Saban: the way players acted after Michigan loss contributed to retirement

Saban said he never paid players. You seem to love him and even you admit he paid players. That's hypocrisy.... if he would just stfu about it, I'd take no issue. Again, not knocking his coaching skills.
Don't love him. I respect him. I couldn't tell you yes or no if he had players getting paid by boosters that he had knowledge about. All I'm saying is players were and are getting paid at every level of college sports at every college under the table. We'll just agree to disagree a bit. Don't want end up in one of these GH peeing contests.

I think, and this is obviously just my jack*** opinion, the execs and presidents have cynically concluded that people will still watch CFB despite the massive changes in regional conferences, schedules, player attitudes, player allegiances, roster turnover.. Train wrecks attract eyeballs. Sports media love controversy, chaos, problems. Cynical AF. More broadly things like COVID-19, controversial orange-tinged politicians, catastrophes are great for ratings. And, like the NFL they are now catering to the gambling crowd. The idiotic injury report thing, sports betting legalization, etc.

They could be right. Ratings were purportedly up for the NCAA last season.
It's a bit like Obi v Darth. College football was once the master and the NFL was a Sunday afterthought. Today's younger fans grew up with the NFL as the master and to them making college ball into an obedient apprentice makes sense. Being an old codger, I wish college ball was played by students who also played football rather than players who play for whatever college pays them the most.

Top Bottom