Reusse: This is not the golden era of Golden Gophers football, despite P.J. Fleck's claim

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Pat:

On Fleck's amazement meter, winning 11 of 13 games apparently beats those pairs of back-to-back 8-0 seasons in 1934-35 and 1940-41 and national championships for the Bierman Boys.

The issue with mixing history and the era of 12- and 13-game schedules is this:

The Gophers played schedules of eight games or fewer from 1906 through 1941, nine-game regular seasons from 1942 to 1964, and 10-game schedules from 1965 to 1970.

Tough to get to 11.

Maybe what's causing P.J. to float his own boat is that a victory over so-so Syracuse in Yankee Stadium on Dec. 29 would give him four straight bowl wins. In Fleck-land, we should appreciate those more than reaching back-to-back Rose Bowls (1-1) after the 1960 and 1961 seasons.

Go Gophers!!

Per Pat:

On Fleck's amazement meter, winning 11 of 13 games apparently beats those pairs of back-to-back 8-0 seasons in 1934-35 and 1940-41 and national championships for the Bierman Boys.

The issue with mixing history and the era of 12- and 13-game schedules is this:

The Gophers played schedules of eight games or fewer from 1906 through 1941, nine-game regular seasons from 1942 to 1964, and 10-game schedules from 1965 to 1970.

Tough to get to 11.

Maybe what's causing P.J. to float his own boat is that a victory over so-so Syracuse in Yankee Stadium on Dec. 29 would give him four straight bowl wins. In Fleck-land, we should appreciate those more than reaching back-to-back Rose Bowls (1-1) after the 1960 and 1961 seasons.

Go Gophers!!
Let's try this just one time with Reusse: Nobody reply to this thread or click on the link. Let's just try it.

Patrick is correct about part of it. All the reflexive moronic references the the first X game season since... Y... or ever!

Lazy commentary by the TV talking heads. This BS all started for the Gophers back in 2004 after the 2003 Sun Bowl when much was made of the 10 win Mason team, as though those 10 wins meant more than the Bernie B. teams accomplishments.

All the bowl game BS record comments too, considering the Big Ten sent no other teams to a bowl before 1974 or so, other than #1.

I used to hate this but.....

Maybe I still hate this crap, but change is inevitable and comparing things from different eras with a rigid or self righteous slant is not a good aproach.

Did Fleck really say this is the Golden Era of Gopher football? Because no where in the article does Ruesse quote fleck on this statement. In fact, only the article title has the word Golden, not once, but twice.

So Ruesse writes a title, and doesn’t back it up in the article. He’s bush league, I tells ya, Bush League! And a very Golden Error at best.

Okay, if someone can link to a quote by Fleck about this being the golden era of Gopher football, I’ll temper my tone a bit.

But really, Pat’s just pissed that he bought into the Gophers after the Michigan State game, and then of course Fleck blew it. To Pat it felt like PJ threw raw egg all over his face. And of course Pat couldn’t have that young whipper snapper laughing at him, so he stewed about it for weeks. And then out of the blue, PJ was given an undeserved raise, which boiled Pat’s blood. But that anger did get the ol’ scribes juices flowing. Ah, to have the power of the pen working again to target his ire, all to quench the pain of a self inflicted embarrassment.

Reusse lies in his articles. Makes-up quotes.

Sid's stories are actually true. Sid actually knew people and was an insider. Reusse just sits at the bar and makes-up stories.

Reusse lies in his articles. Makes-up quotes.

Sid's stories are actually true. Sid actually knew people and was an insider. Reusse just sits at the bar and makes-up stories.
Not the bar anymore. Perhaps the buffet though.

Given where we are likely to end up...beating a comparable Syracuse team in New York City (cue the Pace picante sauce cowboys...), this is more vintage Patrick's writing style and about the right assessment.

No matter how many division or conference titles we win from here on out under Coach Fleck and his successors...or even an NC or two :p...the 2022 season will go down as a lost opportunity.

The question is...

1670682877128.png The answer is... 1670682934517.png
Ski U Mah! Beat The Orange!

