Reusse Tweets-Security Guard Gate?

akgopher

Reaction score
Maybe we started something. Haha, mainstream picks up the story.

1500ESPN_Reusse Patrick Reusse
It looks bad for security guard at TCF Bank, but maybe motivation was to avoid embarrassment of storming field after victory over bad team.

Atta boy, Reusse. Never give the Gophers an ounce of credit for anything. No one has said that Iowa is a title contender, but calling them "bad"? Give me a f'in break.

Patti is still smarting from being bullied on the playground as a lad and likes to take on his frustrations on others.

College football fans are excited about winning a rivalry game. Reusse thinks that they should not be excited. Does he not get college football at all?

If that win had come against Illinois or MSU - I doubt the students rush the field. But it was Iowa...everybody wearing maroon & gold in the stadium knows what it means to beat Iowa. Rivalry game. Floyd. 55-0. 2002. Rushing the field made total sense - it was fun to see the fans celebrating with the players.

1. Iowa was 5-2 coming into the game
2. It was a rivalry game

I've never seen a sports media market more concerned about how many opposing fans attended the game, how many empty seats there were and whether or not the team or fans over celebrated.

Surprisingly enough, Barreiro was OK with the field-storming, as well as fairly impressed overall during his show this morning. I'm not sure I've heard him this positive, Gopher-related or otherwise.

You are 1-6 playing a rivalry game in which no one gives you a chance. You are down 11 in the 4th quarter and pull off the comeback. It was a beautiful day on Halloween weekend. That to me is a recipe for a field storm.

Has Doogie ever given us his thoughts on Reusse's endless Gopher vitriol? I'd be curious to get an opinion from someone that works with Patrick.

Has Doogie ever given us his thoughts on Reusse's endless Gopher vitriol? I'd be curious to get an opinion from someone that works with Patrick.

Are your kidding us? Reusse is a hero to every young guy who dreams about spending their entire life getting paid to watch, write, and talk about sports without having having to work an honest day in their lives.

Who listens to PR anyway? Even Sid knows more about sports then he does.

Are your kidding us? Reusse is a hero to every young guy who dreams about spending their entire life getting paid to watch, write, and talk about sports without having having to work an honest day in their lives.

I get it. I will also go on record as stating that I think Reusse is a good writer, but something about Gopher football really pisses in his cornflakes.

I wonder what deserves more ridicule
MN fans on field beating an average at best Iowa team

or
OSU fans (after numerous BCS Bowls and championships) on field after beating #15 team in nation

in my opinion OSU

I get it. I will also go on record as stating that I think Reusse is a good writer, but something about Gopher football really pisses in his cornflakes.

People without college degrees often hate colleges, college grads, and college sports.

1. Iowa was 5-2 coming into the game
2. It was a rivalry game

I've never seen a sports media market more concerned about how many opposing fans attended the game, how many empty seats there were and whether or not the team or fans over celebrated.

You are so right. The media prefers to state the negative and loves to make iowa or sconnie fans and now nebraska fans to be the greatest ever. Ray Hitchcock was on KFAN after the Nebraska game and talked about BA's book (the only sconnie I could stomach). BA evidently talked on how to change the culture of losing football program in his book. He said the culture needs to change on every level from the parking lot person to the ticket taker to the fans, the media, players and coaches. The students need to show to support for their school as well as alumni and business leaders.

Folks forget about it, but he once wrote a column about women's basketball and really ridiculed them. I remember a reference to shooting standing jump shots. He was being his usual smart-ass self, but he really stirred up a hornet's nest. I don't know how close they came, but some big money female backers of the U were trying to get him fired. I suspect they came close because the tough, old newspaperman really backtracked. That episode still grates him and some of this constant crap comes from that.

Do any of these guys realize that the fans come onto the field after every game at Kinnick Stadium, regardless of the opponent? It really is not that big of deal.

Once you get to know him, you find out quickly that he's a teddy bear. He does so much for so many people. Those who work closest with him swear by him. You will struggle to find anyone who has worked with him over the last 40+ years to say a bad word.

I think some of his vitriol toward the Gophers is aimed at getting a rise out of this board, and GI.

Once you get to know him, you find out quickly that he's a teddy bear. He does so much for so many people. Those who work closest with him swear by him. You will struggle to find anyone who has worked with him over the last 40+ years to say a bad word.

I think some of his vitriol toward the Gophers is aimed at getting a rise out of this board, and GI.

That's what they said about Hitler.

So how does that make him less of an asshole instead of more of one?

Oh, he has a self serving reason for doing it, it's okay now. It's all good.

I'd say the reasons we think he's a jerk are concrete and documented. His reasons for slamming the gophs (and the fans) are childish.

Any accurate description of an asshole usually includes some discussion about how that asshole is different if you really get to know him.

I suggest you choose your role models a little more carefully, Doogie. The guy is widely hated and distrusted by the folks he covers as well as the folks he wants to read his columns. He writes for a second-rate newspaper and has a radio show on a second-rate network. The Twin Cities media are seen as a joke nationally, and Reusse is part of the reason. I have lived away from Minneapolis for a while now, and anyone who visits laughs about the news outlets. Anyone who ventures out of the cities, of course, mentions the quality of the other cities' news outlets.

To be honest, I like these threads because they reinforce for me how little I care about him. He has actually turned me off to the point that I don't bother reading anything he writes...not because I hate him, but because I already know what he is going to say. That, in my mind, is the mark of a bad writer.

Folks forget about it, but he once wrote a column about women's basketball and really ridiculed them. I remember a reference to shooting standing jump shots. He was being his usual smart-ass self, but he really stirred up a hornet's nest. I don't know how close they came, but some big money female backers of the U were trying to get him fired. I suspect they came close because the tough, old newspaperman really backtracked. That episode still grates him and some of this constant crap comes from that.

I think the phrase was "tip-toed ball throwing". I thought it was a funny phrase, but to each his own.

I think the phrase was "tip-toed ball throwing". I thought it was a funny phrase, but to each his own.

Thanks. Oh, I thought it was good too, but I think it was when Voelz was at the height of her power and poor Pat's timing wasn't too good. His basic nature is to agitate but this is personal. I've noticed over the years, especially on the radio, how many of his judgments about individuals and teams are based on how he is treated by them.

I thought the tip-toed ball throwing line was about HS Girls basketball.

I'd be upset too if a giant picture of me was hanging in men's rooms at TCF Bank Stadium.

Im sorry Doogie, but in this case you are a joke. Of course you are going to say that, you are trying to get into the twin cities sports scene any way you can, and appearing to supporting a heavy hitter like Pat is your avenue in this case. Please remain silent next time, its apparent Pat has an agenda against the U. Your a biased opinion in this matter, dont even try and act like your word is more true in this matters than the many others. Please, focus on other topics, this one is not yours to hash, unless you drop your career minded agenda of course.

And here I thought that the job of a sportswriter was to inform people. If only I had known that the job of a sportswriter was to take cheapshots.

In Reusse's world, fans should be sitting on their hands after winning Floyd. I don't want to live in Reusse's world. I'll take the one where even though the team has only won two games and they are fired up enough to storm the field after beating a rival. Someday he'll be gone, and college football fans will still be here.

Top Bottom