Safety positon

Reaction score
Next year can Dandridge, Watkins, Lewis or Manuel beat out Royston or Theret? If not we are in major trouble!

Not as vital as replacing Triplett, Campbell, Brown, Small and Sherels wirh = or > players. Cooper will be as good or better than Lawrence. Carter is already better than Simmons. Theret & Royston will probably start.

The back up line backers and the back up D line are better than the starters. We only need to worry about 1 CB and both Safety spots

Theret is Fine

We can win with Theret. Yes, he's a step slow but he's smart and is like another coach out there. Royston on the other hand....

Theret is fine ... for UMD or maybe St. Thomas.

I'm not that excited knowing he'll be the incumbent next year once again.

You guys are clueless. It is the offense. The Gopher's offense is the worst in the Big 10. If we took Glen Mason's worst offense during the the time he coached the Gophers and paired it with this years defense the Gophers record would be 9-2 or maybe 10-1. The Gopher's defense is playing at a higher level than at any time since Tyrone Carter graduated. Next year the defense is going to be significantly better than this year, and Theret will be starting every game.

To me, Theret is what I call a complementary player. He's alright, but when asked to do too much, he gets exposed a bit. Surround him with more speed and his smarts would serve him better.

I think Campbell will be the defensive player missed most, followed by Brown (and to a slightly lesser extent, Small).

Defensive statistics can be misleading, as UpnorthGo4 has pointed out. This defense has been on the field quite a bit. On a play-for-play basis, this is one of the better defenses we've had in awhile. There have been some breakdowns, but breakdowns happen to pretty much every team.

Statistics can be misleading, but here they are for review, in B10 games only:

9th in Scoring Defense
7th in Run Defense
11th in Pass Defense
9th in Total Defense

Safety is the least of the problems on D it starts with DE's

The safeties have been doing what they are designed to do, even with a few flaws. I gotta hope that the young guy's coming up at DE, DL Willhite, Kendall-McGehee, Garin, Hageman, can get strong enough and keep there quickness to hold the point and funel to the linebackers next year and at least make the QB move. We have DT's to replace the good one's we have in there now at least I think so, maybe even be and feel some hit or get hit. The DE's have to be a little more disruptive next year. I think we have some linebackers that are coming up that can play. Where we struggle on the defense is that we are neither disruptive to the QB with the defensive ends to disrupt there rythem or make them feel any kind of heat they need to feel, and not really quick enough to close down the line or flow to the football and stop the ball carriers. This puts a lot of pressure on the safties and CB's to be on an Island and hold there own for long periods of time in their zones. We bring the fire blitz a lot with the safety and linebackers but are not quick enough to get there right now with Theret and Campbell. That blitz is brought out of necessity because the ends cannot get pressure from there spots. I'm not that concerned about the safety play I think we can hack there and at CB I think they will be good if we can get some better DE play, that really is the key to the whole thing getting better. I think the linebacker group will have learned a lot watching this group and can be as good if not a little better.

Top Bottom