Running Backs

Not good, clearly. Tyler gonna carry the load and has done so before at the FBS level, but the question will be is it former walk on Jordan Nubin or true freshman Williams backing him up. Does not inspire confidence and will certainly require Athan to play a lot better moving forward if Minnesota expects to win.

Is Max Grand still with program?

I think if Taylor had been playing on those last 3 rounds of three and outs that the Gophers would have picked up at least 1 first down.
Tyler ran hard, but inside running is not his forte.
Maybe it's time for LeCaptain? The next man up would ideally have some physicality. Not sure if Max Grand could garner some play time?

Sean Tyler played well enough in this game. But he didn't in other games. It's an iffy situation.

I think if Taylor had been playing on those last 3 rounds of three and outs that the Gophers would have picked up at least 1 first down.
Tyler ran hard, but inside running is not his forte.
Maybe it's time for LeCaptain? The next man up would ideally have some physicality. Not sure if Max Grand could garner some play time?

I’m pretty sure LeCaptain is still injured too

1Darius TaylorRB5' 11''210Detroit, Mich. / Walled Lake WesternFr.
2Sean TylerRB5' 9''190Richton Park, Ill. / Rich Central / Western Michigan5th
21Bryce WilliamsRB6' 0''210Sarasota, Fla. / Cardinal Mooney6th
23Marquese WilliamsRB5' 9''175Harrisburg, Pa. / Bishop McDevittFr.
25Cortez LeGrantRB5' 11''175Sun Prairie, Wis. / Sun Prairie East HSFr.
26Zach EvansRB5' 10''205Heath, Texas / Rockwall-HeathR-Fr.
30Jordan NubinRB5' 11''215St. Charles, Ill. / St. Charles NorthR-So.
33Max GrandRB5' 9''205Ellsworth, Wis. / EllsworthR-Fr.

If Taylor is out, it's Tyler and then we have no choice but to turn to other freshmen.

That's what the LB room had to do. I dare say they are/were even worse than the RB room.

Lindenberg seems like won't play rest of the year. What a mistake it was to try to rush him back early in the UNC game. Probably hurt himself worse than the original injury.

I can't find anything about a Taylor injury from the game. I think nothing is known about that.

https://www.startribune.com/rb-bryc...-set-to-return-for-gophers-vs-iowa/600313867/

Another week, and more developments in the running back group for Gophers football.

Gophers sixth-year senior Bryce Williams will miss the remainder of the season, while leading rusher Darius Taylor, who missed the previous two games, returned to play in Saturday's 12-10 victory over No. 24 Iowa.

The developments came to light two hours before the 2:30 p.m. kickoff when the Big Ten announced its availability report for the game.

During the game, though, both Taylor and redshirt freshman Zach Evans suffered injuries and did not return. Evans was injured just before halftime and limped off the field with assistance from the training staff. He finished with 10 carries for 44 yards. Taylor became a second-half workhorse, finishing a team-leading 16 carries for 59 yards before leaving the game early in the fourth quarter.

There was no immediate update the status of Taylor, the team's leading rusher, and Evans.

On defense, linebacker Cody Lindenberg, who hasn't played this season because of a leg injury, was listed as questionable on the availability report but did not play. He went through some work with a trainer in early workout but was not in uniform for the game. The hope among the Gophers staff was that Lindenberg would benefit from the bye week and be able to return but did not come to fruition. Coach P.J. Fleck said Monday that Lindenberg was "closer'' to returning.

Safety Darius Green left the game in the third quarter because of a leg injury.

Fwiw Taylor is shown jogging and high-fiving fans after the game on Gophers Instagram page. Tough to draw too many conclusions from that but it’s something.

Would like to think we can beat Mich St at home without him.

But I thought the same thing last year about Mo sitting out homecoming vs Purdue.

What a mistake it was to try to rush him back early in the UNC game. Probably hurt himself worse than the original injury.
Totally reasonable, well researched statement.

Anyone would clearly assume that Cody obviously further hurt himself (worse than the original injury) considering the secrecy this staff holds with injury news.

