"Road To 19 Wins"- From 23 Dec

17 wins could get them in and 18 would be a lock. Too many quality wins sprinkled in with their 11-12 conference wins. It'll be hard to pass on any B1G team over .500 in conference play with how strong the league is this year.

Guys, I don't mean to sound like dink, but if they can't beat Rutgers anytime they play them, they don't deserve to be in the tourney. They might be a little better this year but are still a terrible program and one that should never be lost to at this point in time.

Rutgers is a WAY better team than they were last year and are very well coached.
I expect them to be middle of the pack, 7 or 8

Penn St. will be a top 5

My comment still stands. PJ Fleck's run should have taught you that this year. Inferior team in your way? Beat them and don't have a second thought about it. Expect more. To even have to worry about a bottom of the barrel program like Rutgers is comical and sad. Lose to them either at the barn or out there, expect to catch a hard time about it.

For basketball when playing away in the B1G just who might that be, maybe Northwestern or Nebraska, thats it, none of the others are inferior and just might be superior when playing them at their building.

My comment still stands. PJ Fleck's run should have taught you that this year. Inferior team in your way? Beat them and don't have a second thought about it. Expect more. To even have to worry about a bottom of the barrel program like Rutgers is comical and sad. Lose to them either at the barn or out there, expect to catch a hard time about it.
You think Rutgers is a "bottom of the barrel" program this year?

You think Rutgers is a "bottom of the barrel" program this year?
I think they are a bottom of the barrel program at all times. I feel the same way about NWern and Penn State.

If attitudes never change, expect more of the same. These programs should be beneath us. And coaches, players, fans need to start acting like it.

Will you lose some to them? Sure. That doesn't mean they aren't garbage programs though. And it should be embarrassing when you do so.

If attitudes never change, expect more of the same. These programs should be beneath us. And coaches, players, fans need to start acting like it.

Not sure I disagree with the level of their programs and the goal of our program but how, exactly, does acting like these programs are "beneath us" help?

Rutgers is a WAY better team than they were last year and are very well coached.
I expect them to be middle of the pack, 7 or 8

Penn St. will be a top 5
Even so, let's hope the Gophers don't pull a Wisconsin! :D

Not sure I disagree with the level of their programs and the goal of our program but how, exactly, does acting like these programs are "beneath us" help?

The same way that claiming you "don't accept mediocrity" on a message board helps, which is to say it doesn't help at all.

Do you think Michigan State takes the Gophers seriously? How about Michigan? Izzo sends his scouts out, they have a look see at what we are doing. He then makes a game plan to take away anything we want to do and they beat the pants off us. If the game ends up being close, they probably run their butts off in practice and are berated for even letting a team of that ilk hang around so long.

Your team and program should always have the mentality that teams of that nature aren't fit to hold your jock. Losing to them should be mocked and ridiculed. You should always feel that you have the chance to compete at the top. The minute you start looking at those types of programs as your equal is the minute you start sinking to their level.

The same way that claiming you "don't accept mediocrity" on a message board helps, which is to say it doesn't help at all.
Not sure I have made that claim - but we do all have jobs here. Some people like is to come on here to be negative about the coach/players/program. I like to call them on it.

Do you think Michigan State takes the Gophers seriously? How about Michigan? I

Absolutely they do. Do you honestly think Izzo has gotten to where he is by going through the motions when preparing for conference games? I agree that MSU has a winners attitude, but they have that because they are well coached and don't overlook deatails when preparing. The B1G is too talented for teams to not take their opponent seriously.

Not sure I have made that claim - but we do all have jobs here. Some people like is to come on here to be negative about the coach/players/program. I like to call them on it.

I wasn't saying you've made that claim. There are just a lot of people on here who criticize others for "accepting mediocrity" and he was basically doing the same thing, so I made the reference.

I wasn't saying you've made that claim. There are just a lot of people on here who criticize others for "accepting mediocrity" and he was basically doing the same thing, so I made the reference.
Thanks for the clarification.

