Rochester paper kind of likes Brewster

An intelligent conversation about Gopher Football by members of the media? They should be tarred and feathered and ran out of the state. We don't tolerate that sort of level-headed journalism here.

It is a nice article. While it falls on the positive side if I was judging tone, I think they do introduce a legitimate concern about coaching vs. recruiting. The piece keeps the positive tone by not delving very deeply here.

The one idea they raise that I'm really curious about is what fans expect from this year's team and what will be construed as a disappointment. For me, a majority of my expectations for improvement come during the Big 10 schedule. I would really be disappointed with anything less than 4-4 from this year's team in the league. Before I get the requisite response that 4-4 isn't a great record, it would still be one of the five best conference seasons in the last 19 seasons, one game shy of being tied for the best conference season in the last 35 years, and would be a one game improvement on last year's record. Add to that this year's Big 10 slate looks more difficult with Penn State and Michigan State replacing Indiana and Michigan... even minus its senior receivers, Penn State on the road will be a way bigger test than Indiana, and Michigan State is more than likely going to be stronger than Michigan. In terms of the non-conference, I would really expect 3-1, with Cal being the lone loss. That puts us at 7-5 for a second straight season. Are folks disappointed that a still-young team repeated its record against a noticeably tougher schedule? Would a bowl win instead of a bowl loss allow the possibility to perceive the team as improved?

My biggest fear is this team looks competitive, looks to be improving, but finishing 6-6 or 7-5 and people are instantly turned off by the idea that the team isn't getting any better.

I think that the late season collapse (not trying to make excuses, but I think the main reasons for it were: young team and harder opponents) is the reason for some of the negativity. I mean, if before the season you told most people they would be 7-6 with a bowl game, they'd probably be happy. But it's just the way it happened that has people down. That and 55-0 probably has something to do with it. While I, on the other hand, look at a 3 point loss AT Wisconsin, where we had lost in years past by an average of about 21 points, and see progress. There is going to be more talent on the field this year, but the harder schedule may balance that out.

I really think you'll need to analyze the schedule on a game by game basis and come to a conclusion. Having some arbitrary measure will not lead to good analysis. We still only have the 7th or 8th best talent in the conference. It matters greatly who we play and where as to what a good record will look like.

We could be two and six without one bad loss. Just based on team strength there is only one game we should win, Purdue at home. One where we have better skill on the road, Northwestern. That makes that game a toss up. Three games where we are inferior on the road, OSU, PSU and painfully Iowa. Three losses. And One game where we are equal but at home Wisconsin, win. Two games where we are slightly inferior but at home, Illinois and Michigan State, split.

Four and four seems doable but a long shot. So basically 4 and 4 exceeds my expectations. Not my hopes, but my expectations. Six and two would be a huge year to me.

Six and two would be a huge year to me.

The Gophers haven't won 6 games in the Big 10 since 1973, and this even includes that run of six years in the early 80s when the conference played 9 games instead of 8. Considering how young this team is and how the conference schedule is shaping up (well-dissected Schnoods), 6-2 would be more than overachieving, (sadly) it would be historically strong for this program.

Despite doubts, I still hold to my claim that 4-4 is my expectation, 3-5 wouldn't break my heart, but 2-6, though possible, would really have me in a tough place.

I think this is another example of Brewster leaving the seven-county Metropolitan area and getting out to Rochester to promote the team. These guys are probably hearing good things from local high school coaches and that matters.

Top Bottom