Ruesse's 1st guest on KSTP 1500am on Monday will be....

Anyone know how long it usually takes for them to post the podcast on their site? Maybe I'm just missing it too.

I have read and listened to Reusse for a long time. I have no doubt that he was a true Gopher fan at one time. I doubt that he still considers himself a fan, but he is still very informed about the teams. The question from day to day is whether he will feel like emphasizing the positive or the negative. There's usually not an in-between.

This is where I found fault for people that constantly ripped on KFAN. There has been very little positive to emphasize. If they talk about the program at all, it ususally was the negative for that reason. When the Gophers have been newsworthy, it was because of failings.

This is where I found fault for people that constantly ripped on KFAN. There has been very little positive to emphasize. If they talk about the program at all, it ususally was the negative for that reason. When the Gophers have been newsworthy, it was because of failings.

I don't necessarily disagree. However, they tend to win 6-8 games per year. They go to bowls, albeit minor ones. There are some good things to say on occasion. Decker, Maroney, Barber, Eslinger, etc. The Gophers deserve their share of criticism, but there are some positive stories, and they don't have to look too hard. They just don't look at all.

As for Reusse, whether he feels positive or negative that day affects what he says about every team. Not just the Gophers. Frankly, that "charm" is part of the reason people like him.

Do i really need barrerio or PA telling me every time they talk about the gophers that they dont win much..........the audience must be dumber than a stump because that ain't exactly rocket science reporting

Kfan was to personal about it and sound like whiney children when they do it.....but then again, maybe thats exactly what they are

A perfect example of how coverage of Gopher Football has been woefully inadequate:

Matt Thomas (who is more professional than most in this market), in on of his last shows claimed that "most expected the Gophers to finnish with at least 8 wins." :confused:

Who exactly expected Minnesota to have 8+ wins last year? Nine wins? So, apparently the expectation of most peopel was a New Year's Day bow game last year? The crazy thing is, he said it ... but most of the media seemed to retroactively claim that this was the level of expectation. But you would have to know nothing about college football to think the 2009 Gophers were likely to win 9 games.

This would be about the same as someone saying that most people expect the Twins to at least win the American League, (but probably the World Series). Anything less is a disapointment and a sign of chaos.

Anyone know how long it usually takes for them to post the podcast on their site? Maybe I'm just missing it too.

looks like they are a little behind with getting new podcasts up on their site. guessing it might have something to do with all of the staff changes going on over there, etc. i am sure it will be up at somepoint soon.

Just curious, did Reusse talk about the interview, the team, and/or Brewster after the interview was over?

Comments After Brewster Interview

Just curious, did Reusse talk about the interview, the team, and/or Brewster after the interview was over?

Pat and his pal on the broadcast kind of snickered with each other after the interview. Brew's comment to Reusse at the end of the interview about Pat in his heart really loving Gopher football and how he admired Pat for being a long term sports journalist in the area, got no comment from Reusse....in fact, it was a very clear "no comment". Cold. Then when Brew was gone, it was like they were kind of relieved that it was over and they kind of chuckled with each other. I think they both thought Tim came across as a phony, patronizing dope. That was my immediate impression.

Contrast that with the next interview with Gardenhire which was really informational, easy going and kidding around. The Brew thing was much more tight and distant than the conversation with Gardy. Brew was using his familiar technique of mentioning Pat's name over and over and over again as if they were buddies. Pat was nice, but it was clear there was no real connection with Brew from his end. Brew answered all the questions with stock optimistic answers.....what you would expect.

Pat and his pal on the broadcast kind of snickered with each other after the interview. Brew's comment to Reusse at the end of the interview about Pat in his heart really loving Gopher football and how he admired Pat for being a long term sports journalist in the area, got no comment from Reusse....in fact, it was a very clear "no comment". Cold. Then when Brew was gone, it was like they were kind of relieved that it was over and they kind of chuckled with each other. I think they both thought Tim came across as a phony, patronizing dope. That was my immediate impression.

Contrast that with the next interview with Gardenhire which was really informational, easy going and kidding around. The Brew thing was much more tight and distant than the conversation with Gardy. Brew was using his familiar technique of mentioning Pat's name over and over and over again as if they were buddies. Pat was nice, but it was clear there was no real connection with Brew from his end. Brew answered all the questions with stock optimistic answers.....what you would expect.

brewster took pat to the woodshed......and I dont expect that interview to be podcast

Pat and his pal on the broadcast kind of snickered with each other after the interview. Brew's comment to Reusse at the end of the interview about Pat in his heart really loving Gopher football and how he admired Pat for being a long term sports journalist in the area, got no comment from Reusse.....

