Rumor Alert: aTm to SEC?

Formo

Sections 109 and 114
Reaction score
From BARNUM at HuskerMax.com:

unsportsmanlike conduct discussing it now, seems to have more legs than any other similar story before

link to Unsportsmalike conduct stream http://www.1620thezone.com/ (listen to podcast #1 if clicking on after 2:30 pm(
link to twitter news feed for Texas A&M http://twitter.com/#!/search/texas a&m

Kevin and Mike'l are saying that an aggie 24/7 sports reporter broke the story this morning claiming that the aggies are well in to the process of switching conferences

looks like part of that article was posted on the aggie 24/7 message board here is the link to the thread (http://auburn.247sports.com/Board/42...-SEC-3559992/1)
and an excerpt

It appears the decision makers at A&M are all on the same page, and are moving forward with plans to join the SEC. In fact, we’ve heard that the Aggies could make an announcement as early as in the next couple of weeks. From our sources it sounds like the A&M higher ups have no desire to wait around and see what happens with the Longhorn Network, and are taking matters into their own hands.

That’s not all. Not only could an announcement come soon, but more than one source has told us that the Aggies could be playing in the SEC as early as next season. That’s right, if a deal gets done in the next couple of weeks, this would be the Aggies’ final season in the Big 12.

It’s also our understanding that from the SEC’s end, things are already good to go. If A&M is ready to make the move before the end of the month, we’re told the SEC is ready to go as well. You might be wondering what that means as far as a potential 14th team, but from what we’ve heard the SEC isn’t worried about that for now, they just want the Aggies on board.

In fact, as recently as this morning we’ve heard that the SEC could be in the process of drawing up the paperwork for the Aggies to join the conference.

Now, we also have some sources saying that the original timeline is still the most likely, but the buzz around an early announcement has started to really grow in the last couple of days. By “buzz” we don’t mean internet speculation, but talk from sources.

In the last 24 hours there’s also been a rumor that perhaps Texas Tech could actually be the one to make the first move, our sources do not believe that to be the case. While you can be sure that Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and the rest of the conference for that matter are making contingency plans, there’s no reason to think that anyone other than A&M will strike first.

Also some discussion at the Soonerfans.com board here.

If aTm goes then I would be Oklahoma wouldn't be far behind. Did anyone REALLY think this was all settled?

If aTm goes then I would be Oklahoma wouldn't be far behind. Did anyone REALLY think this was all settled?

I initially thought the same. But someone else at the board mentioned how OU and OSU are a package deal. Are they really? And if that's the case, would the SEC land 3 teams from the BigXII?

Speculation abound.. If this goes down and the BigXII blows up.. Who goes where?

I wouldn't be surprised to see the B1G pick up Mizz and maybe Pitt if the BigEast lands one or more teams from the BigXII.

As a KU alum, I have hoped they'd get aggressive and position themselves to make a move to the ACC. This would create a super conference for basketball (Duke, UNC, KU, etc.) and it would allow them to be more competitive in football. If they stand still, they'll end up in a conference with what's left of the Big 12 after A&M bolts and whomever goes with them and they'll have to add teams like UNLV or SMU (TCU would have been a logical fit before they went to the Big East).

Go Gophers!!

Texas may be orchestrating its own demise. The Big 12 revenue sharing plan (or lack there of) plus the Longhorn Network may seem like a good idea. But if the dominoes fall and all these schools leave the conference, where does that leave Texas? The Big 12 picks up teams like UNLV or SMU? Talk about a diminished conference. They can't go independent. With conferences going 9 games, who would schedule them? I really see all this backfiring on Texas.

Texas to the B1G?
I don't see any potential mutual interest. Texas doesn't want to play second fiddle to OSU, UM, or even Nebraska. And B1G doesn't need Texas.

I don't see any potential mutual interest. Texas doesn't want to play second fiddle to OSU, UM, or even Nebraska. And B1G doesn't need Texas.

And the B1G won't let them have the LHN.

It also seems as if the majority of their fans would rather go to the
PAC 12 than the Big Ten if they didn't go independent.

I'd think they'd go independent most likely and then PAC12 as their second choice. Not sure how the SEC sees them or how they feel about that conference.

I'd be willing to bet Texas goes independent. Can't imagine any conference would want to deal with a school like that. But you never know I guess.

The big ten will not expand without a huge get (Notre Dame or Texas)

Even if the SEC goes to 14, there is not profitability for the big ten to expand without a huge get.

If it happens it'll be notre dame and maryland IMO.

That being said I don't think this is happening at all.

Texas would lose their network if they went into the B1G, they have made their decisions based on that, I would doubt any conference would take them without Texas giving that up or convert to a complete revenue sharing option. It appears they might be headed to Independent in football and one of the lessor conferences for basketball.

Wonder if all this speculation means that Texas wouldn't back down on showing High School games. Maybe that was the last straw. Can't see any of the three schools that have options (A&M, OSU, Oklahoma) willing to stand around and let Texas turn them into the Washington Generals.

Poor ISU will be a MAC school before the end of the decade. :cry: I really don't see the B10 being generous enough to take them on.

I tend to agree with Rosemountain... there wont be any more B10 expansion if it does not include Notre Dame - only with them on board can we even start to discuss Mizzou, Maryland, Pitt, etc.

But on the other hand, I also think everybody is realizing that Texa$ is a greedy, poisonous monster - and it is best for all parties if the Longhorns go independent.

It is an unlikely outcome, given the selfishness of college athletics today, but a conference which consists of: ISU, KU, KSU, Mizzou, OSU, OU, Ttech, and Baylor would certainly be BCS worthy. Maybe throw in TCU or Houston, and its that much more viable. Some serious television markets in there, historic programs, great fans, up-and-coming programs, decent hoops... just saying.

