Rosebowl facility

#2Gopher

Reaction score
By Scott Nordlund (moneywise.com)

One of the more picturesque stadiums in the country, the Rose Bowl is a somewhat creaky venue that's in need of significant repairs.

Home to the UCLA Bruins, the Rose Bowl opened in 1922 and is a National Historic Landmark.

But in the present day, it's known for its horrible parking, cramped concourses and seats, and aging facilities.

As one Yelp reviewer says, “If you must go [to the Rose Bowl], leave your house at least five to six hours before the concert or game begins. Prepare to be irritated at the sheer incompetence of a city and venue that does as little as possible, and generally doesn't give a rat's patooty once they've got your money."

Yeah, but how is the weather and the mountains in the background?

Just holding out hope of seeing the Gophers there as Big Ten champions, playing a meaningful game. Would even accept Big Ten runner's up in a non-playoff NY6 game.

That's it. Not there for the stadium itself, just the history and symbolism.

I went to the Rose Bowl in 2008 when USC blasted Illinois. I stood approx 25 minutes & didn't move in the dark concrete concourse tunnel that brings you to your seats. Didn't even bother trying to go get a beverage or stadium fare or hit up a bathroom during the game. Then again, same thing happened when I went to see the Gophers play in Lincoln against the Huskers.

I think if you were a UCLA fan, you would dislike the place as it's not a great home venue to be at 7x a year. But I think the place is perfect for one afternoon the first day of the year. Everything from getting up early for the parade to the 2nd half glow of the sun off the mountains was absolutely perfect.

Just once....ONCE....I want to see one of those end zone's painted in maroon & gold with the words MINNESOTA

Would love to see the Gophers in the Rose Bowl, but would do almost anything to avoid the corrupt, inefficient. crime ridden LA area....a real bona fide cesspool. Too bad its located in California.

Would love to see the Gophers in the Rose Bowl, but would do almost anything to avoid the corrupt, inefficient. crime ridden LA area....a real bona fide cesspool. Too bad its located in California.
There are ways to avoid that and it is not as bad as advertised. They have gameday down to a science.

I went to the Rose Bowl in 2008 when USC blasted Illinois. I stood approx 25 minutes & didn't move in the dark concrete concourse tunnel that brings you to your seats. Didn't even bother trying to go get a beverage or stadium fare or hit up a bathroom during the game. Then again, same thing happened when I went to see the Gophers play in Lincoln against the Huskers.

I think if you were a UCLA fan, you would dislike the place as it's not a great home venue to be at 7x a year. But I think the place is perfect for one afternoon the first day of the year. Everything from getting up early for the parade to the 2nd half glow of the sun off the mountains was absolutely perfect.

Just once....ONCE....I want to see one of those end zone's painted in maroon & gold with the words MINNESOTA
There is no way there are lines for concessions during UCLA games though

in 2019 the SOLD at about 55% capacity.
That means if you include no shows they were probably well below half full

Not a huge fan of this list. Instead of actually talking about the stadiums themselves....they often are baking the concession situation and the lack of fan attendance into the equation.

JUST TELL US HOW BIG OF A DUMP KINNICK IS! WHO CARES IF YOU CAN GET FRIED MAYONAISE BALLS AND THAT YOU'LL GET A SEAT NEXT TO TOOTHLESS JIMBO AND HASN'T SHOWERED IN A MONTH JED!

I went to the Rose Bowl to see U2 back in 2017. If you were in a hurry to get out of there, park in downtown Pasadena and walk in/out.

I would like to see a list that was P5 venues only as I don’t hold those other schools to the same standard. Like covered above, the list isn’t just about the stadium itself. I’d have Illinois and Purdue listed - they are no better than Maryland. Nebraska is a good atmosphere though the stadium itself is a mish mash mess with most seats in the end zones (like the metrodome). I do like TCF. Wish we could be there - followed by a trip to the dumpy Rose Bowl.

I’ve been to Camp Randall which sounds like all the decrepit vibe of the Rose Bowl, but without all that pesky sunshine and scenery

I would like to see a list that was P5 venues only as I don’t hold those other schools to the same standard. Like covered above, the list isn’t just about the stadium itself. I’d have Illinois and Purdue listed - they are no better than Maryland. Nebraska is a good atmosphere though the stadium itself is a mish mash mess with most seats in the end zones (like the metrodome). I do like TCF. Wish we could be there - followed by a trip to the dumpy Rose Bowl.

Been to Fenway a couple of times; compared to modern baseball stadiums it blows. You don't go there for amenities, craft beers or kale - you go there to say you were there and bask in the experience - it's transformative it you're not worried about putting on a Yelp review which no one other than you gives two shites about. Quit worrying about what it could be and enjoy it for what it is - Lord knows, we could all use refurbishing.

I went to the U2 concert at the Rose Bowl in 2017 with my wife. Stayed in LA, right near the edge of Pasadena, and had a fantastic time.

Weather was beautiful, restaurants were great! We parked in Pasadena and took a bus to the stadium. Great time “tailgating” and didn’t have any troubles taking a leak or getting a beer.

The setting was everything I imagined it would be and more, absolutely awesome.

Been to Fenway a couple of times; compared to modern baseball stadiums it blows. You don't go there for amenities, craft beers or kale - you go there to say you were there and bask in the experience - it's transformative it you're not worried about putting on a Yelp review which no one other than you gives two shites about. Quit worrying about what it could be and enjoy it for what it is - Lord knows, we could all use refurbishing.

I liked Fenway Park as well, but a second somewhat unique thing about is you can walk across the ;very narrow street and sit in a number of old taverns, and not so old ones before and after the game, plus the exterior of Fenway does not really look much like there is stadium inside.

The Rose Bowl on the other hand is out in the middle of nowhere, despite the great sunset view on TV.

If I were UCLA, I'd probably move to the Rams/Chargers stadium, or even back to the LAC where they played for years. (OK not that)

Top Bottom