Roller Coaster

Schnauzer

Pretty Sure You are Wrong
Reaction score
Before the season I predicted the Gophers would continue to improve this year and my thoughts on a season win total was 7. I figured they'd go either 4-0 or 3-1 in non con games and 3-5 or maybe 4-4 in conference games with a most likely overall outcome 7-5 record. Another good year of improvement for Jerry Kill's team.

I basically had to quit reading Gopher Hole two weeks ago with all the threads and comments about how the coaching had to go, the team was headed for a winless conference season, this season is a big step back, etc.

Now, we've got threads about the chances of the team going 10-2 and the chances this season gets made into a movie. Although I'd rather read posts dreaming about the conference title game and movies... in the end I STILL think the team is headed for 7-5, although I think the chances of even a bigger step to 8-4 is now on the table. That isn't exactly movie material, but guess what... I enjoy the team's improvement and direction as much today as I did the Sunday after the Michigan loss.

You can see it coming... a possible loss to an improving Indiana team and Limegrover better retrieve the 'for sale' sign from the back of his garage.

Before the season I predicted the Gophers would continue to improve this year and my thoughts on a season win total was 7. I figured they'd go either 4-0 or 3-1 in non con games and 3-5 or maybe 4-4 in conference games with a most likely overall outcome 7-5 record. Another good year of improvement for Jerry Kill's team.

I basically had to quit reading Gopher Hole two weeks ago with all the threads and comments about how the coaching had to go, the team was headed for a winless conference season, this season is a big step back, etc.

Now, we've got threads about the chances of the team going 10-2 and the chances this season gets made into a movie. Although I'd rather read posts dreaming about the conference title game and movies... in the end I STILL think the team is headed for 7-5, although I think the chances of even a bigger step to 8-4 is now on the table. That isn't exactly movie material, but guess what... I enjoy the team's improvement and direction as much today as I did the Sunday after the Michigan loss.

You can see it coming... a possible loss to an improving Indiana team and Limegrover better retrieve the 'for sale' sign from the back of his garage.

Hindsight is 20/20. There is a completely different trend now then there was after the Iowa and Michigan game. You can say you're level headed all you want, but the Iowa game especially was a giant step back in the progress of the team. I can't blame anyone for being extremely disappointed and concerned with the direction of the team with the way that game turned out.

Hindsight is 20/20. There is a completely different trend now then there was after the Iowa and Michigan game. You can say you're level headed all you want, but the Iowa game especially was a giant step back in the progress of the team. I can't blame anyone for being extremely disappointed and concerned with the direction of the team with the way that game turned out.

No it wasn't. It was a loss. a butt whupping for sure... But I say it was a huge step forward in the progress of this team!!! Adversity creates fantastic learning and coaching opportunities and we are seeing the results of that in the last two games...

No it wasn't. It was a loss. a butt whupping for sure... But I say it was a huge step forward in the progress of this team!!! Adversity creates fantastic learning and coaching opportunities and we are seeing the results of that in the last two games...

As I said, Hindsight is 20/20.

"If lessons are learned in defeat, then our team is getting a great education" - Murray Warmath via Kill in 2011.

And that's why we let the season complete before we judge it.

Who said anyone was judging the season? My only point is, it's easy to start a thread like this after a win like the Nebraska win.

Enjoy the ride, the roller coaster is part of what makes sports fun. From my own perspective, when the emotion is gone, so is the fun.

Emotional roller coaster

bjCnnEF.jpg

This season has been quite the roller coaster, and I, for one, have enjoyed every minute of it, even the tough losses to watch. Most of us have come to realize that being a Gopher fan can somtimes feel like getting kicked in the stomach, over and over again, but it is wins and games like the past two weeks that keep many of us coming back for more.

I couldn't be more pleased with the way the season is going and am very happy that there are four more regular season games, plus a bowl game, for all of us to enjoy where this season will end up and watch the further development of this team.

Hey Schnauzer - LOL -You need to be a little more politically correct. Bi-polar is a serious problem and the GopherHole has more than their share of people who suffer from this. As Jerry has said often we need to build this program one step at a time and have patience. Thank god the players listen better to Jerry than we do. As my good friend Grover would say "It is to laugh."

Good times and bad, it is great to be a fan of such a classy group of coaches and players. I love this team!

That said, after the IA loss, it was clear the offensive coaching staff had failed the team. Have they fixed their mistakes? Absolutely. Did they deserve the lambasting? Yes (IMO).

Our scheme against IA wouldn't have beaten them if we had performed at our highest level...we just didn't have a game plan that would get us over the top, IMO. Limegrover has taken that loss on him, he did better against MI, but still was way too tentative...especially with the last two minutes of the first half. We had the freaking ball at mid-field with 2 minutes left. His play calling was astonishing bad and showed that he didn't have faith in his team...he let the team down.

