"Road To 19 Wins"- From 23 Dec

Otis

Reaction score
Ok, we are almost done with the non-conference part of the season and have had a small taste of the B1G. Here is what we have done so far:

Cleveland State - W
Oklahoma (neutral)- L
@Butler - L
Utah - L
Central Michigan - W
North Dakota - W
DePaul - L
Clemson - W
@ Iowa - L
OSU - W
Oklahoma State (neutral) - W

6-5 with the bulk of the B1G season ahead of us! Here is what we need:

Currently 10-8 (4-4)

So your saying we have a chance division: (2-4) currently (1-1)

Maryland
@ MSU - L
Michigan - W
MSU
@OSU
@PSU

Games where we won't be favored: (3-2) Current (1-1)

@ Purdue L (Double Overtime)
@ Illinois
PSU - W
@Wisconsin
@Indiana

50-50 games: (4-0) currently (0-0)

Iowa
Wisconsin
Indiana
Nebraska

We will be favored: (3-0) Current (1-1)

@ Rutgers - L
@Northwestern
Northwestern W

Must Win: (1-0) Done (1-0)

Florida International University W

That's what it would take to get to 19-10! Ouch!

Last edited:

Ok, we are almost done with the non-conference part of the season and have had a small taste of the B1G. Here is what we have done so far:

Cleveland State - W
Oklahoma (neutral)- L
@Butler - L
Utah - L
Central Michigan - W
North Dakota - W
DePaul - L
Clemson - W
@ Iowa - L
OSU - W
Oklahoma State (neutral) - W

6-5 with the bulk of the B1G season ahead of us! Here is what we need:

So your saying we have a chance division: (3-3)

Maryland
@ MSU
Michigan
MSU
@OSU
@PSU

Games where we won't be favored: (3-2)

@ Purdue
@ Illinois
PSU
@Wisconsin
@Indiana

50-50 games: (3-0)

Iowa
Indiana
Nebraska

We will be favored: (3-0)

@ Rutgers
@Northwestern
Northwestern

Must Win: (1-0)

Florida International University

That's what it would take to get to 19-10! Ouch!
Nice list but id move that home against nebraska into must win haha

To simplify this even further, we need to win out at home (9 games), and get 4 road wins. Every home loss adds another to the road wins we need to finish 19-10.

To simplify this even further, we need to win out at home (9 games), and get 4 road wins. Every home loss adds another to the road wins we need to finish 19-10.

They have 10 games at home remaining.....9 conference + FIU.

I should've looked at the original message a little closer...missing the Wisconsin home game.

Didn't you miss one game, Wisky at home?

So 18 remaining BIG games. Forget the groupings as everything has changed... Given our NET ranking, I would say 12-8 in BIG, or 18-12 overall, would get us a spot in tourney, 11-9 and 17-13 would still have a shot if we win a couple games in BIG tournament. This means, of remaining 19 games, we need to go 11-8 or 12-7 from here on out to have a punchers chance.

we will be favored against Wiskey on the road. that team is bad. watched them play 4 or so games.....NOT IMPRESSED. Bo must be extremely disappointed

With the high NET ranking of the Big Ten I don't think we get left out of the dance with a 11-9 Big Ten record. In fact I can see in some cases we could get in with a 10-10 record - right mix of wins and a week bubble. Either way if we play the rest of the season like we have the last 2 games I don't think we will be talking about if we get in, as much as what seed we get.

Daunting task, I doubt 10-10 will be good enough, hope it is because that is more doable.

11-9 in conference play would put us in great position entering the B1G tournament to receive an at large bid. Assuming we handle FIU on Saturday. Pretty much every win against a B1G team will be a Q1 or Q2 win with the exception of NW and Nebraska. We MUST go 3-0 against them. That will get us to 4 wins then we need to find 7 more somewhere. The game against Purdue is huge. That's a game we can absolutely win. We are projected to finish with a top 15 SOS, obviously some of that depends on our OOC opponents continuing to play well, but it looks like they might. If we do go 11-9, we'd be looking at 17-13 overall, no bad losses and a combination of 7/8 Q1/Q2 victories.