Wow! That wasn't what I heard at all, no offense intended. My interpretation is that the kidding was rather mild after the interview. Patrick did mention that Brewster knew radio a little better then he did; always mention the person's name and station call letters. The sidekick also mentioned that Brewster may have thought he was being punked by the station when he was cut-off at the beginning.

Gardy and Reusse have a long term relationship. Brewster referred to himself and Patrick as the Gophers and "Iowa or Wisconsin" and Patrick compared the relationship to the troubles in the Middle East! They haven't exactly been buddies and they both knew it and so did the audience.

I thought it went very well. It's what a lot of us asked for a civil discussion. Patrick asked some questions that should have been asked. Brewster actually gave some answers that weren't rote. They both noted that they didn't iike each other. I could have done without Tim trying to get Pat to say he was a Gopher fan. The "Pat and Sid" are vets line also could have been left off. I would have liked him to have said something along the lines of needed "thick skin" but that's a minor quibble.

It was probably Brewster's way of trying to be civil.

The "snark" was non-existent during the interview and very minor after.

So Brewster forbid anyone who is remotely associated with the football program from talking to KFAN, but he agreed to appear on the first show with Reusse, who's been tougher on him and the program than anyone in town? Just my opinion, but it sure looks like Paul Allen was stretching the truth when he ran to the mic this fall saying that KFAN had been blackballed.

So Brewster forbid anyone who is remotely associated with the football program from talking to KFAN, but he agreed to appear on the first show with Reusse, who's been tougher on him and the program than anyone in town? Just my opinion, but it sure looks like Paul Allen was stretching the truth when he ran to the mic this fall saying that KFAN had been blackballed.

Except that PA wasn't stretching the truth (I'm not going to re-hash this whole topic but I have it straight from within the athletic dept. that KFAN's version of the story is essentially true). At any rate, if Brewster is such a great and savvy recruiter/marketer (which so many here believe him to be) then I'm willing to give him credit for seeing AM1500 as a great opportunity. This is about more than just Pat - it's about T-Brew realizing that if KFAN is worthless to him as a marketing tool, that AM1500 could have great value.

Like him or not, I've never heard anyone say that Pat doesn't know what he's talking about - he knows local sports as well as anyone. The most strategic thing for T-Brew to do is to jump right into the fray at AM1500 and make sure that he and the program are accessible to them. Not only will that help the program, but it will also stick the needle to KFAN as their competitor. The Gophers have WCCO in their back pocket - they may as well at least hold hands with AM1500.

Wow! That wasn't what I heard at all, no offense intended. My interpretation is that the kidding was rather mild after the interview. Patrick did mention that Brewster knew radio a little better then he did; always mention the person's name and station call letters. The sidekick also mentioned that Brewster may have thought he was being punked by the station when he was cut-off at the beginning.

I agree more with you than the other guy. It more seemed like Reusse was going with scripted set questions and Brester answered all very informatively.

Afterword it did seem like the producer or sidekick wanted to make fun of Brewster for repeatedly calling Reusse as "Pat" or "Patrick" on every response, but Reusse didn't take the bait. Instead I think he actually said to stop so in that people wouldn't accuse him of taking shots at Brewster once again.

If KSTP 1500 can use the Brew connection to compete with KFAN, great. Brew needs a local radio station where he can communicate with fans.

The U of M, from the top administration on down, has a mission of offering opportunities to student athletes. Nothing wrong with that, but they do NOT have a mission of excelling or competing at a national level in the major sports. They do NOT want to compete in FB, BB, Hockey, etc. All major sports are suffering over there.

Amen. I've been saying the same thing for several years now. I've listened to Joel Maturi dozens of times since he got the job and I have never heard him refer to winning as anything other than a "nice to have."

In the Sid column you mentioned Maturi said he's "not hitting the panic button yet." I'd like to know, why not? When will it be time to hit the panic button?

As I've said many times on this board, Maturi (and perhaps the rest of the administration) is a people pleasing lightweight who likes to make politically painless statements and decisions.

Top Bottom