Reusse Writing the Facts

No one is crying, no one is whining. People are simply responding to the unending litany of cheap shots, they way they would respond in every other market.
Why is anyone bothering to respond at all? He keeps writing these columns BECAUSE they get a response. It's a schtick, and he executes it well. And folks here jump like they are conditioned to do so the cycle repeats.

Because this is a message board and that's what we do here. When we b!tch people like you b!tch that we are b!tching.

Because this is a message board and that's what we do here. When we b!tch people like you b!tch that we are b!tching.
I get the message board thing, TO A POINT. If Reusse really bugs the hell out of everyone and they really wish he'd stop writing like this then the only thing they themselves can do is not give it oxygen. If you give it oxygen then you don't have a reason to question WHY he writes this stuff. Sorry, but you don't. Because the WHY is to get a rise out of folks like those on GH and drive attention and traffic to the work. It's not a rocket science problem.

I get the message board thing, TO A POINT. If Reusse really bugs the hell out of everyone and they really wish he'd stop writing like this then the only thing they themselves can do is not give it oxygen. If you give it oxygen then you don't have a reason to question WHY he writes this stuff. Sorry, but you don't. Because the WHY is to get a rise out of folks like those on GH and drive attention and traffic to the work. It's not a rocket science problem.

Obviously if we ignored Reusse he would simply disappear. It's not as if he is in the newspaper or on the radio.

Obviously if we ignored Reusse he would simply disappear. It's not as if he is in the newspaper or on the radio.
Not saying he'd go away. But you have only one way to help fix what you consider to be a problem. That's to ignore the man. If you choose otherwise then you're just dooming yourself to a life where bitching about something Reusse writes is constant. There is simply no point in talking about what he writes when it comes to the Gophers the vast majority of the time. I'm just pointing that out.

And to be fair, I'm only sourpuss on Pat/Souhan and any other old foogies writing for the local rags not just because they are cynical (justifiably so, they've been through much more heartbreak than I), and not because they refuse to give any answers.. but because there are bloggers now days that not only can write just as well, but they actually give answers and have -=gasp!=- SUBSTANCE to their work!!

I'll take an Emann or MVofDT over ANY local writers now days (and this includes Doogie, and I don't have anything bad to say about him).

+1

Late Entry

And to be fair, I'm only sourpuss on Pat/Souhan and any other old foogies writing for the local rags not just because they are cynical (justifiably so, they've been through much more heartbreak than I), and not because they refuse to give any answers.. but because there are bloggers now days that not only can write just as well, but they actually give answers and have -=gasp!=- SUBSTANCE to their work!!

I'll take an Emann or MVofDT over ANY local writers now days (and this includes Doogie, and I don't have anything bad to say about him).

Finally a post that cuts right to the problem with Pat/Souhan. They need to be replaced by bloggers who actually have some insight and actually give answers. This is my entry, although it may be late, for the post of the year. First prize is lunch with pat. Second prize is two lunches with pat.

Just read that piece again. While the EXACT course of action needed is not laid out step by step...the key concepts are there.

1. The University of Minnesota had success long ago.
2. The university of wisky took action to BUILD a successful program.
3. It looks VERY bad to be in the company of other programs who have
NOTcommitted to being more competetive.

I haven't read Reusse in over 10 years. He is simply not worth my time. I find it ironic that his Key Concepts are identical to what my key concepts once were for him as a writer.

1. His stories had followers and some success a long time ago,
2. Other writers take action, move to larger markets, or actually seek to write something positive on occasion,
3. It looks very bad, as a writer, NOT being COMMITTED to having a little bit more creative or giving credit in the rare instances where credit is due.

Point being is if the Reusse actually critiqued his own work / looked at his own history, he'd be writing about himself in a very similar manner and tone.

Just read that piece again. While the EXACT course of action needed is not laid out step by step...the key concepts are there.

1. The University of Minnesota had success long ago.
2. The university of wisky took action to BUILD a successful program.
3. It looks VERY bad to be in the company of other programs who have
NOTcommitted to being more competetive.

I haven't read Reusse in over 10 years. He is simply not worth my time. I find it ironic that his Key Concepts are identical to what my key concepts once were for him as a writer.

