Reusse: Maybe with his salary, Gophers' Kill can buy some thicker skin

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Pat:

Jerry Kill is another coach who feels as if he should be swathed in millions of dollars and never questioned over his decisions while earning that salary.

Kill’s thin-skinned behavior as Gophers coach over the past week has not come in the form of a raging outburst, but rather sophomoric utterings from another coach who feels as if he should be swathed in millions of dollars and never questioned over his decisions while earning that ransom.

That is the proper term — ransom — in Kill’s case. He received a new multiyear contract with a $900,000 annual raise in February 2014, and after a modestly successful season, he worked university President Eric Kaler for another one.

Kill’s perception of himself when it comes to importance was evident last Saturday, in the wake of the embarrassing 10-7 victory over Kent State.

Questioned about the booing of the offense, Kill said: “Maybe I need to get fired tomorrow. I don’t know. We don’t have an AD, so I can’t get fired tomorrow …”

http://www.startribune.com/maybe-with-his-salary-jerry-kill-can-buy-some-thicker-skin/329612491/

Go Gophers!!

He's right, kill was acting like a pouty child for most of last week, especially after the game. He F'd up the QB position, and for that, he will have to fight hard to make a bowl game this year. Like PR said, he better get some thicker skin, cause it's not going to be a pretty season with these clowns he's recruited to play qB.

He's right, kill was acting like a pouty child for most of last week, especially after the game. He F'd up the QB position, and for that, he will have to fight hard to make a bowl game this year. Like PR said, he better get some thicker skin, cause it's not going to be a pretty season with these clowns he's recruited to play qB.
Agreed. Jerry gets butthurt quite easily. For the most part the state rallied behind him and had his back when he needed them the most. Sorry, but expectations have increased from when you got here. If you're struggling at a double digit favorite at home, expect the fans to be less than satisfied.

Sonny

Ultimately, the lack of quality QB's who can throw the football rests on Coach Kill, just as not recruiting enough quality defensive players was the bane of Glen Mason. If you combined Mason's offense with Kill's defense you would have a strong contender. I have been surprised they have not gone harder for QB's who can throw the football because it's so important and he had to have known Shortell, Leidner, Streveler etc. weren't Big Ten caliber passers. I really like Coach Kill and I like Mitch Leidner. I really hope he can turn it around and have a good game tomorrow, but I am major concerned as are most other Gopher fans.

Regardless, I sure hope Kill recruits at least 2-3 QB's who can throw the football in his next class because we can sure use it. Actually, we could have used that about 3-4 years ago!!!

Agree 100%

What an interesting statement: "perception of himself when it comes to importance." Maybe with his salary this author could do something good in this community, or be accurate in provide fair and impartial coverage to a 2-1 team, whose only loss is to the #2 team. Presenting his muck-raking opinions as "facts" or "evidence" clearly shows the author's opinion of his importance is misguided. Thousands of people could do this author's job better, few if any could do Kill's. Disgusting media outlet.

It's an opinion column. Reusse - just like anyone on this board - has a right to his opinion. You have a right to disagree. Reusse may use some hyperbole in his writing, but there is a germ of truth in what he says. Kill has not handled the situation as well as he could have.

What an interesting statement: "perception of himself when it comes to importance." Maybe with his salary this author could do something good in this community, or be accurate in provide fair and impartial coverage to a 2-1 team, whose only loss is to the #2 team. Presenting his muck-raking opinions as "facts" or "evidence" clearly shows the author's opinion of his importance is misguided. Thousands of people could do this author's job better, few if any could do Kill's. Disgusting media outlet.

Really dumb. It's an opinion piece and he's pretty much spot on.

If Reusse had any thicker skin, he couldn't fit into a car. #opinionpiece

What Jerry Kill did this week has worked and this is another example. Reusse writes a column about Kill instead of Leidner or other players.

Reusee is right. Kill's words were childish. And the writer who put words in Tyrus Jones' mouth certainly recognizes childish.

Occurred to me that over Coach's career it's about last year where he and his coaches have been tapped to the next level.

