Richard Pitino Era Obituary

On Wednesday, February 26th, 2020, the Richard Pitino Era passed away with 1.9 seconds remaining in the contest against the Maryland Terrapins. After a long struggle with dismal shooting, stalled offensive possessions, defensive lapses, and depleted rosters, The Pitino era perished surrounded by shell-shocked fans, and a substandard BTN television audience.

The Richard Pitino era was born on April 3rd, 2013, in Miami, Florida, after Richard compiled an 18-14 record with the Florida International Panthers. A.D. Norwood Teague hired Richard as the successor to the recently deceased Tubby Smith Era. The Pitino Era was highlighted by an NIT championship, two NCAA tournament appearances, and one NCAA tournament win.

Richard will be remembered for his Twitter brilliance, his dry, self-deprecating humor, his honesty with the media, and his blog posts highlighting player development.

The Richard Pitino Era was proceeded in death by his professional father, Norwood, The Tubby Smith Era, the Dan Monson Era, and the casual gopher basketball fan. It is survived by A.D. Mark Coyle, the current student-athletes, and of course, the gopher basketball faithful.

A funeral service will be held at Williams Arena on Sunday, March 8th, at noon, in a matchup against Nebraska. The University Marketing Department has declared this game a “Black Out.” Professional dress is recommended. Noise should not be an issue.

In lieu of flowers, please donate to pay off the remaining $44 million Athletic Village balance.

I write really well, but I never could have done as good a job as topos did on this one!

But Coyle hired Fleck, so this point doesn't hold weight for me.
The point was Joel Maturi didn’t have a clue.
Post didn’t mention Fleck or Coyle.
Reading comprehension skills at their finest.

I mean, guy 1 says: we can’t wait on a coach, that got us Brewster.
I say: It really didn’t matter when Maturi hired a coach, he would have messed it up regardless.
You then mention a non-sequitur and say it doesn’t hold weight.

You are either Mr. or Mrs. Maturi or in elementary school.

Last edited:

If Oturo stays, then no way Pitino is gone. But I can't think of a single reason for Oturo to stay...so I expect Pitino to be gone in April when his buyout drops a few hundred K.

Really sad I like Pitino.
If they wait until April to fire him to save $200K while Belein, Smith and Co take other jobs, Coyle should be the one fired.

If Coyle follows the same plan as he did when hiring Fleck, he will do the following: after final game, announce that the coaching job is being evaluated. Then, about a week later, announce that Pitino will not return. And a week after that, press conference to name the new coach. Coyle will not move until he has the new coach locked up.

and those that think different than this are crazy. Coyle will have his guy before RP is fired....if he is fired. still not 100% convinced

Who said he was?
You did in post #32. You were making a point that any AD could make the same mistake that Maturi did with Brewster.

Given the evidence that Coyle hired Fleck, it's unlikely he'll make that mistake.

It’s time to make it all right by doing what we should have done years ago. Hire Mark Few

You did in post #32. You were making a point that any AD could make the same mistake that Maturi did with Brewster.

Given the evidence that Coyle hired Fleck, it's unlikely he'll make that mistake.

No, I said Maturi would have messed up a wet dream - and it was his poor decision making, not the timing of a hire, that lead to Brewster. No mention of Coyle or anyone outside Maturi.

Reading comprehension.

I said Maturi would have messed up a wet dream - and it was his poor decision making, not the timing of a hire, that lead to Brewster.
No reason to say this in a discussion about Coyle hiring a new coach if you weren't implicitly suggesting that Coyle could make the same mistake -- and you didn't explicitly say otherwise.

Your fault, not mine. Moving on

Holy eff.
“Joel Maturi have zero idea is also how you get Brewster.”
No reason to say this in a discussion about Coyle hiring a new coach if you weren't implicitly suggesting that Coyle could make the same mistake -- and you didn't explicitly say otherwise.

Your fault, not mine. Moving on
Holy eff.
“Joel Maturi have zero idea is also how you get Brewster.”

Sorry to go all dpo on this, but I’m not sure I’ve seen such a lack of reading comprehension and conjecture.

I don’t care if you won’t admit it or deny it, you did imply it. Your fault

What i read was a criticism of maturi nothing more nothing less
That may well be the intended idea that he wanted to convey, but his articulation of it was incomplete/poor, and that is still his fault. A more complete expression would've made explicit that he wasn't saying anything about Coyle, since it is crystal clearly a discussion about Coyle hiring a new basketball coach.

Top Bottom