Rush the court if we beat Michigan?

Oh come on, NO WAY, very bad idea. Even if its not true, lets act like we've been here before. Serious. We're only ranked below Michigan and Indiana because we happened to play one of them on the road already and came out flat to start the game. We're going to beat Michigan, and later in the year beat Indiana. A part of me thinks we're not going to lose another game until we get to the Elite 8 or FF, or maybe during the Big Ten tournament.

Rushing the court is for little nobody schools who've never accomplished anything before, when they take down giants in unbelievable upsets. If we are not favored in this game, we should be. We are ranked ahead of Michigan in ESPN's BPI rankings, and that isn't taking into account its a home game for us. TeamRankings dot com has us only 1 spot behind Michigan, and we are ahead of Michigan in the RPI.

Let's act like the Elite College Sports University that we are. I know its been awhile for our bb team, but thats really an absolute trajedy since we are an UBER University. We are not some small do nothing team that is div 1AA or lower in every other sport. Seriously, have I said seriously enough? lol, but those are the kinds of schools that through all my years I remember rushing the court.

Make an announcement at half: "No storming the court."

It would happen for sure then.

Storming the court is for clinching a championship or for when a bad team beats a great team - certainly not the case on Thursday.

Was this a discussion point on the Indiana message boards prior to their game with the gophers on Saturday?

Storming the court is for clinching a championship or for when a bad team beats a great team - certainly not the case on Thursday.

Was this a discussion point on the Indiana message boards prior to their game with the gophers on Saturday?

I honestly don't care one way or another if it happens. The most important thing is that we would have won. With that said,

1. Why do fans of bad teams get it to do it but it's stupid for fans of good teams? If we happen to win the championship this year, it would probably be on the road.
2. There's a huge difference between the Gophers and Indiana programs though. If you are a program with a rich tradition, beating top teams happens a lot more often.

I can't imagine that we won't be favored to win this game. Storming the court makes no sense for this matchup.

A top 10 team, beating another top 10 team is not cause for rushing the court. Also, I have to think the raised court is part of the reason it's never been done. At best, I imagine it would greatly slow the rushing and make it look bad. At worst the odds of someone indeed falling and getting trampled seems higher.

Like good coaches tell their players that when you get into the end zone, or score a basket, or make a big tackle, act like you've been there before. Check the different rankings out, this wouldn't even be an upset. If we do down by 23 early, come back and get it to within 2, get a steal with 3 seconds left and make a half to full court shot to win it, then MAYBE. But even then it would be kind of lame.

And when we clinch the Big Ten Title, lets not storm the court then either, drawing more attention to the fact its been since 1982 since we've won a Big Ten title that wasn't stripped from us.

Tell you what, if we win the Natl Title, then storm the court.

Try to have fun once in a while. Celebration can be a good thing, if you reserve that for only a national title prepare to be disappointed by nearly every team you cheer for.

I am a Gopher fan, they win Natl Titles all the time. One last year in Women's Hockey. One in 2007 in Mens Wrestling. Three in the same year in 2002 incl the Men's Golf team winning a HUGE Title, seeing as a short time earlier they were going to get cut. Back2Back Natl Titles for Wrestling in 2001 & 2002, Back2Back Natl Titles for Mens Hockey in 02 & 03, Back2Back Natl Titles win Women's Hockey in 04 & 05.

But I'm not saying not to celebrate, I'm saying not to make a public spectacle out of it, acting like beating Michigan is equivalent to the best we can accomplish.

Ever notice that the teams whose fans storm the court, are never around celebrating anything at the end of the season? The teams whose fans storm the court after upset wins in the NCAA tournament, are celebrating the way they do, because its a good chance their team isn't going much further, and almost all of the time, that is the case.

It's just something that should be done when it REALLY means something. It's almost a once in a lifetime kind of thing, and I just pray that beating 5th ranked Michigan at home isn't the best memory I have of my lifetime of being a Gopher bb fan.

I honestly don't care one way or another if it happens. The most important thing is that we would have won. With that said,

1. Why do fans of bad teams get it to do it but it's stupid for fans of good teams? If we happen to win the championship this year, it would probably be on the road.
2. There's a huge difference between the Gophers and Indiana programs though. If you are a program with a rich tradition, beating top teams happens a lot more often.

