Saban: the way players acted after Michigan loss contributed to retirement

SHGopher

Reaction score

“I was really disappointed in the way that the players acted after the game. You gotta win with class. You gotta lose with class.”

“… and then showing your ass and being frustrated and throwing helmets and doing that stuff…”

“I thought we could have a hell of a team next year, and then maybe 70 or 80 percent of the players you talk to, all they want to know is two things: What assurances do I have that I’m going to play because they’re thinking about transferring, and how much are you going to pay me?”

“So I’m saying to myself..."

“I was really disappointed in the way that the players acted after the game. You gotta win with class. You gotta lose with class.”

“… and then showing your ass and being frustrated and throwing helmets and doing that stuff…”

“I thought we could have a hell of a team next year, and then maybe 70 or 80 percent of the players you talk to, all they want to know is two things: What assurances do I have that I’m going to play because they’re thinking about transferring, and how much are you going to pay me?”

Duplicate. Already in another thread. Mods, please combine.

College football has always been my favorite sport. It’s just about money now. The colleges did it to themselves and I can’t blame a bunch of young guys for wanting to make some money but I think it’s going to ruin the game. Hope I’m wrong.

Well said by Saban. I know it's easy to have class when you are winning, but Saban has always struck me as a stand-up guy.

It's all about "brand" now for players and, somewhat by extension, programs. I think (and admittedly I may be wrong) that the NCAA could have gotten ahead of this five years ago, but they chose to fight a high-risk fight and lost. Now we have what we have. Within a couple of years, there's a lot of teams that will be going full-blown Colorado.

This 10 year transition to being a NFL minor league is going to be hard and confusing
It's hard because it feels like they should just have a minor league football league but the truth is that none of us would probably care about it. College football does better than any other minor league and it's because of its connection to the schools, tradition, student-athlete experience.

So while I don't know how to stop what's happening and what's definitely coming, it feels like it's going to destroy the whole system.

Saban helped cause the problem. When he could not control the inmates he leaves. Remember the unclean hands doctrine.

Some coaches can’t (or don’t have to) adjust to the changing college landscape. It just is what it is, no reason to further lament the inevitable. Let’s see where it goes and hopefully there will be still something to enjoy.

Some coaches can’t (or don’t have to) adjust to the changing college landscape. It just is what it is, no reason to further lament the inevitable. Let’s see where it goes and hopefully there will be still something to enjoy.
I don't have any sympathy for the coaches because they make an insane amount of money. At the same time, I don't like the direction college football is headed.

Yup it is not just college sports, NIL is basically available to anyone and everywhere with all these social media channels, but athletes are just using their sports as one platform. And seems to be a lot of people and businesses willing to pay.

This is exactly why I've never complained about the players Fleck recruited, or recruitment rankings in general. PJ brings in the kind of players we can all be proud of, and I wouldn't have it any other way...
Alabama actually typically recruits solid character and academic guys. They are one of the top 5 in football APR in recent years. A big reason why is that under Saban they have had their pick of guys and thus can pass on talented but risky dudes teams a tier or two lower have to take and work with.

Brew used to take a lot of these talented but risky dudes. PJ seems to take a lot fewer of them.

Alabama actually typically recruits solid character and academic guys. They are one of the top 5 in football APR in recent years. A big reason why is that under Saban they have had their pick of guys and thus can pass on talented but risky dudes teams a tier or two lower have to take and work with.

Brew used to take a lot of these talented but risky dudes. PJ seems to take a lot fewer of them.
"A fish rots from the head down" A coach's leadership, integrity, values are the root causes of a team's success, failure or demise. "Birds of a feather flock together."

