Reusse wants Belotti

TCF=UnitedWeStand

Reaction score
Which I can understand a little bit - Belotti did build that program from nothing.

That being said, Phil Knight and Nike may have had as much to do with it as Belotti did, and there is no Nike here.

Which I can understand a little bit - Belotti did build that program from nothing.

That being said, Phil Knight and Nike may have had as much to do with it as Belotti did, and there is no Nike here.

the free jerseys help win football games?

We'll dominate in our Michael Graves collection. I don't get the worry.

Dude is a little long in the tooth. I'd rather have someone who's going to stick around long term.

I know, I can't believe Brewster's ties to Riddell only got us white helmets...

Dude is a little long in the tooth. I'd rather have someone who's going to stick around long term.

I agree age may be disconcerting but he could stay 5 years, right the ship and groom a successor (see Chip Kelly).

Nike makes unis for a lot of teams. Seems like Knight might want a midwestern outlet for his 'combat' unis. it would make the old fogies upset, though.

Brings up and interesting question, if it would get minnesota a #1 ranking and a trip to the roe bowl, would you be happy with a Golden Gopher version of the Oregon?

Bellotti is a spring chicken compared to Bill Snyder at K-State. If he's still going at age 71, there's no reason to think Bellotti (age 60) couldn't go 7 or 8 more years. I'd take 7 or 8 years with a guy whose D-1 coaching record is 116-55 (.678).

Minnesota is a Nike school.

If fat pat wants him, then I don't.

Minnesota is a Nike school.

If fat pat wants him, then I don't.

Agreed, unless he has memorized Phil Knights credit card #'s (or has a couple of his blank checks).

Nike makes unis for a lot of teams. Seems like Knight might want a midwestern outlet for his 'combat' unis. it would make the old fogies upset, though.

Brings up and interesting question, if it would get minnesota a #1 ranking and a trip to the roe bowl, would you be happy with a Golden Gopher version of the Oregon?

Yes. Mainly because Maroon and Gold is sooo much better than the colors at Oregon.

Also, we change up our unis for every coach anyway, so why not get money from Nike to change them every year?

The ONE thing that worries me about Bellotti is his coaching in the 2003 Sun Bowl. Seriously, that time out after the loss of yardage late in the game was befuddling.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ihyYbcXpdhw?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ihyYbcXpdhw?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

It actually was Rich Brooks

Who put Oregon on the map. He was so respected he got the NFL gig. Now at Kentucky. Belloti took the reins and did wonders. It takes about 7 good years for a program to blossom. Their is no rebuilding allowed. You must hit the ground running, and be more than competitive in the first year. Say 8-3. It can be done.

I think what the OP was getting at is the fact that Nike has pumped literally hundreds of millions of dollars into Oregon athletics due to Phil Knight being a Portland, Ore native and a graduate of the U of O, which has a lot to do with where they're at today and which is something that's obviously not going to be happening here. Brooks and Bellotti rebuilt it, but they did so with the incredible opportunities that Nike's generosity afforded them.

Who put Oregon on the map. He was so respected he got the NFL gig. Now at Kentucky. Belloti took the reins and did wonders. It takes about 7 good years for a program to blossom. Their is no rebuilding allowed. You must hit the ground running, and be more than competitive in the first year. Say 8-3. It can be done.

Joker Phillips is the head coach at Kentucky.

I think Belotti is my #1 choice. If we want a guy with that kind of track record, I think he might be the most realistic, mostly because of his age. He can't sit around and wait for Harbaugh to move on or for RichRod to get fired next year or the year after. If he wants to coach, he has to go somewhere soon, and he might not get a chance at a top 10 program.

And his age doesn't bother me. If he lasts 5-7 years and does enough to prove to other coaches that you can win here, that's better than anybody else has done in 40 years.

60 is the new 50...I'd rather a very good coach for 10 years who can build some tradition and then hand it off to an assistant than hire a young, up and comer who will bolt for "greener" pastures.

I'm not talking about uniforms. I'm talking about weight rooms, offices, practice facilities, and everything else Nike has helped refurbish for Oregon over the years - we don't have a cash cow waiting for us to say, "tell me what you need".

that's all.

He's a solid choice and I put him right behind Mark Richt. His age is a small concern, but he's only a couple years older then Tubby. (Granted Tubby's in his 4th year now, but I think we'd still hire him if the job were open today.) Phil Knight's $$ certainly helped, but to say that's what deserves the credit for making Oregon what it is today is short-sighted. The man can coach.

Bellotti (and Richt) really is a close to a 'Tubby Smith' hire as we're going to get. I don't think the U Admin will have the guts to go after Leach.

You heard it wrong. Reusse wants Bertolli.
462271257_563da9af29.jpg

Bellotti is my guy too. Look at what Brooks and Holtz did for Kentucky and South Carolina respectively. We need to bring respect to the program. Give Bellotti the keys. He'll force Maturi and the administration to put the required commitment forward to win big and will have the credibility to call them out when it's not happening. The media will listen to him and he'll be the power coach Mason tried to become.

Furthermore, he'll attract the best QB/WR and DB/LB coaches to apply to be his coordinators knowing there's a good chance to be the next HC in 5-6 years because the program should be clicking again.

The ONE thing that worries me about Bellotti is his coaching in the 2003 Sun Bowl. Seriously, that time out after the loss of yardage late in the game was befuddling.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ihyYbcXpdhw?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ihyYbcXpdhw?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

And the video begins with a replay of the win over Wisconsin.

Beautiful... simply beautiful. Remember when we used to win games over decent teams? Man...

Oh yeah, we were talking about Belotti.

I'd prefer someone younger but Bellotti would bring in good people around him and he would likely leave the program in good shape. Bellotti's coaching tree includes: Chip Kelly (Oregon), Chris Peterson (Boise St.), Jeff Tedford (Cal) and Dirk Koetter (Jax Jags OC, 4 bowls in 6 yrs @ ASU).

Top Bottom