Reusse: Don't give the U's athletic director job to Goetz or Kill

While I agree with his conclusions, Reusse is a very sick man. He is so damaged and needs to lash out whenever possible to sooth his own pain, if only for a brief moment. He's like a predator.

Gees...:banghead:

It will either be Goetz or someone that most of us have never heard of. It's not going to be Thompson (though he would be good at it) and is certainly not going to be Najarian.

I think most people have heard of Tony Dungy.

Reusse is right. Goetz and Kill can't get the AD job. I'd go further and say Claeys shouldn't be our head football coach next year. Even with the investigation going on and not having a current AD, I'm not sure this job will be more attractive to outside candidates than it is right now. We need to strike while the iron is hot (or luke warm). We need to offer Mark Richt the job as soon as the clock at tcf for the Wisconsin game hits zero. I like Tracey Claeys but he can't be the face of our football program.

Look, Kill's not up to the A.D. job, but taking a shot at his grammar? We live in a society where the written and spoken word is deteriorating on a daily basis. In fact, I'll wager dimes to donuts that if I were to go out and buy a Star Tribune right now, I'd be able to find a at least a handful of mistakes in a "professional" publication that was supposed to have been carefully looked at by both a writer and an editor before it went to print. I guess that I could suggest that every person at the Star Tribune should be fired if I find just one error. Sound fair, Pat? (I know you're going to read this).

Exhibit A. :)

Ok - somebody name one of these "big-time" AD candidates, or "Big-time" coaching candidates who are lining up to come to MN.

the U is trapped in a catch-22: if they hire the AD 1st, and wait until later to hire the coach, then that limits the available coaching candidates, and runs the risk of a lost recruiting year. if they hire a FB coach first, there's no guarantee that the eventual new AD will like the FB coach. And, a "big-time" FB coach is not going to take the job without knowing who the AD will be.

Ok - somebody name one of these "big-time" AD candidates, or "Big-time" coaching candidates who are lining up to come to MN.

the U is trapped in a catch-22: if they hire the AD 1st, and wait until later to hire the coach, then that limits the available coaching candidates, and runs the risk of a lost recruiting year. if they hire a FB coach first, there's no guarantee that the eventual new AD will like the FB coach. And, a "big-time" FB coach is not going to take the job without knowing who the AD will be.

Loser talk. This job can attract much better candidates than you suggest.

Umm, he didn't suggest any candidates. He asked for suggestions.

He was saying there are no big name candidates who want this job. How does he know that? Someone like Mark Richt may welcome a job at Minnesota after being at a high profile sec school.

It will either be Goetz or someone that most of us have never heard of. It's not going to be Thompson (though he would be good at it) and is certainly not going to be Najarian.

Thompson passed it up when offered last time, wonder if he would accept this time?

Used a lot on GHole no "big-time" candidate will come here. What does that mean? Doubt anyone here believes the Urban Meyers of the world or even the Kirby Smarts are rolling in.

Do we consider the likes of Matt Campbell, Dino Babers and Tom Herman too "big-time" for the U. There is absolutely no way they would even listen if called?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Read my post. I never said that he named specific candidates, genius.

Read my post. I never said that you said he named specific candidates. (Not in to name calling. I'll leave that for the middle school kids).

Read my post. I never said that you said he named specific candidates. (Not in to name calling. I'll leave that for the middle school kids).

Quit trying to dpodoll this thread.

Used a lot on GHole no "big-time" candidate will come here. What does that mean? Doubt anyone here believes the Urban Meyers of the world or even the Kirby Smarts are rolling in.

Do we consider the likes of Matt Campbell, Dino Babers and Tom Herman too "big-time" for the U. There is absolutely no way they would even listen if called?

Tom Herman is going to be the #1 candidate on most everyone's list and is going to get the job at USC, Miami, South Carolina, or Virginia Tech. He's not coming here. Matt Campbell is pretty iffy and will likely be offered a better job than here. I'd rather have Claeys than Dino Babers, particularly since Babers is older than Jerry Kill.

How many big time Candidates lined up last time??
There was not an on going title 9 and sexual harassment investigation. There was also an AD in place.

Tom Herman is going to be the #1 candidate on most everyone's list and is going to get the job at USC, Miami, South Carolina, or Virginia Tech. He's not coming here. Matt Campbell is pretty iffy and will likely be offered a better job than here. I'd rather have Claeys than Dino Babers, particularly since Babers is older than Jerry Kill.

I'd call Justin Fuente too but he is probably going to be offered a better job than Minnesota. Also a call should be made to PJ Fleck.

Minnesota is in a tough spot without a permanent AD but the calls still should be made.

The only way we get a sniff at some of these coaches is if we hire a football first AD. Until then, it's very unlikely. I hire Claeys and roll with it and see how things go. He's still relatively young and could develop into a 10 year coach. If we really want a new coach, I'd find out if PJ Fleck still has a relationship with these coaches and if he could fit in as HC. Maybe influence the offense in a more positive way. He's on pace to have the #1 recruiting class in the MAC for the 3rd straight year. Seems to recruit similar areas as the current staff.

Kill was able to do something Brewster couldn't, make this a better job. Gopher football isn't in a bad place right now with a still-new stadium and upgraded facilities on the way.

If I'm an aspiring coach with a large ego (all coaches have 'em) and a B1G school has an opening -- especially one in football's West Division -- and they're interested in me, I'd view that as a really good job (and it will pay well) with an excellent opportunity for growth. If my goal is a chance to compete for a conference championship sooner rather than later, the B1G West wouldn't be a bad place to land. I'm not immediately chasing Ohio State, Michigan State, and real soon Michigan and probably Penn State just to get my head above water.

are the decision makers at the U even capable of recognizing a quality AD?