Last edited:

So Reusse writes a title, and doesn’t back it up in the article. He’s bush league, I tells ya, Bush League! And a very Golden Error at best.

Yeah, happens around here once and awhile too. :)

Second sentence is very true. The first sentence? Sid use to lie about and "edit" stories all the time. Usually to boost and protect his friends. Mostly to protect his sources. On that roundtable show he did with Dark Star, he admitted it more than once. Knew somebody that dealt with Sid often. He would laugh when he heard how Sid described the things they talked about.

Lie about something to make them look worse or lie about something to make people look better and maintain your sources? They're both lying. Maybe the later is a little more noble.

Maybe.

Usually the article writers don’t write the headlines. Usually the headline is written by the editor.

The tired cliche of he’s a fat alcoholic is so old. He may be overweight but he has been sober for something like 40 years. If you want to combat his stance why not use facts and logic as opposed to cheap personal shots.

I wonder how the startribune feels about a paid article being copy and pasted for free on a website. Seems a little like theft.

Fleck never said that.

Clickbait!
Cannot find the article but what he did say was something like he and his program have accomplishments that have not been seen in the 115 year history of Golden Gopher football. I stand corrected if I am wrong but it is what I recall I read.

Cannot find the article but what he did say was something like he and his program have accomplishments that have not been seen in the 115 year history of Golden Gopher football. I stand corrected if I am wrong but it is what I recall I read.

Just did a search and your memory is correct.

"“This is all about cultural sustainability,” said Fleck. “We have talked about that from day one, and this new contract is a commitment to continuing to change our best academically, athletically, socially and spiritually. It is also a commitment to our elite staff and our tremendous fans. During the last six years, we have been able to do some amazing things at Minnesota, some of which have not been accomplished in more than 115 years. It is a tremendous honor to lead this football program, and our goal is to compete for championships every year."

Though Fleck could be talking about this:

Off the field, Fleck’s program has posted record GPAs and continually gives back to the community by hosting diaper drives, turkey drives, a school supply drive and a canned food drive. Fleck and the team also have a strong philanthropic connection to M Health Fairview Masonic Children’s Hospital.

Just did a search and your memory is correct.

"“This is all about cultural sustainability,” said Fleck. “We have talked about that from day one, and this new contract is a commitment to continuing to change our best academically, athletically, socially and spiritually. It is also a commitment to our elite staff and our tremendous fans. During the last six years, we have been able to do some amazing things at Minnesota, some of which have not been accomplished in more than 115 years. It is a tremendous honor to lead this football program, and our goal is to compete for championships every year."

Though Fleck could be talking about this:

Off the field, Fleck’s program has posted record GPAs and continually gives back to the community by hosting diaper drives, turkey drives, a school supply drive and a canned food drive. Fleck and the team also have a strong philanthropic connection to M Health Fairview Masonic Children’s Hospital.

I agree with Uncle Pat on this one. The 115 year reference is all about self promotion. I like PJ overall, but he would have more credibility if he would honor and acknowledge the Rose Bowl teams from the 60s. He runs a clean program that we can be proud of and can still claim he is doing things not done in 50 years, although a win against Iowa sure would be nice. It should be the main motivator to build the program and get to the Rose Bowl again, which you don’t even have to win the B10 to achieve any longer with the CFB playoff. If he ever gets to Pasadena, everyone would be in the boat and ready to build the statue.

Gopher fans who have been alive for the last 40 years, realize how good we have it right now. Still, in a town starved for a championship of any kind in a nationally recognized male sport, it is easy to attack Fleck for not producing. It gets clicks and there is enough people that are ignorant of our history to jump on board on this type of junky message. They think supporting Fleck is supporting being in the middle. The best thing we can do as fans is support the program as much as we can. Getting an Urban Meyer type (Flickell, Harbaugh, any big name coach) isn't happening here. Our best chance of being nationally relevant is in the path that Iowa and WI have (support a coach who shows results and grow with him). Support a solid coach who can create a champion. I think our current staff can get us there and if Athan is the gunslinger I think he can be, we may actually get there soon. These last few years we were one QB away from winning it all.