The big ten will not expand without a huge get (Notre Dame or Texas)

Even if the SEC goes to 14, there is not profitability for the big ten to expand without a huge get.

If it happens it'll be notre dame and maryland IMO.

That being said I don't think this is happening at all.

OMG, Maryland is definitely NOT a huge get.

He never said Maryland is a huge get. I think he means that Notre Dame and Texas are in the huge get category and that one of those is necessary. Maryland would be there to bring in a couple of TV markets, a good academic school, good hoops, and to make an even number of teams, of course.

Actually, it would be, getting into the DC market, but I can't see Maryland leaving the ACC unless this all goes very, very haywire.

It would be an interesting experiment if Texas went independant. It almost seems that is their end-game. But would they really benefit? The trend is consolidated conferences expanding to nine games. An independent Texas could likely keep their rivals in OU and A&M, but who else would want to schedule them? Maybe the LHN makes them enough money they could pay a school to schedule a home & home series. Notre Dame benefits from historic rivalries with B1G schools, USC, Pitt & others. I don't see that with Texas other than OU & A&M.
Texas is gambling big time here. The "Don't Mess With Texas" montra may come back to bite them.

1) Texas should be greedy. They are a world-class academic institution now and mentioned along with Berkeley, Virginia and Michigan as the nation's top public universities. The state is filthy rich and their public schools are (believe it or not) at the very top. No Big 12 school is remotely in their league.

2) Only Yankee schools in the Big Ten.

It would be an interesting experiment if Texas went independant. It almost seems that is their end-game. But would they really benefit? The trend is consolidated conferences expanding to nine games. An independent Texas could likely keep their rivals in OU and A&M, but who else would want to schedule them? Maybe the LHN makes them enough money they could pay a school to schedule a home & home series. Notre Dame benefits from historic rivalries with B1G schools, USC, Pitt & others. I don't see that with Texas other than OU & A&M.
Texas is gambling big time here. The "Don't Mess With Texas" montra may come back to bite them.

Notre Dame is at least on NBC, so, schools get fantastic national exposure playing them. What will be the draw to play Texas and get "showcased" on the Longhorn Network?

Notre Dame is at least on NBC, so, schools get fantastic national exposure playing them. What will be the draw to play Texas and get "showcased" on the Longhorn Network?

You have a good point and I don't mean to discredit it, but.....

Don't you think any coach in the nation would love to be able to walk into any Texas living room and tell those young men and their parents about the time they beat the Longhorns? National network television or not, that would be huge for recruiting.

FWIW, the Pac-12 isn't an option for Texas either anymore b/c of the LHR and the new Pac-12 network (it is seemingly the reason Texas blew up the Pac-16 deal last year).

FWIW, the Pac-12 isn't an option for Texas either anymore b/c of the LHR and the new Pac-12 network (it is seemingly the reason Texas blew up the Pac-16 deal last year).

I think everyone is making way too much out of the LHN. They negotiated that with the B12 because the B12 was week and needed Texas more than Texas needed them. If the B12 crumbles, that is no longer the case, and they will need the rest of a major conference more than the major conference needs them. If they go to a major conference they will have to swallow their pride and roll it into the conference network. Unless they join the MAC, WAC, Mountain West...

I really don't think playing as an Independent is going to happen, but if it does it won't last for long. They will lose nearly any chance of going to a BCS game. Especially since they won't be able to schedule 12 games easily against anyone meaningful.

\Anybody heard any Oklahoma internet rumors to Big Ten.

No chance of Oklahoma going to the BIG. There were some on the academic side of things who were reluctant to bring in Nebraska.

According to a fellow in Aggie country:

Today is summer graduation at A&M. At this morning's ceremony a packed Reed Arena broke out into a chant of S-E-C, S-E-C, S-E-C when President Loftin walked up to the podium.

Loftin smiled and said "It's a good day to be in Aggieland"

I don't know how accurate that statement is.. If it is accurate, sounds like a done deal.

Also, aTm's board of regents are having a meeting monday to "talk 'conference affiliation' according to A&M official"

With A&M jumping the BigXII and FSU (maybe) leaving the ACC things have the potential to get pretty interesting...

I'm guessing that the ACC would HAVE to pick up someone to keep the championship game intact. UConn perhaps going to ACC country? Their basketball would surely benefit although their football team is somewhat lacking. If not UConn my other best guesses would be WVU or Rutgers, both of which I could see bolting for the ACC to escape the Big lEast.

On the BigXII side, maybe Houston gets back together a la SWC with UT to raise their profile, maybe SMU gets a thought (just so Baylor isn't ALWAYS the cellar dweller). But I don't see the death of the BigXII like some are predicting.

Finally, if I'm Delany, and I know people don't seem to be in favor of it, but I would pick up Pitt and Missouri. I feel as if instead of holding out for ND or UT we need to collectively give them the middle finger. Don't schedule those punks, (or at least goto 10 conference games so it makes it harder season in and out) and punish them for their greed in college athletics. Obviously ND isn't at fault the way Texas is for screwing up the conference landscape but to be honest I've never liked the Irish and wouldn't want to make ourselves look like the desperate girl when we simply don't need them. I believe regional affiliation and rivalries is the most important thing in terms of preserving the spirit of college football, however I understand that in the end its about the money, and more ridiculous picks might be made if the B1G expands. Missouri and Pitt fit in our geographic footprint very well, and would allow us to add two solid programs that will provide good depth and competition.

Top Bottom