Royce at Practice

millions2spare

Krav-Maga
Reaction score
All the questions will be answered when we find out if Royce is at today's practice. Does anyone have any information on that?

Expect Royce vs OSU on Jan 31st!

Yes, Royce was at practice today per Myron:

"White practiced with the team again Friday, a sign that he's here to stay. Smith said he's won't play Saturday but didn't elaborate on the freshman forward's playing status or indefinite suspension. Johnson said White hasn't "lost a step," even though he hadn't practiced with the team for two months before returning earlier this week."

Go Gophers!!

Love that fact that he doesn't seem to have lost his step, hopefully we see him on the court soon, my guess is either Tuesday against Northwestern or at Ohio State like Shooter mentioned.

Is it safe to say he suits up for the game tomorrow to go through warmups??

Love that fact that he doesn't seem to have lost his step, hopefully we see him on the court soon, my guess is either Tuesday against Northwestern or at Ohio State like Shooter mentioned.

Is it safe to say he suits up for the game tomorrow to go through warmups??

The "hasn't lost a step" line comes from Johnson.. what else is he going to say?

Tubby says he's out of shape. You need to be concerned with what the coach thinks, not what his buddies say.

It is not safe to say he suits up tomorrow. The question is, 'will he be allowed to sit on the bench in street clothes?'

Per the Bleed "Andy Katz" thread

Per Bleed's thread and the Andy Katz link:

Tubby says, "He [ Al ] had a lot of issues this fall but he still had to do the work," Smith said. "I'm planning that we won't have him for the rest of the season."

Smith said that he would hope Nolen would continue to pursue a degree and stay in school for his final season, assuming he is eligible...

Meanwhile, Smith said freshmen Royce White, who had been indefinitely suspended due to his role in a shoplifting and dormitory trespassing incident, may not play this season either. White started practicing for the first time this week, but Smith said the highly touted frosh isn't in shape and with only a dozen games remaining, it might not make sense to play White even if he is completely cleared

Folks should get off this 'we need rw horse'. We have to play with the cards we have in our hand. I hope the lads can pull together a solid team effort tomorrow.

The "hasn't lost a step" line comes from Johnson.. what else is he going to say?

Tubby says he's out of shape. You need to be concerned with what the coach thinks, not what his buddies say.

It is not safe to say he suits up tomorrow. The question is, 'will he be allowed to sit on the bench in street clothes?'

Yeah, "hasn't lost a step" isn't the same as "in game shape" He could still be quick and be a beast, but to play in a Big Ten game, he's probably not in that kind of shape to contribute much at the very moment. I think they'll tread carefully with Royce here.

Its not like his basketball skills deteriorated after just a couple months of not playing competitively. The issue is his conditioning. You can't just step into playing 15-25 minutes a game after not even practicing for an extended period.

I find it hard to believe he couldn't handle a couple of 3-4 minute stints by the Ohio State game and go from there.

Its not like his basketball skills deteriorated after just a couple months of not playing competitively. The issue is his conditioning. You can't just step into playing 15-25 minutes a game after not even practicing for an extended period.

Bingo! He's not in shape to play 38 minutes a game, and he wouldn't play that much anyway. He is in good enough to shape to come off the bench. The only way to get into playing shape is to actually play games. It's gotta be gradual. But Royce is so talented, that he'll do much better out of shape, then most of the people on our bench right now.

Pretty sure an out of shape Royce is 10 times better than any "pf" we play. I doubt he's that out of shape to play that we wouldn't be better at least playing him off the bench. Unfortunately that isn't the main problem for Royce though.

I find it hard to believe he couldn't handle a couple of 3-4 minute stints by the Ohio State game and go from there.

I'm certain this is true as well-he's an 18 year old athlete built like a horse. I think the out of shape bit is coach-speak for "leave me alone about him playing".

He just started practicing with the team. Even if cleared to play by Tubby, Maturi et al it will take longer than a couple of practice sessions to get him ready to jump into Big 10 action. I have to believe its a matter of getting back into flow with the team as much or more than being physically able to run up and down the court.

I say red shirt him.

You honestly think Royce is going to be a 4 year player here? The chances of that are slim to none if you ask me, redshirting him does us no good, we need to win now. Don't get me wrong, I always look for what's best for the future of the program, but redshirting him is not in the teams best interest if you ask me.

It won't take Royce much time to get into game shape, the kid is an 19 year old athlete for crying out loud, his body recovers as fast now as it ever will. Plus I'm willing to bet he has been doing more than just sitting on his duff over the past couple months. If you are not working out, there is no way you can just throw over 200+ pounds on the bench press and rep it with ease like he did in the video below. I give him 2 weeks of full out practice with the team before he is more than ready to compete at a Big Ten level.

In all reality, it's really unfortunate we are in the situation we are with him, it really would have been fun to watch him for an entire season this year. I'm willing to bet that if he had been playing with us all year, our beloved Gophers would be in a much better situation right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DPnxp-5y9c

Top Bottom