Reusse: I say fire Pitino. Then bring him back a month later and call it a fresh start. Because I don't think it makes any difference.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Pat:

I say fire Pitino. Then bring him back a month later and call it a fresh start.

Because I don't think it makes any difference.

This has been Gophers basketball for the first one-fifth of the 21st century, and this is what it's destined to be … subpar some winters, above par the next, just another option in a crowded sports market, because Bobby Jackson and his hard-nosed like won't be bouncing back up those steps for fierce combat on real hardwood any time soon.

Go Gophers!!

I actually thought it was a fluff piece. He gave Richard a pass on his Big Ten record. Many if not most on this board are harder on Little Richard.

He mailed this one in. He was on Mackey and Judd the other day and said he was going to write a Pitino column but couldn't come up with anything. Should have scrapped it.

He's not wrong about the attendance /support issue, but the cure is winning, preferably while keeping some of the local talent. A new coach is our best chance at that.

God, he's getting lazier and lazier. When he has to fill up space now, more often than not he puts in shit about himself that says nothing and provides no insight; but he has gotten another column. The hell of it is that there are a bunch of young writers that are really good out there, but are struggling to get readers for their blogs or are working for peanuts on alternative pay sites.

Pat, just poking the bear to see if there is any reaction. It made me laugh.

He's increasingly irrelevant. Less insightful and more arrogant as time passes.

The point of the column is that this is what "Gopher Basketball" is now, and if people think changing coaches will make some magical difference, they're mistaken. And I can't really argue with that. Do people believe that New Coach X is going to walk into Williams and the Gophs are suddenly going to turn into a powerhouse?

The point of the column is that this is what "Gopher Basketball" is now, and if people think changing coaches will make some magical difference, they're mistaken. And I can't really argue with that. Do people believe that New Coach X is going to walk into Williams and the Gophs are suddenly going to turn into a powerhouse?
What do you call suddenly? Clem had the Gophers in the Sweet 16 in year 3. The right hire, and yes, that kind of thing will occur.

There's a chance. Was it likely with Fleck? No. But it was clearly unlikely with Claeys. With Pitino there's no chance of that, which is why it's time to move on.

Gopherhole has a lot of hate for Pat, I actually like Reusse.

His point is that gopher basketball has reached the ultimate peak of mediocrity and perennial underperformance. It is him saying right now the situation is so hopeless, it’s not even worth taking a shot at Pitino.

This is the most irrelevant gopher basketball has ever been. A friend who had season tickets with me when we were in college texted me today and asked how gopher basketball is this year. The “average” fan is completely checked out and knows there is truly “nothing to see here”.

We desperately need to energize this program any way that we can.

I believe the right coach can breathe life into this program and bring the barn alive again.

Gopherhole has a lot of hate for Pat, I actually like Reusse.

His point is that gopher basketball has reached the ultimate peak of mediocrity and perennial underperformance. It is him saying right now the situation is so hopeless, it’s not even worth taking a shot at Pitino.

This is the most irrelevant gopher basketball has ever been. A friend who had season tickets with me when we were in college texted me today and asked how gopher basketball is this year. The “average” fan is completely checked out and knows there is truly “nothing to see here”.

We desperately need to energize this program any way that we can.

I believe the right coach can breathe life into this program and bring the barn alive again.
Fatalism is an inherently lazy take.

Last edited:

What do you call suddenly? Clem had the Gophers in the Sweet 16 in year 3. The right hire, and yes, that kind of thing will occur.
Clem cheated....got caught and set the program back 5+ years. Bad hire.. win or not

Need someone like a Muss who is well known to bring energy into the program. Someone like Fraig Smith could also do that, but just not as big a name. An under the radar would be Brian Wardle from Bradley. All 3 being energy guys

Need someone like a Muss who is well known to bring energy into the program. Someone like Fraig Smith could also do that, but just not as big a name. An under the radar would be Brian Wardle from Bradley. All 3 being energy guys
Muss and Arkansas just beat a top 10 team on the road for the first time since 1994.

I love when Reusse writes something terrible and the reaction from some is some form of "he's just trolling Gopher fans". So everyone else who reads the piece comes to the conclusion that the author is either A. very lazy and does no research or B. not intelligent and incapable of understanding the sport he's paid to opine about.

Imagine writing this on a day that the early bracket reveal: no.1 seeds: Gonzaga, Baylor no. 2 seeds: Alabama, Houston no. 3 seeds: West Virginia, Tennessee, Oklahoma no. 4 seeds Iowa, Texas Tech, and Missouri

You cannot make a credible case that Minnesota cannot compete with any of these programs. Then you have Illinois at a no.2 that was recently down. Then you have Virginia: from 1997-1998 to 2012-2013, the Cavaliers played in a grand total of 3 NCAA tournaments and had 1 win. They fired 2 coaches during that span. I guess they should have just given up and stuck with Dave Leitao because clearly Ralph Sampson wasn't coming back.

Almost every team in the 16 team bracket today is an example of why sticking with Pitino is complete insanity. Maybe you miss on your next coach too...the history of Gopher basketball (as marginal as it is) suggests you are incredibly unlikely to miss as bad as you did on Richard Pitino.

Cheating is for losers.... dont want a cheater...ever!!!! Winning is not worth cheating.

And BB is right... not everyone cheats

Fstalism is an inherently lazy take.
While I generally agree, I like Pat overall. He has done some really interesting stuff about baseball over the years. I like town ball baseball as well and he covers it from time to time.

Also, if you read my take, I completely disagree with Pat on this one. Doesn’t mean I can’t like him overall.

I love when Reusse writes something terrible and the reaction from some is some form of "he's just trolling Gopher fans". So everyone else who reads the piece comes to the conclusion that the author is either A. very lazy and does no research or B. not intelligent and incapable of understanding the sport he's paid to opine about.

Imagine writing this on a day that the early bracket reveal: no.1 seeds: Gonzaga, Baylor no. 2 seeds: Alabama, Houston no. 3 seeds: West Virginia, Tennessee, Oklahoma no. 4 seeds Iowa, Texas Tech, and Missouri

You cannot make a credible case that Minnesota cannot compete with any of these programs. Then you have Illinois at a no.2 that was recently down. Then you have Virginia: from 1997-1998 to 2012-2013, the Cavaliers played in a grand total of 3 NCAA tournaments and had 1 win. They fired 2 coaches during that span. I guess they should have just given up and stuck with Dave Leitao because clearly Ralph Sampson wasn't coming back.

Almost every team in the 16 team bracket today is an example of why sticking with Pitino is complete insanity. Maybe you miss on your next coach too...the history of Gopher basketball (as marginal as it is) suggests you are incredibly unlikely to miss as bad as you did on Richard Pitino.

Your first paragraph is making fun of people calling the Reusse article lazy. You then go on to explain how lazy of an article it was.

I say fire and rehire Pat, except for the second part.

Top Bottom