Sad News- Lawrence Phillips found dead in prison

per CBS:

Lawrence Phillips' brain will be donated by his family to researchers studying the impacts of traumatic brain injuries and CTE, according to an attorney representing his mother.

Dan Chamberlain, an attorney for Juanita Phillips, told USA Today that her son's brain will be donated to Boston University's Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy Program.

"She wanted an explanation about what happened, and I told her, ‘Look, the only way you can really explain it is by examining his brain,'” Chamberlain said, via USA Today. “I told her, ‘You owe it to your son, you owe it to every other NFL, college and pee wee and high school and middle school player that played football.'”

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...phillips-brain-will-be-studied-for-cte-trauma

Go Gophers!!

I was one on here saying how silly it is to deny head hits/concussions have a negative impact on your long term mental health. With that said, I can't get behind the "football made him into a woman beating murderer" angle at all.

Wow. After reading this, I was wrong. Osborne and Phillips are both great guys. And from the comments after the article, I learned that Scott Frost and Phillips' former girlfriend are to blame for Phillips trying to beat that girl to death. He didn't even mean to hit her. She just got in the way.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/shatel...cle_e917cc3b-36ff-5921-8d79-1fe23032f1fa.html
The Comments on this piece are gold. A truly delusional fan base that will protect the name of Tom Osborne as all cost.

I was one on here saying how silly it is to deny head hits/concussions have a negative impact on your long term mental health. With that said, I can't get behind the "football made him into a woman beating murderer" angle at all.

No doubt multiple head injuries can affect someone's mental well being, but it's a pretty transparent attempt to cash in on the tragedy that was his life.

Is it entirely possible that there are some mean people in this world who happened to have played college and/or pro ball?

Phillips was no altar boy when he was playing for Tom Osborne. Aaron Hernandez did not murder three people because of CTE. He was a bad dude who happened to be a good football player.

On the other hand, the case of Junior Seau with the impact of traumatic brain injury to his life and his family has been well covered in the media.

Is it entirely possible that there are some mean people in this world who happened to have played college and/or pro ball? Phillips was no altar boy when he was playing for Tom Osborne. Aaron Hernandez did not murder three people because of CTE. He was a bad dude who happened to be a good football player. On the other hand, the case of Junior Seau with the impact of traumatic brain injury to his life and his family has been well covered in the media.

I'd also take it a slight step forward and say those super angry dudes. Are often helped by that in their football careers. Most guys can separate football from real life, but some can't. And that's where you get guys like Greg Hardy, Ray Rice, Aaron Hernandez, etc. Especially when you add in CTE. But when your profession and livelihood depends on your ability to be angry and be mean and be violent. It shouldn't be surprising these things happen occasionally. Ghandi wouldn't have made a great D-Lineman. Point being not necessarily that football makes you do bad things, but the mind set required to play football and that can make someone really good at football. Is very problematic in the real world and in real relationships, not having a level head can have really bad consequences.

I'd also take it a slight step forward and say those super angry dudes. Are often helped by that in their football careers. Most guys can separate football from real life, but some can't. And that's where you get guys like Greg Hardy, Ray Rice, Aaron Hernandez, etc. Especially when you add in CTE. But when your profession and livelihood depends on your ability to be angry and be mean and be violent. It shouldn't be surprising these things happen occasionally. Ghandi wouldn't have made a great D-Lineman. Point being not necessarily that football makes you do bad things, but the mind set required to play football and that can make someone really good at football. Is very problematic in the real world and in real relationships, not having a level head can have really bad consequences.

Ghandi would be a bit under sized for DL. Would have to add a few pounds.

Having his brain for CTE research is good, but the motivation is a mother clutching at straws, trying to keep from admitting her son was just plain rotten.

Top Bottom