Rick Pitino Callously Rips 'Weak' St. John's Team: 'Most Unenjoyable Experience of My Lifetime'

Reap what you sow...karma for the handling of the end of Mike Anderson's tenure. These are Pitino's players, Pitino's portal acquisitions, he ran the previous players off.

Because I’ve been coaching for this long and have accomplished this much it’s ok if I jump in the bus and run people over with it. I’ve “earned” that right.

I think much more has been made about this than it deserves. When I read the report, it sounded like an emotional rant. When I saw and heard it, it was pretty calm, and matter of fact and probably true. They are a bit slow, don't have toughness, etc. He's 71 and can pretty much say whatever he wants, and I can see him not having fun, especially if he believes his players are not working hard. Yes, he needs to take some responsibility for bringing them in, but he certainly tells the truth of many situations in the portal era that "you take who you can get" as players in that short window.

If he stays, St. John's will be much better next year on the coach's name alone. One press conference isn't going to scare guys who want the NBA away from a guy who can get them there.

I think much more has been made about this than it deserves. When I read the report, it sounded like an emotional rant. When I saw and heard it, it was pretty calm, and matter of fact and probably true. They are a bit slow, don't have toughness, etc. He's 71 and can pretty much say whatever he wants, and I can see him not having fun, especially if he believes his players are not working hard. Yes, he needs to take some responsibility for bringing them in, but he certainly tells the truth of many situations in the portal era that "you take who you can get" as players in that short window.

If he stays, St. John's will be much better next year on the coach's name alone. One press conference isn't going to scare guys who want the NBA away from a guy who can get them there.
I remember Jerry Tarkanian once being quoted talking about past teams of his that he didn't like and that were a bad experience for him in the moment. That said, I don't know if I've ever heard a coach talk about a current team in those terms.

I don’t give him a pass on these comments, certainly not because of his age (younger than me, and I wouldn’t expect to be allowed to rip my friends, co-workers, or employees just due to senior status).

IMO, Rick Pitino is a narcissist. Narcissistic parents tend to raise narcissistic kids. We got Richard.

In what way was Richard a narcissist?

In what way was Richard a narcissist?
Did you never listen to a post-game interview? Google the definition. Rick definitely fits the profile. I’m not going to write up a psychological report, just stating my opinion that the apple didn’t fall far from the tree. Could not stand the guy and I know people associated with the program who would confirm he was not well-liked. But it’s just an opinion. Maybe you have ample reason to think differently.

I did all the time...and I am just going to say I disagree with you. And everyone around here who has met him would likely say the same thing.

Say what you will about Rick Pitino (and you can say volumes), but the MF'er can coach basketball like few others in the history of the game.
If I'm Louisville, that's one of my first calls.

I know he is old and comes with baggage, but the guy can flat out coach.

If I'm Louisville, that's one of my first calls.

I know he is old and comes with baggage, but the guy can flat out coach.
That would be the ultimate big balls call by the AD after how Pitino departed the program only a few years ago.

Top Bottom