Not making an excuse but just noting that in terms of his own career development he's operating somewhat in new territory.

My baseline for him in front of the media and public still remains the hour+ Tuesday conference after his first Michigan game...where the performance was abysmal (50+ to nothing)...where he laid out exactly what was needed to get to where we are now.

Obviously not quite there yet. I think Coach has some growth of his own to do under the even bigger lights.

As for me I'm taking his advice and as long as we end up with one more point than the other guy we're okay. Do that today and 8 more times and all this will be a laugher where we say..."Remember when Coach Kill said he should be fired..."

Let's watch some football!

The media is writing stories on Jerry and discussing his actions after last game. Not the kids. Mission accomplished.

Maybe fat pat should learn how to become a sports writer. I have no idea what his article says, because I NEVER read his worthless dribble.

Agree.

However, still don't like PR. If he's got guts why not call out and condemn his fellow writer Jim Souhan in public. I guess some things best left behind closed doors... when you're a writer.

The media is writing stories on Jerry and discussing his actions after last game. Not the kids. Mission accomplished.

I quit reading his BS weeks ago. Hard to believe he has any one reading is stuff. His only good articles are about things that happened 40 years ago. You never see him at the games. At least Sid is there even if he is a real homer. Plus he is only 95 years old and put more effort in to his writing than fat Pat. Time for Pat to go back to Fulda and write for the local weekly paper. They probably wouldn't hire him. They would probably want a more up beat writer.

Go Gophers

Got to agree with him on this. To bad all his cheap shots ruin his credibility when he writes something accurate. See he took a shot at Pitino getting the Coffey commit this week. Reusse criticizing Kill for making sophomoric remarks is the pot calling the kettle black.

If Mason had this defense we would be 4-0 going into conference play. Here would have been the
scores.
Gophers 35 TCU 20
Gophers 48 Colorado State 17
Gophers 52. Kent State 7
Gophers 38 Bobcats 13
Mason knew how to run the football, but they couldn't stop anybody. To me, our OL looks slow and overweight. Browning was a very good OC, and whether you liked him or not, Gordon Shaw was a great OL coach. In regards to Reusse, it's just stirring the pot based on Kill's comments. He's famous for tongue in cheek columns.

If Mason had this defense we would be 4-0 going into conference play. Here would have been the
scores.
Gophers 35 TCU 20
Gophers 48 Colorado State 17
Gophers 52. Kent State 7
Gophers 38 Bobcats 13
Mason knew how to run the football, but they couldn't stop anybody. To me, our OL looks slow and overweight. Browning was a very good OC, and whether you liked him or not, Gordon Shaw was a great OL coach. In regards to Reusse, it's just stirring the pot based on Kill's comments. He's famous for tongue in cheek columns.

Wrong

Maybe fat pat should learn how to become a sports writer. I have no idea what his article says, because I NEVER read his worthless dribble.

This may be the definition of prejudice.

Jerry needs to wear big boy pants. Jim Wacker won four national championships before coaching the Gophers. Success at lower levels does not assure success at higher ones. Let us in on the plan Jerry, or at least show us the progress. Last week, the team underperformed and you acted like we were Thomas asking to see the holes in your hands.

Even Jesus had some tantrums.

Success at lower levels does not assure success at higher ones. Let us in on the plan Jerry, or at least show us the progress.

2-6
2-6
4-4
5-3

3-9
6-7
8-5
8-5

6th place
5th place
4th place
2nd place

46,637 attendance
53,485 in 2015

0 NFL draft picks

0 1st team all Big Ten

0 2nd team all Big Ten

This may be the definition of prejudice.

Jerry needs to wear big boy pants. Jim Wacker won four national championships before coaching the Gophers. Success at lower levels does not assure success at higher ones. Let us in on the plan Jerry, or at least show us the progress. Last week, the team underperformed and you acted like we were Thomas asking to see the holes in your hands.

Even Jesus had some tantrums.
Most Kill dissenters couldn't wear his pants.
Kill is a good man, but not Jesus.
Jesus didn't throw tantrums.
The pathetic author in the strib cesspool is a friend of Satan.

Top Bottom