“Why can’t we just get in the running car?”
"Are you crazy? Let's hide behind the chainsaws"

HTML:
He was saying there are no big name candidates who want this job. How does he know that? Someone like Mark Richt may welcome a job at Minnesota after being at a high profile sec school.
A Tubby Smith or Ron Zook type hire?

I'm surprised people are still talking about different coaches. I feel very confident that the decision on Claeys has been made and we are just working out logistics, which is probably complicated due to our bureaucracy. The bureaucracy would be the reason he's not hired, and that would be a very bad thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The way it works here is that All those guys are big time hires until we hire them. Just like someone on here will downplay a Gopher victory this weekend if it happens because JT Barrett didn't play.

I'm surprised people are still talking about different coaches. I feel very confident that the decision on Claeys has been made and we are just working out logistics, which is probably complicated due to our bureaucracy. The bureaucracy would be the reason he's not hired, and that would be a very bad thing.

I'm thinking the same.

Plus it would take the pressure off to rush the AD hire.

even his pony tail? My Dad always said, never trust a guy with a pony tail...

Regarding beards, my old man said: why cultivate on your face what grows wild on your ass?

Timing of this column shows it's Reusse being Reusse. They're probably quite a ways off from hiring an AD. I think even Kill himself said he's not a candidate so why bring him up? Because the line about Kill's grammar is so god damn clever it has to be shared with the world, or at least Minnesota.

As for Goetz, everything so far indicates she's very good at her job. The times I've seen her, she certainly doesn't have a "deer in the headlights" look. She's auditioning for the job right now. The big bucks people are the ones who matter--not those of us on GH. They'll have had enough interaction with her to either give their stamp of approval or make her quietly not chosen or push for somebody they'd rather have.

The guy needs topics daily. He needs attention from us (which I contribute to). At least he didn't fill up 2/3 of the space with his history lesson shtick going back to Marsh Ryman.

Enough was said about Reusse's inciteful piece.

Adding my pennies to this conversation:
A national search should be conducted for a new AD, and rightly so. However, that does not guarantee a quality hire a la Mega Tongue. He came with what appeared to be an impeccable resume with Villa 7 connections tapping supposedly into a pipeline of good up and coming coaching candidates. The search firm and a committee, and Prez Kaler where wowed with his talking points. It turned out he was leaving VCU ahead of the heat, and he brought the same trash with him to the U of M.

It appears (correct me if I am wrong) that Jerry Kill & Lou Nanne where doing all the heavy lifting with the fundraising.

Kill supplied the focus, the leadership, and the vision to make the athletic village a reality.

Jerry Kill's legacy is rebuilding the football program and the athletic village.

IMHO, Goetz has proven herself to be a very engaged & capable acting AD who has the pulse of the athletic program from a day to day administrative standpoint. She should get serious consideration. She may not necessarily have the total package that everyone is looking for in an AD. But, she is auditioning for the role right now. She may turn out to be a good hire after all for the AD job.

I think Jerry Kill will not want the AD job not if Rebecca has anything to say about that nor will he consider it. But, if it happens that Goetz gets the AD job Jerry Kill will be an excellent fundraiser and an ambassador of Gopher athletics. There are no indications so far what he wants to do. The U will welcome him with open arms. Jerry Kill and Beth Goetz worked together well.

Will she be a visionary? Will she be able to fire one of her under performing coaches or administrators? Can she lay down performance expectations and standards to run the athletics program with? There has been some chatter about the lack of these things within the athletic department.

Someone hired outside of the university who is not connected to any of the current coaches may have an easier time calling the tough shots, and replacing people who do not perform. However, they are also just as capable of making the wrong coaching hires as any other ADs.

On the matter of hiring a coach, I'd say make Tracy Claeys the full time coach as soon as possible, to a low risk four/five year contract with severance terms favorable to the university. Preserve the best recruiting class the Gophers have in years, and let him continue Jerry Kill's rebuilding legacy. If his his team becomes B1G West champs in the next four years, give him terms for renegotiation of his contract. If he under performs, the new AD can replace him with a coach of his choosing.

They should give a serious look at Pete Najarian.

1. Gopher alum
2. Former NFL player
3. Successful business man in the financial industry
4. Wants the job
5. Life long Minnesotan, knows the culture/community

This makes way too much sense. The Gophers have hired clowns like Marsh Ryman, Maturi and faTeague. Is it possible they would actually do something smart???

Sid wants Dan O'Brien. Sid is an expert in all personnel matters. His night school high school diploma has him well qualified. He knows who should be the football coach. He loves Wacker and Gutey and in fact he loves every Gopher coach and has never wanted any of them removed. He loves announcing who should be hired and because so many people worship him, it spoils the hiring process. Keep your nose out of this Sid. You always say the STrib has the nest sports page in the country. Do you read everyone one of them every day and then make your evaluation. Or is this another one of your stupid statements (Ponder will start for Oakland).

It appears (correct me if I am wrong) that Jerry Kill & Lou Nanne where doing all the heavy lifting with the fundraising.

I don't mean to single you out - it's just that you're the latest person to advance this line of thinking. Do people realize that there is an entire fundraising enterprise at the U of M? There are literally hundreds of people who do nothing but raise money all day every day.

Top Bottom