Oh, and he hasn’t played yet this year:

Ryan Burns had reported previously that Lindenberg got reinjured at some point. It seemed odd to me that he travelled to UNC and worked out on the field pregame yet was not available for that game or the next game (EMU?). The announcers for the Louisiana game mentioned that the Gopher staff hoped to have Cody back after the bye which I recall because I immediately thought it made no sense to risk him against Michigan anyway. Last I heard, Burns was confident we'd see Lindenberg this week, so I was surprised he wasn't out there. Obviously, you have to wonder if he'll play at all this season now.

Not having Darius or Zach might be too big of a blow to overcome. Tyler isn't a between the tackles back and the speed he showed at Western Michigan hasn't translated to the B1G yet. He had fallen to 4th on the depth chart after his fumbling issues.

I can't find anything about a Taylor injury from the game. I think nothing is known about that.
If he's gone, we're in big trouble as we don't have a reliable passing game. Zach has looked good so far, how long will he be out? PJ keeps items like that secret.

1Darius TaylorRB5' 11''210Detroit, Mich. / Walled Lake WesternFr.
2Sean TylerRB5' 9''190Richton Park, Ill. / Rich Central / Western Michigan5th
21Bryce WilliamsRB6' 0''210Sarasota, Fla. / Cardinal Mooney6th
23Marquese WilliamsRB5' 9''175Harrisburg, Pa. / Bishop McDevittFr.
25Cortez LeGrantRB5' 11''175Sun Prairie, Wis. / Sun Prairie East HSFr.
26Zach EvansRB5' 10''205Heath, Texas / Rockwall-HeathR-Fr.
30Jordan NubinRB5' 11''215St. Charles, Ill. / St. Charles NorthR-So.
33Max GrandRB5' 9''205Ellsworth, Wis. / EllsworthR-Fr.
The Running Room must seize the opportunity! Injuries decimate depth charts faster than you think.

PJ Fleck must aggressively recruit RBs and send them to the NFL instead of the Transfer Portal.

Isn’t he out for the season? He’s been the captain they send out for the coin toss ant home games and he’s been in sweats. PJ loves to task injured players to do that.

He has been the captain and yes I believe he is out for the season

The two other freshmen are 175 lbs. Yikes.

What about Max Grand? Has he seen the field at all this year?

The tough thing is pass blocking. Maybe we need to keep a TE in? Use them like an H-back?

Taylor and Evans are guy's that can run north and south and gain 2-3 yards more after contact by dragging the tackler.

No one else on the RB roster that has experience can do that.

It will be interesting to see if we start running more east and west then cut up zone blocking type plays as we had speed at RB but up the middle and into the crowd running is not the fortay for our healthy RBs

OK so tweeted that on the bus home. That could just be excitement for bringing Floyd home.

Thing is, if Taylor is healthy but Evans is out … Fleck will *grind him into powder*. 30-40 carries a game. I don’t know if that’s what’s best for anyone. Hate to see him get “used up” before the Wisc game.

All starters should rest for OSU.

Ryan Burns had reported previously that Lindenberg got reinjured at some point. It seemed odd to me that he travelled to UNC and worked out on the field pregame yet was not available for that game or the next game (EMU?). The announcers for the Louisiana game mentioned that the Gopher staff hoped to have Cody back after the bye which I recall because I immediately thought it made no sense to risk him against Michigan anyway. Last I heard, Burns was confident we'd see Lindenberg this week, so I was surprised he wasn't out there. Obviously, you have to wonder if he'll play at all this season now.

Not having Darius or Zach might be too big of a blow to overcome. Tyler isn't a between the tackles back and the speed he showed at Western Michigan hasn't translated to the B1G yet. He had fallen to 4th on the depth chart after his fumbling issues.
he is not big ten player. he should not even be on the roster. we are in severe trouble at running back exspecially since our QB cant throw and is having a melt down season so far.

From PJ's press conference just now he said (regarding RBs): "We got some good news on some guys." It sounded like he expects to have at least one of Taylor or Evans on Saturday. Take that FWIW.
yes, he actually sounded optimistic.

Be nice to have both available, and just run it down Sparty's throat.

Last edited:

Is Lindenberg eligible to take a medical RS?

He is going to be one of those 7 year guys, which rarely bodes well.

Top Bottom