Rivalry

patrick08

Reaction score
Part of the problem with the B1G is the lack of bitter rivals with some of those teams in comparison to what we had with some WCHA teams. I think we might have one starting with Michigan.

Yeah, MI took some shots in tonight and last night with elbows, etc.

The second period of tonight's game was some serious fun.

Minnesota and Michigan have played each other more times than Minnesota has ever played any of the former WCHA teams.

They were already bitter hockey rivals and disliked each other well prior to the start of the B1G conference.

To say we might have a rivalry starting with Michigan doesn't make any sense as their has always been one for a long time if one actually knows their hockey history of the two schools.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

But right now, for the fans who are only familiar with the WCHA, Michigan hardly brings the hatred that comes to mind when somebody mentions North Dakota. It will come, but right now, to me and to many younger fans, North Dakota outranks Michigan in rival status.

It will come.

Reusse weighs in: Gophers-Michigan hockey needs some old-time passion

This weekend, Michigan and Minnesota are playing in a conference series for the first time since Jan. 23-24, 1981. For this Big Ten hockey to be palatable, the Gophers need an archrival other than Wisconsin; they need a conference foe to play the role of North Dakota.

“Absolutely, I think Michigan can be that major rival,’’ Pat Micheletti said. “They are two winning programs with a tradition of competing against each other for titles. They share a great style of play.

“I think the rivalry can heat up as soon as the first Big Ten tournament in March. Once the fans get the feeling Minnesota and Michigan are really playing for something, this thing will start to build.’’

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/245706671.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

Minnesota and Michigan have played each other more times than Minnesota has ever played any of the former WCHA teams.

They were already bitter hockey rivals and disliked each other well prior to the start of the B1G conference.

To say we might have a rivalry starting with Michigan doesn't make any sense as their has always been one for a long time if one actually knows their hockey history of the two schools.

No they have not. Minnesota has play North Dakota most times then they have with Michigan.

Here are the game plays.
Minnesota-North Dakota 291
Minnesota-Michigan 261

Heck even Minnesota and Wisconsin has play more times then Minnesota and Michigan.

I am aware of the history. Our football team has also played the University of Chicago more times than Nebraska. Just saying that the rivalries that us and Wisconsin have had with the two Michigan schools has softened over time due to frequency of play. Now that we are playing some of the WCHA schools less frequently, it would be nice to get one of these going again. Not saying Michigan can replace what we have built with UND, but the new conference would benefit from a strong newer rivalry.

The rivalry between UMn and Michigan will reignite as soon as UMn loses a significant game to the Wolverines. Right now, Minnesota is almost a lock to get into the tourney, we easily swept the Wolverines, and our most recent playoff memories are of our beating Michigan to win our 2 Natl Titles. Nothing yet to get Gopher fans fired up, or to give Michigan fans much in the way of mojo to come around puffing out their chest. We could possibly beat Michigan 2 or 3 more times before the NCAA tourney and we might even contribute to their not making it into the tourney. So their hatred of us has to be building up. All that needs to happen now is for Michigan to inflict some significant loss to the Gophers and for Michigan fans to come around wanting to rub our noses in it. If that happens, just that quickly the rivalry will be reignited.

All that needs to happen now is for Michigan to inflict some significant loss to the Gophers and for Michigan fans to come around wanting to rub our noses in it. If that happens, just that quickly the rivalry will be reignited.

or Minnesota could just go undefeated against Michigan for the next 100 years. I prefer that...

or Minnesota could just go undefeated against Michigan for the next 100 years. I prefer that...

Yeah, UMn could do that, but I'm sure they will do their part and let the inferior Ms from the east win one or two every once in awhile, just to keep the Meatchicken fans with some faint ray of hope and since it will be the best thing for the conference as a whole if we don't win the Conf Title EVERY single year.

Yeah, UMn could do that, but I'm sure they will do their part and let the inferior Ms from the east win one or two every once in awhile, just to keep the Meatchicken fans with some faint ray of hope and since it will be the best thing for the conference as a whole if we don't win the Conf Title EVERY single year.

I'd like to see us keep winning against Michigan at least until we take one from them in football.

The rivalry between UMn and Michigan will reignite as soon as UMn loses a significant game to the Wolverines. Right now, Minnesota is almost a lock to get into the tourney, we easily swept the Wolverines, and our most recent playoff memories are of our beating Michigan to win our 2 Natl Titles. Nothing yet to get Gopher fans fired up, or to give Michigan fans much in the way of mojo to come around puffing out their chest. We could possibly beat Michigan 2 or 3 more times before the NCAA tourney and we might even contribute to their not making it into the tourney. So their hatred of us has to be building up. All that needs to happen now is for Michigan to inflict some significant loss to the Gophers and for Michigan fans to come around wanting to rub our noses in it. If that happens, just that quickly the rivalry will be reignited.

all it takes is one dirty play or one big game as you mentioned and it will be back. that was a huge factor in our rivalry with them. you take one guy off on a stretcher in a tight game, it'll be back full blown. The hate is there deep down, just needs something to exacerbate it.

Top Bottom