Run, run, pass

gopherphan

Reaction score
was it just me or was the playcalling more predictable than the sun rising in the east?

That was my major problem with this game. How many times does a run up the middle have to fail before you abandon it? Way frustrating. The passing was actually working today... why so few passes??

That was my major problem with this game. How many times does a run up the middle have to fail before you abandon it? Way frustrating. The passing was actually working today... why so few passes??

because they worked, brew was worried about establishing the run DUH you cant go with what works

I was really disappointed that we weren't more creative today. What was the risk?! Why not pull out all the stops for this game?

Go Gophers!!

We were trying to keep the clock running - as much as I hated it, until 5:47 in the 3rd quarter it actually worked.

The last three years I've seen beggin to go back to running just a few plays and doing them well.
Well, that is what it looks like.
Do some hate Brew so much that they are criticizing him for a game strategy that had us ahead of a much more talented team in the mid-late 3rd quarter?
You don't have to answer that last question. I already know.

I remember Fisch pulled out the entire Playbook against Cal last year & it kept them guessing...

The Run, Run, Pass predictability was killing Weber on 3rd Downs...

I remember Fisch pulled out the entire Playbook against Cal last year & it kept them guessing...

The Run, Run, Pass predictability was killing Weber on 3rd Downs...

i get the KISS method of playcalling, but at least mix it up a bit, maybe run outside sometimes instead of up the middle, maybe pass on first down or second down once in a while, today weber actually looked decent and it was frustrating to watch as i called play after play what they would do, i know my little section would go crazy whenever we saw they didnt have an I formation on 1st and 2nd downs because we were so amazed.

Horton is calling the plays...

I have to agree on the play calling. There's a difference between being committed to the run and being predictable. This was especially frustrating given that USC was putting 9 in the box regularly. You can go to the play-action pass on 1st or 2nd down periodically to keep them honest. We had significant success with the passing game and should have integrated it more. If the D is going to go all-out to stop the run, you have to take what they give you. The DBs were the weakness of the USC D and we should have attacked them more.

But much of that has to be put at Horton's feet. He's calling the plays. Now, Brew can overrule the OC...

Ditto...I would have loved to have seen an end around, or play action bootleg or something...

Here's a line from the Minnesota Trouser we used to sing in band that was in my head after seeing the same play calling every series.

"Golden Goofers give me a break,
On the field you guys don't even rate
Around Christmas we'll be at home,
Round the end and stopped in front
Run, run, pass, punt
Same sh*t at every game"

Even the announcers were poking fun at our Playcalling & one even questioned why we didn't pass on a 1st Down since USC stacked the box everytime...

we called 1 play action the whole game and it went for 20 yards iirc....

WHY DO WE ALWAYS HAVE TO SHOOT OURSELVES IN THE FOOT
*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#

I think the Gophers should try running the ball up the middle more.

Even the announcers were poking fun at our Playcalling & one even questioned why we didn't pass on a 1st Down since USC stacked the box everytime...

Why? Because we can't trust our QB and our QB makes zero plays running to the side of the field. IMO, that's why we don't run play-action, don't run bootlegs, and don't do anything creative. So my question remains, if we can't trust the QB to do ANYTHING (like perform a successful pass play against 9 men in the box), then why is he playing? If our QB can't do anything with his arm or feet, then why not at least put in a QB with some ability to make something happen with, at least, his feet?

This is why Brewster fully deserves to be canned - or "caned", as some other poster put it last week.

Top Bottom