Usually the article writers don’t write the headlines. Usually the headline is written by the editor.

The tired cliche of he’s a fat alcoholic is so old. He may be overweight but he has been sober for something like 40 years. If you want to combat his stance why not use facts and logic as opposed to cheap personal shots.

I wonder how the startribune feels about a paid article being copy and pasted for free on a website. Seems a little like theft.
I had no idea Pat's mom was still with us.....

PJ shat the bed this year then gets a $1 million raise. He’s fair game for stuff like Pat’s writing here.

If Pat is frustrated with the raise, his angst and frustration should be with the UM administration, not Fleck.

Stupid take that Fleck "shat the bed". Just plain dumb. It wasn't PJ who fumbled inside the redzone and missed a few crucial FG's. Other than that, you're really knocking it out of the park today

Pat has a point. Coyle, Maturi 2.0, has set the bar so low that a 7-5 season and a trip to the Detroit Toilet Bowl is a huge success. The new BTN TV contract will make all BIG schools super rich. Spend some of it like NE and WI just did! Start by firing Coyle and hire a Barry Alvarez type take no prisoners AD. Then get serious, like WI & NE, and hire a coach with a track record that can legitimately battle for the BIG's West Division's crown. Spend some of the new found wealth to move this program to the top of the heap!!

Pat has a point. Coyle, Maturi 2.0, has set the bar so low that a 7-5 season and a trip to the Detroit Toilet Bowl is a huge success. The new BTN TV contract will make all BIG schools super rich. Spend some of it like NE and WI just did! Start by firing Coyle and hire a Barry Alvarez type take no prisoners AD. Then get serious, like WI & NE, and hire a coach with a track record that can legitimately battle for the BIG's West Division's crown. Spend some of the new found wealth to move this program to the top of the heap!!

The amount wrong in this post is amazing. Bravo it takes talent to be this wrong...

The amount wrong in this post is amazing. Bravo it takes talent to be this wrong...

Come on Dave! Be fair. It's his first post. He got the Toilet Bowl and Maturi cliches in early. Managed to wait and get NE & WI and his hero Barry Alvarez's name until the middle of the post. Though missed Barry's dalliance with a coed and Nebraska needing to fire two guys because of misconduct before they hired Matt Ruhle.

What a remarkable example of self-restraint.

Last edited:

He’s a columnist not a reporter. It’s story telling. He just leaves 60 years out of the story.

Is there one actual quote from PJ stating the on-field accomplishments are BETTER or SUPERIOR to any Gopher national championship team? I have never heard him state anything close to that.

Of course there's things happening that haven't happened in 50 or 100 years...there's more games. The accomplishments that are being stated are true, that doesn't take away from anything historical. To not promote the University and the program would be the bigger issue IMO.

Is there one actual quote from PJ stating the on-field accomplishments are BETTER or SUPERIOR to any Gopher national championship team? I have never heard him state anything close to that.

Of course there's things happening that haven't happened in 50 or 100 years...there's more games. The accomplishments that are being stated are true, that doesn't take away from anything historical. To not promote the University and the program would be the bigger issue IMO.

Only sort of. Check post#15. :

"“This is all about cultural sustainability,” said Fleck. “We have talked about that from day one, and this new contract is a commitment to continuing to change our best academically, athletically, socially and spiritually. It is also a commitment to our elite staff and our tremendous fans. During the last six years, we have been able to do some amazing things at Minnesota, some of which have not been accomplished in more than 115 years."

Come on Dave! Be fair. It's his first post. He got the Toilet Bowl and Maturi cliches in early. Managed to wait and get NE & WI and his hero Barry Alvarez's name until the middle of the post. Though missed Barry's dalliance with a coed and Nebraska needing to fire two guys because of misconduct before they hired Matt Ruhle.

What a remarkable example of self-restraint.

It's so damn simple, a child could figure it out. Spend more money, win more games. Why hasn't anyone else thought of this up until now?

That don’t sound much like a Golden Gopher fan to me.

Top Bottom