're missing the entire point of my post. Fans of other schools always point to our low ranked recruiting classes as a sign that we are headed back to the bottom. Recruiting services always have us rated low. Last year, we were ranked below Kent St, UTEP, and New Mexico St. If these rankings had any legitimacy at all, we would be fighting to stay out of the basement, not contending for a spot in the top 4-5. My point was, UW didn't become a good program by recruiting stiffs, regardless of what a recruiting service says. We didn't offer Sam Rohr this year. In a normal year, we probably would have.

Who cares if Rohr only had offers from Akron or N Iowa? One of our commits only had offers from E Ill and Ill St. Kids in WI don't get scouted like kids do in other states. It's out of the way for most programs, so very good players are missed all the time.

Be happy you got Rohr. He's probably going to be a very good player for you.

You don't have to defend yourself, your original post was very good. Obviously some people just can't help themselves, level-headed input from other fanbases is always welcomed in my book.

Good luck to Mr Rohr.

Sigh...I agree with you very much. I still don't like the idea of Brewster getting the "leftovers" from WI...but I like Rohr regardless of if you guys offered him or not. Thanks for the input on your situation.

When did wisconsin offer parish? I was honestly unaware of this and no recruiting site seems to show they did either. I'm a die hard gopher fan, just didn't know the badgers offered...

When did wisconsin offer parish? I was honestly unaware of this and no recruiting site seems to show they did either. I'm a die hard gopher fan, just didn't know the badgers offered...

The Badgers told him they would give him a written offer if he would decommit from the Gophers to commit to the Badgers. Rivals showed a Wisconsin offer last spring but the Wisconsin Rivals moderators removed it because they didn't like the appearance of losing in-state recruits to Minnesota. Their reason for removing it was because the offer wasn't in writing.

Maybe it is just me but if someone tells me I have an offer if I'm willing to accept it that sounds a lot like getting an offer.

Sigh...I agree with you very much. I still don't like the idea of Brewster getting the "leftovers" from WI...but I like Rohr regardless of if you guys offered him or not. Thanks for the input on your situation.
A least we're getting them before they've attended Badger summer camp. The kid the Badgers took over Rohr is an inch taller and 10 lbs heavier. When Mason was here they could have waited until after camp when there is less possibility of making an error. WI offered based on measurables not personal evaluation.

*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# the Badgers, BUT, they have been a very good program since the 1990's.

Top Bottom