The NCAA has made some effort to reign in on NIL and transfers but the courts stop whatever they are trying to do. I am really down on courts in our country. Even the supreme court makes biased rulings. You can kind of predict on each issue which judges will vote which way--according to their biases and not the constitution and current rule of law

That 2023 Alabama team had to be the worst one I’ve seen. From my little peanut gallery the quality of play was noticeably down everywhere last season. Could be a lot of things but when players are focused on pursuing marketing deals, shopping their services, wondering what the other guy is getting, threatening to leave or getting disgruntled rather than focusing on team activities and getting better things can start to fall apart. I’m sure the coaches are frustrated as well. Their model of culture and team building has been destroyed. Saban is getting older and said hey, for all those reasons I’m out. Go out at or near the top, preserve legacy. Hard for most to do.

NFL culture without NFL rules and contracts. Asking fans to directly fund payrolls. LMAO. Going forwards will casual or new fans particularly at programs at a competitive disadvantage put up with being pressured from all sides to give $$ year after year to a mercenary league when they can flip on the NFL. The storm has just begun and literally nobody is steering the ship.

The NCAA has made some effort to reign in on NIL and transfers but the courts stop whatever they are trying to do. I am really down on courts in our country. Even the supreme court makes biased rulings. You can kind of predict on each issue which judges will vote which way--according to their biases and not the constitution and current rule of law
I am no fan of activist judges but this isn't on the courts. These rulings are pretty cut and dry (by the letter of the law). If you want some sort of college sports exemption to antitrust laws, you should look to the legislature and not for the courts to pretend one existed.

As much as it pains me to say because I think it will destroy college sports, the rulings aren't at all controversial from a legal standpoint. Even the NCAA knows this (or they wouldn't be advocating for an "exemption").

Forget Nick Saban. Complaining about players asking for money when he's been paying them illegally for years... he just hates that it's an even playing field now and he's struggling to keep up.

Last edited:

Fuck Nick Saban. Complaining about players asking for money when he's been paying them illegally for years... he just hates that it's an even playing field now and he's struggling to keep up.
Nick Saban's actions prove your point. Nick has a lot of skeletons in his closet. Curious when Netflix does an expose'.

I am no fan of activist judges but this isn't on the courts. These rulings are pretty cut and dry (by the letter of the law). If you want some sort of college sports exemption to antitrust laws, you should look to the legislature and not for the courts to pretend one existed.

As much as it pains me to say because I think it will destroy college sports, the rulings aren't at all controversial from a legal standpoint. Even the NCAA knows this (or they wouldn't be advocating for an "exemption").
Spot on. In some ways, it's remarkable that the NCAA has held control as long as it has.

If PJ's critics saw him walking on water, they would say PJ could not swim.

Some will discount this immediately because of the source but it is a good thing that Saban is willing to call out what is going on and the joke this has all become.

The sport is killing itself with this unrestricted free agency, poaching of players and pay for play disguised as something legitimate which is causing player movement at an unsustainable level. You are starting to see coaches walk away because it isn't worth it.

And no matter what you think of those coaches themselves this is not a good trend. Somehow there has to be some order restored to everything. Sure there was always cheating going on and the playing field has never been level.....but what is happening right now is in no way shape or form good for the sport.

We know this?
I think there's enough evidence to support it being true. Najee Harris made a comment on a podcast that he was paid every month. Travis Johnson made a statement about being offerered six figures. Then there's the Albert Means situation.

You think otherwise? Just a couple textbooks back in '05....

I think 18 to 22 year olds have not cared about what's good for the sport....ever.
You just wanna play...you don't think big picture legacy...you think about yourself and hopefully the team but then envy and jealousy came riding in on the money train.
Now it's about getting mine. Do I have to go to practice to get paid? Can I just come to the games?
We need a solution. PJ does seem to be navigating the pitfalls pretty well. The Gophers still seem like a disciplined team playing for each other.

It's 'show me da money'' time in Bama!

I don’t quite follow you here. Every professional sports league is in violation of the Sherman Act to varying degrees and in many cases in indefensibly anti-consumer ways that are absolutely bonkers. All the leagues have been granted carve outs and certain exemptions - and baseball explicit blanket immunity - by the courts. We can agree or disagree on the details and opinions and approach or how to interpret the legislation but the courts can and do provide exemptions and legal immunity.

Top Bottom