1. His stories had followers and some success a long time ago,
2. Other writers take action, move to larger markets, or actually seek to write something positive on occasion,
3. It looks very bad, as a writer, NOT being COMMITTED to having a little bit more creative or giving credit in the rare instances where credit is due.

Point being is if the Reusse actually critiqued his own work / looked at his own history, he'd be writing about himself in a very similar manner and tone.

Amen (see my earlier post).

So basically, he poked fun at Iowa for going to a "third tier bowl" in El Paso??? Having been to our bowl games in '99, '00, and '02; I can honestly say that we have been consistently out-matched in attendance. This has hurt our program as a few of our 8+ win seasons garnered the privilege of a higher bowl game. First year in the new stadium (Nov. 7th, 2009) against Illinois. For a wrinkle in time, we had momentum in our favor and representatives from New Years Day bowl games in attendance. They could have cared less about the outcome of the game; ONE LOOK AT THE STUDENT SECTION, and they might as well have left by half-time.

Nov. 6th, 1999; we beat No. 2 Penn State in Happy Valley. The next week, the program comes home with a 6-3 record (very high quality losses) to play Indiana in front of 47,852. Folks, that does not constitute a sell-out in the new stadium -- let alone about 75% of capacity in the previous stadium.

Oct. 18, 2003; we came off a loss to Michigan. The next week, the program takes a 6-1 record into the Mich State game. Awaiting a team that eventually compiles a 10-3 record are 38,778. People, that's less than 80% of capacity in the new stadium let alone a 37% drop in ticket sales from the previous week!

Signed,
Frustrated about and Embarrassed by the people of the State of Minnesota

So basically, he poked fun at Iowa for going to a "third tier bowl" in El Paso??? Having been to our bowl games in '99, '00, and '02; I can honestly say that we have been consistently out-matched in attendance. This has hurt our program as a few of our 8+ win seasons garnered the privilege of a higher bowl game. First year in the new stadium (Nov. 7th, 2009) against Illinois. For a wrinkle in time, we had momentum in our favor and representatives from New Years Day bowl games in attendance. They could have cared less about the outcome of the game; ONE LOOK AT THE STUDENT SECTION, and they might as well have left by half-time.

Nov. 6th, 1999; we beat No. 2 Penn State in Happy Valley. The next week, the program comes home with a 6-3 record (very high quality losses) to play Indiana in front of 47,852. Folks, that does not constitute a sell-out in the new stadium -- let alone about 75% of capacity in the previous stadium.

Oct. 18, 2003; we came off a loss to Michigan. The next week, the program takes a 6-1 record into the Mich State game. Awaiting a team that eventually compiles a 10-3 record are 38,778. People, that's less than 80% of capacity in the new stadium let alone a 37% drop in ticket sales from the previous week!

Signed,
Frustrated about and Embarrassed by the people of the State of Minnesota
Why? Because they don't care about football? OH NOES!!!11!!1!!!1!1

Yes!

Yes, Zambam, yes! It is not important enough here and that does frustrate me. It irritates me to no end when people compare the football and basketball programs (btw - I am afraid the hoops program is heading in the same direction as football, for similar reasons). The lack of success at our only major fb program should be UNACCEPTABLE to all four million state citizens. Unfortunately, I am concerned too many people here care more about giving up their Fall Saturdays than supporting the men of Gold Country. Secondly, there is this Ice Hockey thing ?.?.?.? Do the Gopher Hockey fans know about the growth in popularity of FIELD HOCKEY in this country? Where are the Pac-12, ACC, and SEC teams in this sport? Three games a year (NCAA semi-finals and finals) on ESPN ... and NOTHING ELSE! Went to my first Gopher Hockey game circa 1985 (as a twelve year old) and thought, "where is Indiana, Purdue, Iowa, etc." Needless to say, it didn't mean much to me since. Guess I digress.

Secondly, there is this Ice Hockey thing ?.?.?.? Do the Gopher Hockey fans know about the growth in popularity of FIELD HOCKEY in this country? Where are the Pac-12, ACC, and SEC teams in this sport? Three games a year (NCAA semi-finals and finals) on ESPN ... and NOTHING ELSE! Went to my first Gopher Hockey game circa 1985 (as a twelve year old) and thought, "where is Indiana, Purdue, Iowa, etc." Needless to say, it didn't mean much to me since. Guess I digress.