The last two weeks he has really stepped it up...and we have taken chances when we needed and executed on an offensive attack that leaves defenses guessing. Our improved offense makes our defense look better. Limegrover is earning his check again and I hope he sticks with it. If not, I will again be calling for his head and the mods on this board will again be deleting my comments and my threads...to which I say again - suck my ballz.

I still think Kill being available to the offense during the week without the HC duties is helping Limegrover, the QBs and the offensive game plan substantially. Hopefully Limegrover learns from this and stays aggressive!

Anybody who predicted we'd win more than 3 conference games was being unrealistic.

I thought two wins was the most likely scenario.

Hey Schnauzer - LOL -You need to be a little more politically correct. Bi-polar is a serious problem and the GopherHole has more than their share of people who suffer from this. As Jerry has said often we need to build this program one step at a time and have patience. Thank god the players listen better to Jerry than we do. As my good friend Grover would say "It is to laugh."

Build it one step at a time is the way they are doing it and succeeding at this point. When guys are getting hurt we are able to put equal abilities in to replace them. Wells has been injured all year and others are playing equal to better than he does. No fewer than 12 DB's have played snaps this year. We are competing with a team that will have many players back and is able to redshirt some good players this year.

We lose 13 guys that see the field.

Full Back - 1
WR - 2
K
OL- 1
Long Snapper
LB - 2
DL -2
DB - 3

One thing that has been lost in all this discussion was a quote I read from Phillip Nelson. Go look it up, because it's very relevant. Nelson implied that Limegrover had been "timid" (that was the exact word he used) in his play calling prior to the NW and Neb. games. GH'ers were not being delusional and were not out-of-line for being confused about the play-calling and game plans for Iowa and Michigan. I'm not suggesting that a different game plan would have given us a better chance to win (cause admittedly I'm no- where near capable of understanding the intricacies of the game), but if Phillip Nelson believed that Limegrover was being "timid", then GH'ers can not be lambasted for worrying whether we were going to go 0-8 in the B1G. Had we called only the exact same plays in NW and Neb. that were called in Iowa and Michigan, we may (and I say "may" not "would") all be still really bummed out right now.

The experts on GH may say that Limegrover was not in a position to call a more varied and "open" offense against Iowa and Michigan, and they may be 100% right. But my hunch is that Limegrover secretly wishes he could have a do-over against those two teams.

All I know is that I'm so happy for these players, this coaching staff and the entire State of Gopher Football. I have to believe that the positivity coming from the program will translate into even better days ahead. Go Gophers! I love you guys!!

After that Neb game the thought of where this team could be at the end of the season really excites me. Yes, its a roller coaster and sometimes it drives me nuts, but with the signature win, nothing but positive thoughts about this program for the moment and that is refreshing. Having said all this we have Indiana this weekend and we have a chance to really show that the last game was no fluke.

GO GOPHERS!!

The love and respect that many of us Gopher Fans have developed for our players is the same love and respect that the players have developed for Coach Kill and His Staff. Only good things happen, one step at a time, when love and respect starts showing progress and pride.

GO GOPHERS!!!

Anybody who predicted we'd win more than 3 conference games was being unrealistic.

I thought two wins was the most likely scenario.

We are right on track with my prediction of 8 wins total. I thought 3 conference wins and a bowl victory. I'd rather be wrong and have the unrealistic scenario of 4 conference wins and a bowl victory happen.

Build it one step at a time is the way they are doing it and succeeding at this point. When guys are getting hurt we are able to put equal abilities in to replace them. Wells has been injured all year and others are playing equal to better than he does. No fewer than 12 DB's have played snaps this year. We are competing with a team that will have many players back and is able to redshirt some good players this year.

We lose 13 guys that see the field.

Full Back - 1
WR - 2
K
OL- 1
Long Snapper
LB - 2
DL -2
DB - 3

I appreciate your post but I am not sure what you are trying to say by the bolded comment.

From my perspective losing those 13 players is certainly not a problem. I am confident that it is less than most other Big Ten teams. Also for Minnesota the number of returning starters next year, especially on offense, is very positive.

If your point is that we have red shirted less than other teams that may or may not be true, but I suspect it is. That's because our depth hasn't been built up yet but we have significant strides in this area. We may not be where we need to be but we should be able red shirt more in the future.

I predicted 7 wins also. Your post is dead nuts on. I didn't think at the start of the season we had a ghost of chance in beating Nebraska. I will not be upset if we lose to Indiana. I think we will beat PSU
And give Becky all they can handle

I appreciate your post but I am not sure what you are trying to say by the bolded comment.

From my perspective losing those 13 players is certainly not a problem. I am confident that it is less than most other Big Ten teams. Also for Minnesota the number of returning starters next year, especially on offense, is very positive.

If your point is that we have red shirted less than other teams that may or may not be true, but I suspect it is. That's because our depth hasn't been built up yet but we have significant strides in this area. We may not be where we need to be but we should be able red shirt more in the future.

Either you read Maxy's post wrong, or I did, but I think you are saying the same thing he did.

Top Bottom