I like this team a lot better than I thought I would at the beginning of the season. We have a long haul to 19 wins (or even 18) with our current 7 wins and only 18 games big ten games left in the regular season. Certainly doable but how nice would have it been to have gotten the free throw shooting tonight at the FIU game (29 for 30) at one of the close Butler, Oklahoma or especially the DePaul games...

On a positive note - we are currently tied for 2nd in the big ten only one game out of 1st place.

C'mon guys - you can do this.

Updated the first page to include the last 3 game results and add the Wisconsin Home game.

With how mediocre the NCAA appears to be this season, and the strength of our non-conference schedule and the B1G, I think 16-14 (10-10) gets us into the tournament. The Gophers just need to win their home games, every road game is going to be difficult. If they get to 17-13 (11-9), I think they are firmly in the tournament.

A good coach/program tries to handle every game the same. They scout every team's strengths and weaknesses and game plan accordingly. Any coach who only cares about Michigan and Michigan State will not be a coach for long.

Also, some seem to forget that the other team has talent and coaching and motivation as well. Sometimes the other guys have a great game (even if you don't think Rutgers is ever allowed to have a good night). Sometimes a program with less historical success has a great run. Closed-mindedly claiming superiority doesn't help. Any program (especially one with limited historical success) is kidding themselves if they think they're entitled to anything.

Our team needs to approach every opponent as a threat. We need to earn it every night. If we do, we're capable of winning on any given night. If we don't, we're capable of losing on any given night.

With how mediocre the NCAA appears to be this season, and the strength of our non-conference schedule and the B1G, I think 16-14 (10-10) gets us into the tournament. The Gophers just need to win their home games, every road game is going to be difficult. If they get to 17-13 (11-9), I think they are firmly in the tournament.

They are going to have to win SOME road games, which now looking back at Purdue getting drilled and held to less than 40 pts (in Champaign) makes the Gophers loss even more painful. Last years team was brutal on the road in the Big 10 & ACC Challenge (2-9 combined). However they racked up 3 neutral wins in Vancouver, 1 at US Bank & 2 in the Big 10 Tourney. Overall their road-neutral record was 8-10, which is usually quite favorable when comparing bubble teams. 3 of the wins were against NCAA qualifiers (Washington, Wisconsin & Purdue).

Right now they are 1-5, road-neutral. Several opportunities, but lots of work to do to some how scratch out 3-4 more Ws outside of the Barn.

Last edited:

Looks about right!

Breaking down the scenarios:

We go 9-11 in BT play- we'd need to win three in the BTT to get to 18-16- really on the edge, maybe out?
We go 10-10 in BT play- we'd need to win one in the BTT to get to 17-15, 2 to get to 18-15
We go 11-9 in BT play - we could lose the first game and be at 17-14

I think that losing by what 6? on the road @Butler who is a projected one seed is actually helpful for us should we end up with 17-18 wins.

I think that losing by what 6? on the road @Butler who is a projected one seed is actually helpful for us should we end up with 17-18 wins.
Hopefully DePaul picks it up too. They beat Texas Tech after they beat us, but haven't been great since then.

Looking at the next 6 games....wow, this conference. It feels like they really need to find a way to win the next two to set up the rest of the run and play with some house money. Go 9-1 at home and steal 2 on the road. I think that's the formula

PSU home
Rutgers road
OSU road
MSU home
Illinois road
Wisconsin home

And it actually doesn't end there....
We NEED to get Willis and Gabe rolling, that's the missing element to move this team from a real good squad. In Big Ten play so far:
Gabe - 7 points per game...19% 3 point shooting
Willis - 6 points per game... 31% 3 point shooting
Those two need to be double digits and at or near 40% 3 point shooters. Oturu is going to get hit with double and triple teams the rest of the way.

Penn State win added. Would be nice to steal some road wins here with these next four games!

When was the last time we won at tOSU?

Penn State win added. Would be nice to steal some road wins here with these next four games!

When was the last time we won at tOSU?
2005 I believe. I hope OSU wins this week-end so they're not in desperation mode.

OSU has some internal issues - Washington and Muhammed got suspended. Not sure for how long.

Top Bottom