Running into Jamal

Rick Mons

The former MN Snowman
Reaction score
Right after the game and high-fives by the players, my son bumped into Jamal Abu-Shamala. Alec is a huge fan of JAS's and immediately recognized him walking down from the area by the student section. So, Alec yells out "My Buddy -- Ablu-Shalama" (or something like that -- Alec has a problem pronouncing JAS's last name) and then gives him a high five, and a hug.

JAS was really friendly and chatted for a few minutes. He's heading back to Jordan to play basketball and said he felt safer in Jordan than walking around Minneapolis at night.

In case JAS reads the 'hole: thanks for taking the time to talk with us. It made Alec's day and was the first thing he told his mom and friends when we caught up with them later tonight. In fact, he's talking about going to watch you play. ... :D

JAS is one of the most conversational and down to earth players I've talked to...He is always willing to talk to fans and is a really nice guy, he did represent this program (and still does) well...

JAS is one of the most conversational and down to earth players I've talked to...He is always willing to talk to fans and is a really nice guy, he did represent this program (and still does) well...

+1000.

He's one of my favorite Gophers of all time - he took advantage of every opportunity he had. He's one of the only players I can honestly can say, did not change in his 4 years. Being a D1 athlete can go to your head pretty easily, and he always stayed so humble, genuine, and kind and hard working. I hope he has a long and fulfilling career overseas.

Top Bottom