+1

A top 10 team, beating another top 10 team is not cause for rushing the court. Also, I have to think the raised court is part of the reason it's never been done. At best, I imagine it would greatly slow the rushing and make it look bad. At worst the odds of someone indeed falling and getting trampled seems higher.

Jumping down 10 feet over a railing at TCF didn't stop us.

Like good coaches tell their players that when you get into the end zone, or score a basket, or make a big tackle, act like you've been there before.

But I'd argue we haven't been there, at least not for a while. Most of the kids in college don't remember the 1997 season because they were really young. When was the last time we beat a top 5 team at home? Why not let the students have a little fun?

I'd rather see fans storm the court after we beat Penn State (March 2 or 3) to clinch at least a share of the Big Ten title (with 2 games to go).

If they do, we will get ripped for it. However, it's a bunch of kids that probably don't care about such things.

It'd be embarrassing if we rushed the court. We're a top 10 team and we should expect to win home games in the B1G

Only Indiana rushes the court against teams they are favored to beat. Don't be Indiana.

I remember back in the early 2000's rushing the court a couple of times. But we were a horrible team beating a good team. And pretty sure one of the times the security stopped the student section, but then Monson waved everyone up on the court.

Oh come on, NO WAY, very bad idea. Even if its not true, lets act like we've been here before. Serious. We're only ranked below Michigan and Indiana because we happened to play one of them on the road already and came out flat to start the game. We're going to beat Michigan, and later in the year beat Indiana. A part of me thinks we're not going to lose another game until we get to the Elite 8 or FF, or maybe during the Big Ten tournament.

Rushing the court is for little nobody schools who've never accomplished anything before, when they take down giants in unbelievable upsets. If we are not favored in this game, we should be. We are ranked ahead of Michigan in ESPN's BPI rankings, and that isn't taking into account its a home game for us. TeamRankings dot com has us only 1 spot behind Michigan, and we are ahead of Michigan in the RPI.

Let's act like the Elite College Sports University that we are. I know its been awhile for our bb team, but thats really an absolute trajedy since we are an UBER University. We are not some small do nothing team that is div 1AA or lower in every other sport. Seriously, have I said seriously enough? lol, but those are the kinds of schools that through all my years I remember rushing the court.

Helup! Thanks for the chuckle

Unwritten rules for rushing the court:

1. You take down the #1 team in the country as long as you're not in the top 5.
2. You take down a top 5 team in the country as long as you're not ranked
3. You take down a top 10 rival(Wisconsin or Iowa in our case) as long as you're not ranked
4. You clinch the conference championship that you haven't claimed in over a decade

That list feels about right to me. If Michigan were #1, I'd say go for it. Since they're #5 and we're #9, NO RUSHING THE COURT!!!

Dear God no, please don't rush the court. You never see true big time programs rushing the court and that's because beating other ranked teams is commonplace and besides, rushing the court after beating Michigan says, "we're not as good as Michigan so we're excited that we beat them". Trust me; we're a better team than Michigan. Let's act like we've been here before, let's be a 'big time program', and be loud during and after the game but don't rush the court!

Pewter's got a pretty nice list there, and I like what FTB added. Despite the Gophers' lofty ranking, if we won this game on a buzzer-beater I'd have a hard time knocking the students if they rushed the floor.

In Williams Arena shouldn't this be referred to as "scaling" the court?

I think there was a court rush when Bauer beat Georgia. Completely meaningless game, completely legit court rush.

Duke rushed the court a few years ago when they had a completely bonkers ending, and despite being heavily favored it was legit.

The Gophers will be about 3 point favorites. I don't like rushing the court unless you're an underdog or do something significant like win the conference title or something like that.

If people start rushing the court, obviously I'm not going to just stay at my seat...I'm joining in! Lol

If we win and students rush and someone gets hurt, I guess I'll take the blame because obviously without me starting this thread, no student would've thought to rush the court

It'd be embarrassing if we rushed the court. We're a top 10 team and we should expect to win home games in the B1G

What??? Totally disagree! We have never beat Top 5 team....its our year. Rush the court send the whole damn Barn on to the floor!!!!

Top Bottom