Versus, becoming NBC Sports Network, is going to carry 16 games this season beginning next week. That will certainly get promoted during their NHL broadcasts. Maybe it will get some pub during the Winter Classic.

If someone went to a game in 1993, they would have asked "where is Penn State?" (next season)

The Gophers had a couple of players from Colorado, has a kid from Missouri on the team this year, a recruit from Florida in a couple of seasons.

Future Wild Jason Zucker is from Las Vegas and currently playing for Denver. The National Junior team has players from Illinois, Maryland, California, Ohio and Nevada.

North Dakota used to be Minnesotans and Canadians...they have two players from California, one from St. Louis and one from Washington D.C.

Denver has multiple players from Iowa, kid from Arizona, several from California, Missouri, Illinois. St. Cloud State has players from Alabama, Arizona and Iowa.

Trev Alberts is the AD at Nebraska Omaha...they dropped football and wrestling so the school could focus on hockey.

Sport is growing.

I understand all those who like to bash Pat Reusse on a regular basis, but the column in question does offer insight, if you would actually read it and get past your pre-conceived notion of Mr.Reusse's motivation. It is unfortunate that many on this message board are walking around with blinders/rose-colored glasses who keep the faith that things will get better. You play right into his joy in getting a rise out of the the GHoler's. What you also to understand that Mr.Reusse's audience is the 2million+ sports fans in Minnesota who either read the sports section or listen to his radio program. I'm pretty sure he isn't worried about the 20,000 or so who closely follow the football program.

I know how bad Gopher football has been, having witnessed this team personally for the past 25+yrs, but even I was surprised by the information presented to compare the Gophers to the other B10 programs. Only Indiana and our beloved Gophers have failed to play in a New Year's bowl game over the past 14 seasons. That is ineptitude beyond the wildest imagination. All the Mason apologists should be ashamed of that performance as well. it's why I advocated that Mason had to go, because even though he was "going to bowl games" he could never get us over the top so we went to even the Capital/Outback tier bowls. Heck, even the Alamo bowl would have been a step up over the Music City/Insight tier bowls we were forever doomed to achieve. Even the current 3rd-tier programs have done better than us (Ill, NW, Purdue), having each been to a Rose Bowl, BCS or New Year's bowl on multiple occasions.

Pat's history lesson is intended to hit everyone over the head about how little the program has achieved, even in the era of parity in the NCAA. We can all talk about how things will get better, but history states that as much as we want it to happen, even the best of past 25yrs has failed to get it done. He's not saying the Gophers have failed to compete with Michigan, tOSU, PennSt, etc. He is saying that the bar is not that high and even the mildly competent programs should achieve some level of "success" as defined by bowl trips to the numerous bowls available in the past 15yrs.

Take this dose of reality for what it is. My take on this article...... it is a fact-based history lesson for the new Prez and those that don't follow Gopher football from a close perspective. It is also an early obituary for Maturi, as it is under his watch that we failed to achieve even a level on par with nearly any program in the B10.

Pat's history lesson is intended to hit everyone over the head
You got this part right, not much else, I really don't think anybody needs a dose of reality, everyone already knows how bad things are.

Yeah. If there is someone out there who DOESN'T know how bad it is at TheU, they'll never know (probably because they don't care about sports).

Despite your great post, Brewer, it doesn't excuse Peppermint Patty's 'article'.

Versus, becoming NBC Sports Network, is going to carry 16 games this season beginning next week. That will certainly get promoted during their NHL broadcasts. Maybe it will get some pub during the Winter Classic.

If someone went to a game in 1993, they would have asked "where is Penn State?" (next season)

The Gophers had a couple of players from Colorado, has a kid from Missouri on the team this year, a recruit from Florida in a couple of seasons.

Future Wild Jason Zucker is from Las Vegas and currently playing for Denver. The National Junior team has players from Illinois, Maryland, California, Ohio and Nevada.

North Dakota used to be Minnesotans and Canadians...they have two players from California, one from St. Louis and one from Washington D.C.