11-9 in conference play would put us in great position entering the B1G tournament to receive an at large bid. Assuming we handle FIU on Saturday. Pretty much every win against a B1G team will be a Q1 or Q2 win with the exception of NW and Nebraska. We MUST go 3-0 against them. That will get us to 4 wins then we need to find 7 more somewhere. The game against Purdue is huge. That's a game we can absolutely win. We are projected to finish with a top 15 SOS, obviously some of that depends on our OOC opponents continuing to play well, but it looks like they might. If we do go 11-9, we'd be looking at 17-13 overall, no bad losses and a combination of 7/8 Q1/Q2 victories.

Assuming the FIU win, wouldn't 11-9 make us 18-14 before the BTT?

Ha yes this isn’t football
Plus it is at the rack
Guys, I don't mean to sound like dink, but if they can't beat Rutgers anytime they play them, they don't deserve to be in the tourney. They might be a little better this year but are still a terrible program and one that should never be lost to at this point in time.

Guys, I don't mean to sound like dink, but if they can't beat Rutgers anytime they play them, they don't deserve to be in the tourney. They might be a little better this year but are still a terrible program and one that should never be lost to at this point in time.

If you think Rutgers is better this year, that means the Gophers having lost to an even worse Scarlet Knights team last year should have precluded them gaining an NCAA berth. In addition to Minnesota, they beat Iowa and Ohio State. All 3 Big 10 schools advanced advanced to the Round of 32.

So seton hall doesnt deserve to be in tourney?

If you think Rutgers is better this year, that means the Gophers having lost to an even worse Scarlet Knights team last year should have precluded them gaining an NCAA berth. In addition to Minnesota, they beat Iowa and Ohio State. All 3 Big 10 schools advanced advanced to the Round of 32.
As a general rule if you can't beat Rutgers, just pack it in. Obviously they are different circumstances. But hey, with how the Gophers started this season. Lose to Rutgers and you will have to pickup a win against Mich State or some power to make up for it.

As a general rule if you can't beat Rutgers, just pack it in. Obviously they are different circumstances. But hey, with how the Gophers started this season. Lose to Rutgers and you will have to pickup a win against Mich State or some power to make up for it.
saying this, you clearly do not follow college basketball closely. Rutgers, particularly at Rutgers, is a tough win to pick up. This isn't the Rutgers team of old

saying this, you clearly do not follow college basketball closely. Rutgers, particularly at Rutgers, is a tough win to pick up. This isn't the Rutgers team of old

Yep. So is Penn State. That said if you lose to them in the situation the Gophers have put themselves in so far, pack er in me boy, unless like I said you counter that with wins against the top of the league. Also, yes Rutgers is improved. They are still Rutgers though and really, they beat Seton Hall who is decent, Wisconsin who looks to be pretty bad this year + cupcakes. Congrats.

You make it sound as if that is an insurmountable task. Last year they lost to Rutgers but did not pack it in and wound up beating Purdue (Big 10 Co-Champs), twice. Heck, it may have already happened with the Ohio St win already in the Barn.

Yep. So is Penn State. That said if you lose to them in the situation the Gophers have put themselves in so far, pack er in me boy, unless like I said you counter that with wins against the top of the league. Also, yes Rutgers is improved. They are still Rutgers though and really, they beat Seton Hall who is decent, Wisconsin who looks to be pretty bad this year + cupcakes. Congrats.

Rutgers has beaten:

Wisconsin the year they made the title game.
3 teams that made the tournament last year.

Then you need to say this, more specifically, if this is what you mean. I still disagree with the statement, but it makes you seem less asinine if you're saying it may be a necessary win. Way too early to tell at this point however.

This team will do a whole lot better than 11-9.
Isn't your prediction 13-7? Is that "a whole lot" better? I'm hardly a Pitino apologist, but it feels like your bar is always high enough he can't possibly jump it.

Then you need to say this, more specifically, if this is what you mean. I still disagree with the statement, but it makes you seem less asinine if you're saying it may be a necessary win. Way too early to tell at this point however.

My comment still stands. PJ Fleck's run should have taught you that this year. Inferior team in your way? Beat them and don't have a second thought about it. Expect more. To even have to worry about a bottom of the barrel program like Rutgers is comical and sad. Lose to them either at the barn or out there, expect to catch a hard time about it.

Top Bottom