Rodney Williams to the Timberwolves next year?

gopherdiehard

Reaction score
i saw a mock draft board last week that had the timberwolves trading up to get him early in the second round.. I think it would be a great fit for both teams, and being a fan of both the wolves and gophers, could you imagine rubio throwing lobs to Rodney? damn..

It would be fun in that scenario. Rodney's stalk is starting back up after falling for years. Most see him as a defensive stopper with just enough offense to earn minutes. The twolves are one of the least athletic teams so it would be a good fit. Let's draft Trevor in the second also and have a great athletic bench!

I might actually watch the wolves!

The wolves are boring as can be, so I'm all for drafting a Gophers even if he is only a career back up.

He would definately be a fan favorite when he would get in the game...but I don't see him getting a lot of minutes in the NBA. Don't get me wrong I love Rodney but he would have a lot of things to improve to be on the same level as some of those guys.

I think Rodney would fit very well on the Wolves, but I doubt he falls to them in the second round. I bet he'll end up at the end of the first, and some smart team will see a chance to get a great role player for his defense and ability to play in transition.

Wow! I would love if the Wolves did that!

I try to go to as many Wolves games a year as I can and I think Rodney would be a perfect fit.

Would you love it enough to buy some tickets?

Haha!

Considering the fact I have tickets to 4 games this year already, yes, I would love it. I would love to have Wolves season tickets if I still lived in the cities, but living 2 1/2 - 3 hours away in west central mn doesn't really make being a season ticket holder overly affordable with all the driving and time off of work I would need to go.

I think it's interesting watching Rodney progress towards the draft and hopefully towards an NBA career. After being in Royce White's shadow through high school and then watching Royce flame out in his first year with Minnesota and then in his first year in the NBA, Rodney has been quietly working, through his own issues at times, and now seems to be prepared to take his next step in the draft. Not knowing him I hope he's got as much character as I think he does.

I think it would be great for the Timberwolves to snag Rodney in the draft. It would make a really nice connection between fan bases, and maybe even use it as a recruiting pitch that we have the Wolves next door with ex Gophers on the roster. That is something that many power schools can't say, that they have NBA programs in their city that they have connections to.

As far as Rodney's skill set in the NBA - IMO he is ahead of DWill on our team. Both aren't good NBA shooters, but Rodney is way more coordinated. DWill can fly high too, but he always jumps without result - it's like he is out there by himself without purpose. I believe Rodney has a better head on his shoulders too. If Rodney can hit a consistent elbow jumper (see D. Cunningham), I don't see why he can't add much needed athleticism to the Wolves roster off the bench.

It would be fun in that scenario. Rodney's stalk is starting back up after falling for years. Most see him as a defensive stopper with just enough offense to earn minutes. The twolves are one of the least athletic teams so it would be a good fit. Let's draft Trevor in the second also and have a great athletic bench!

His plant stem? Hehe, sorry I had to :)

But playing for Rick Adelman, wouldn't be the worst thing for him. He's a pretty versatile, all-around type guy. Doesn't need the ball in his hands a lot to be a positive factor on the floor, long, athletic, can defend, rebound, underrated as a passer, and most importantly, he's coachable. I don't think that'd be a bad pick for us at all.

Couldn't be much worse than Wesley Johnson was for the Wolves. He'd at least take higher percentage shots

I think it would be great for the Timberwolves to snag Rodney in the draft. It would make a really nice connection between fan bases, and maybe even use it as a recruiting pitch that we have the Wolves next door with ex Gophers on the roster. That is something that many power schools can't say, that they have NBA programs in their city that they have connections to.

As far as Rodney's skill set in the NBA - IMO he is ahead of DWill on our team. Both aren't good NBA shooters, but Rodney is way more coordinated. DWill can fly high too, but he always jumps without result - it's like he is out there by himself without purpose. I believe Rodney has a better head on his shoulders too. If Rodney can hit a consistent elbow jumper (see D. Cunningham), I don't see why he can't add much needed athleticism to the Wolves roster off the bench.

Yeah, this is exactly how I see it. Rodney would be an effective bench player for the Wolves and a lot of other teams because he doesn't need the ball to be effective. He could rebound, defend multiple positions, finish in transition, etc. He would simply need to be able to consistantly knock down easy shots and he'll have himself a nice NBA career.

You're right, he's a better fit coming off the bend of an NBA team than DWill. The Cunningham comparison was apt.

He could rebound, defend multiple positions, finish in transition, etc.

He will be on an NBA roster, hopefully 1st rd pick and get some minutes. Think of him on the T'Wolves- could he beat out a 'Chase Budginger'? No, not now folks. Rodney has improved every year, he has a shot.

Haha!

Considering the fact I have tickets to 4 games this year already, yes, I would love it. I would love to have Wolves season tickets if I still lived in the cities, but living 2 1/2 - 3 hours away in west central mn doesn't really make being a season ticket holder overly affordable with all the driving and time off of work I would need to go.
I have a buddy that lives west of Alexandria and drives down for every game. Of course he is a retired banker with time and money...

He will end up being a late 1st. Gut feeling.

I agree they way things are going now, I see Rodney going in mid to late first round. If he performs in big ten games the way he has is the pre-conference games, he will go first round for sure.

Trevor has a good shot too if he keeps improving each game.

In a weaker overall draft I still don't see Rodney going any earlier then the bottom of the first. Remember he is listed at 6'7" and what 210lbs and playing power forward. He will have to be undersized sf in the nba. That position requires you to be at least an adequate outside shooter. I wish him the best though.
I agree they way things are going now, I see Rodney going in mid to late first round. If he performs in big ten games the way he has is the pre-conference games, he will go first round for sure.

Trevor has a good shot too if he keeps improving each game.

In a weaker overall draft I still don't see Rodney going any earlier then the bottom of the first. Remember he is listed at 6'7" and what 210lbs and playing power forward. He will have to be undersized sf in the nba. That position requires you to be at least an adequate outside shooter. I wish him the best though.

I assume you meant undersized PF. He will not play power forward in the NBA, I'm pretty sure of that. He won't go high because he does still need to show more handles and shooting to play the wing. BUT, one thing in his favor is he can most definitely defend NBA 3s, so that end of the floor won't be a problem. He's also showing his shot is improving, and more willingness to go off the dribble. I see bottom of the 1st as his peak spot as well, but he's likely a second rounder I'm just guessing. His athleticism will probably get him on the team though if he just shows a little piece of offensive ability to play the wing.

No i did mean undersized small forward. He is probably not 6'7" in shoes. 210 is also realtively light for sf in the nba, not that he cannot put on weight. My guess at the combine is he is 6'5" without shoes, and just 6'6" in them. Kirelenko is currently playing sf for the wolves: 6'9" 235. Last night they were playing okc, Durant is 6'9" 235 also. Their are exceptions: buddinger mostly a sf is 6'7" 218.

Top Bottom