Denver has multiple players from Iowa, kid from Arizona, several from California, Missouri, Illinois. St. Cloud State has players from Alabama, Arizona and Iowa.

Trev Alberts is the AD at Nebraska Omaha...they dropped football and wrestling so the school could focus on hockey.

Sport is growing.

Thank you!!!!

So you don't like or follow Hockey? That's fine! But because the southern major conferences are going with field hockey/la crosse, doesn't mean we give up on a sport that's been in this state's blood for as long as this state has been around.

Thank you!!!!

So you don't like or follow Hockey? That's fine! But because the southern major conferences are going with field hockey/la crosse, doesn't mean we give up on a sport that's been in this state's blood for as long as this state has been around.
The U has lacrosse as well. Just sayin'

get past your pre-conceived notion of Mr.Reusse's motivation.

Our notions are pre-conceived because we've we've seen this crap over and over and over.

What you also to understand that Mr.Reusse's audience is the 2million+ sports fans in Minnesota who either read the sports section or listen to his radio program.

Seriously? Over 2 million people read or listen to what Reusse puts out? You do realize that the population of Minnesota is a bit over 5 million, and that you're an idiot for thinking over 1 out of 3 people follow this guy?

I know how bad Gopher football has been, having witnessed this team personally for the past 25+yrs, but even I was surprised by the information presented to compare the Gophers to the other B10 programs.

That you're surprised shows you don't pay even casual attention. We actually haven't been to a New Year's Day bowl game since 1962.

Pat's history lesson is intended to hit everyone over the head about how little the program has achieved, even in the era of parity in the NCAA.

Your biggest error is in thinking Pat has something noble in mind like giving a history lesson. One, he filled the need for a column with as little work as possible. Two, he generated a lot of reaction which is partly how he is judged in today's journalistic world. Three, he got a rise out of a specific group he enjoys agitating. You can't underestimate the psychological damage a fat kid growing up with an alcoholic mortician for a father could suffer and the need for attention getting behavior it could foster.

It is also an early obituary for Maturi, as it is under his watch that we failed to achieve even a level on par with nearly any program in the B10.

Lonely job defending Joel but I take it on. Memorial Stadium had lousy attendance in the 70's. Nebraska ran up over 80 points on us against Salem. Maturi didn't orchestrate the move to the Dome. Maturi didn't hire Salem, Gutey, and Wacker. Slimeball Lou didn't bolt for Notre Dame because of anything Maturi did or didn't do. Point is, there have been all sorts of disasters long before Maturi's watch if you want a history lesson. That doesn't excuse the Brewster hiring but you can garner some history from somebody other than Reusse.

I was listening to "Beyond the Pond" this morning when they went to commercial break. Switched over to 1500 and Reusse was talking about this latest column and provided some insight and a lot of fuel for my rant. First, he most definitely keeps track of GH. I came in when he was defending his work ethic (I think). I think he was serious when he said he got up and researched this column at 4:00 in the morning for several hours. It seemed like he was hurt by the lazy charge and isn't bright enough to see what we mean by it. I guess he thinks it isn't laziness to basically keep using the same formula and the same theme over and over and over. You sit at a desk, don't have any original thoughts, and don't have to make the effort to actually reach out and find someone to talk to.

Two other things popped out in the ten minutes or so I was listening. One, is just how personal and unprofessional this whole bit with the U really is. I hope folks realize we are now "Killees" which is what he was calling us Gopher fans who are optimistic about Kill. It was sort of a "Na ... na ... na" moment listening to a 6th grade kid trying to insult somebody. Not very clever and quite pathetic. He was setting it up so he could ridicule Killees next fall if we do get to a bowl game. After all, it'll be minor and with our schedule we should make it and we're stupid enough to be overjoyed with that even though it's so easy to get to a bowl because ... blah, blah, blah. Jackass can't or won't see that Gopher fans will take any bowl game next year, but we fully expect major bowls down the line.

