RPO Blocking

mchiller

Reaction score
Could someone explain the blocking scheme when running the RPO offense? It's my understanding that lineman can't go down the field on a pass, but can on a run. How does this work when the play can be either a run or a pass?

I think the linemen are instructed to run block and if it's a pass, it's the QB's job to get the ball out early enough for them to not get penalized. The rule is 3 yards which is a good bit of room and they usually don't call it that tightly.

I think the linemen are instructed to run block and if it's a pass, it's the QB's job to get the ball out early enough for them to not get penalized. The rule is 3 yards which is a good bit of room and they usually don't call it that tightly.

This is almost always the case on RPO

In recent weeks there seems to be more emphasis on penalizing linemen who stray too far downfield on pass plays.

JTG

In recent weeks there seems to be more emphasis on penalizing linemen who stray too far downfield on pass plays.

JTG

If the RPO is "too" successful, I fear defensive coaches will complain more and more and start demanding that referees start penalizing linemen.

A fundamental part of defense is recognizing when it's a run or a pass. It's almost "cheating" if OL can run block on a pass play.

Top Bottom