The other thing tht came out is just how inbred the sports coverage is around here. These guys are all writing, on the radio or TV, and tweeting and their main audience they're trying to impress is each other. Don't know who was with Reusse but the lip-smacking on Pat's fat ass was deafening as a couple of cohorts were chuckling over his lines and offering up their own weak contributions. It wasn't that humorous or informative but they were really digging their time with the big man. It's a wonder half of these guys don't have a sixth toe or something with the inbreeding amongst them.

I keep failing to follow my own counsel and ignore the guy but I do feel better now.

I was listening to "Beyond the Pond" this morning when they went to commercial break. Switched over to 1500 and Reusse was talking about this latest column and provided some insight and a lot of fuel for my rant. First, he most definitely keeps track of GH. I came in when he was defending his work ethic (I think). I think he was serious when he said he got up and researched this column at 4:00 in the morning for several hours. It seemed like he was hurt by the lazy charge and isn't bright enough to see what we mean by it. I guess he thinks it isn't laziness to basically keep using the same formula and the same theme over and over and over. You sit at a desk, don't have any original thoughts, and don't have to make the effort to actually reach out and find someone to talk to.

Two other things popped out in the ten minutes or so I was listening. One, is just how personal and unprofessional this whole bit with the U really is. I hope folks realize we are now "Killees" which is what he was calling us Gopher fans who are optimistic about Kill. It was sort of a "Na ... na ... na" moment listening to a 6th grade kid trying to insult somebody. Not very clever and quite pathetic. He was setting it up so he could ridicule Killees next fall if we do get to a bowl game. After all, it'll be minor and with our schedule we should make it and we're stupid enough to be overjoyed with that even though it's so easy to get to a bowl because ... blah, blah, blah. Jackass can't or won't see that Gopher fans will take any bowl game next year, but we fully expect major bowls down the line.

The other thing tht came out is just how inbred the sports coverage is around here. These guys are all writing, on the radio or TV, and tweeting and their main audience they're trying to impress is each other. Don't know who was with Reusse but the lip-smacking on Pat's fat ass was deafening as a couple of cohorts were chuckling over his lines and offering up their own weak contributions. It wasn't that humorous or informative but they were really digging their time with the big man. It's a wonder half of these guys don't have a sixth toe or something with the inbreeding amongst them.

I keep failing to follow my own counsel and ignore the guy but I do feel better now.

Pathetic review. Pretty much the opposite of what was going on.

...Reusse has admitted that he writes articles like this solely for the purpose of generating a (negative) response. In other words, he writes an article, which he knows will tick off a lot of the Gopher diehards - and he does it on purpose. He wants to tick us off. And by reacting, we give him exactly what he wants.

Yeah, I like to know how many potential recruits were scared away after reading negative spin?

He may have some historical perspective. But, personally I don't read his column because he has nothing positive to say.

Pathetic review. Pretty much the opposite of what was going on.

That was pretty much the way I heard it. Tell mkAZ and the rest of us where we were wrong - if you would be so kind.

Fill us in then, enlighten us.

I'm no DL65 but here goes.

First off, his comments were all very tongue-in-cheek, obvious to anyone that was paying attention.

He mentioned that he got responses to his article on the comments section and from emails about being lazy. I did not hear him mention GH, but I'm sure he was thinking that also.

He went on about MN is the only school to lose to a 1 AA team two years in a row and mentioned 70% of bcs schools go to a bowl game, along with his other factoids that were in the article. Said is was new info that he didn't know and he had to do research to find it. All this was again done very tongue-in cheek.

He referred to 'Gopher Fans" as Killees. Big effing deal.

The jist of what he was saying is if 70% of bcs teams go to a bowl game it isn't that big of a deal and is nothing to be proud off. Going to a bowl game used to mean more.

I can't believe how thin-skinned many GHers are. Take a joke and get over yourselves.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Two other things popped out in the ten minutes or so I was listening. One, is just how personal and unprofessional this whole bit with the U really is. I hope folks realize we are now "Killees" which is what he was calling us Gopher fans who are optimistic about Kill. It was sort of a "Na ... na ... na" moment listening to a 6th grade kid trying to insult somebody. Not very clever and quite pathetic. He was setting it up so he could ridicule Killees next fall if we do get to a bowl game."

Sorry Mulligan, you are taking either yourself or Ruesse way too seriously.

Top Bottom