Reusse column: Wisconsin has cheese; we'll bring the whine

That pig ate the entire cheese wheel, drank the entire bottle of whine, and vomited it back up all over himself to form what he is today.

Not the article I expected with the title it had. But I gotta admit, I want to punch him in the face everytime I see his old, ugly mug.

It's nothing but Reusse trying to hint that he didn't like Brewster and Brewster failed. He is patting himself on the ba....check that....shoulder (I doubt he could reach his back).

Brewster failed on pretty much every single level but it wasn't the same reason Reusse didn't like him.

It's funny how Ruesse will go after Tubby's post season record, but he never mentions Gardenhire's.

This Is Rich - A Couple of Thoughts Here

1. First off, and from experience, I have stated recently (and often) that if I could have a career "do-over", I'd have been an orthopedic surgeon specializing in joint replacement surgery. And specifically, I'd set up shop in Madison, WI, to concentrate on shoulder replacements from all the citizenry there wearing out those rotator cuffs from repetitive motion injuries earned by slapping themselves on the back about themselves and residing in The Holy City.

2. As to Reusse and whining - having just moved back to the Minnesota area, I've had occasion to listen to Reusse and something called "Garage Logic". Honestly, it is day after day after day of nothing but whining about how "they" are out to get "us".

I'll say one thing, though . . . Fulda the Hutt can write.

It's funny how Ruesse will go after Tubby's post season record, but he never mentions Gardenhire's.

About the only thing that changed when Gardenhire replaced Tom Kelly is that sportswriters in this town had to get used to fellating a different guy.

That said, Reusse is the only columnist in this town that can actually write.

It's pretty accurate and thought it was appropriate considering the state of the Twins right now.

I think all of the described events regarding success can be and have been pretty cyclical except one: Gopher football. That's something that hopefully can get changed in the not so distant future.

Gotta' admit though, it gets more sickening with each passing day how Wisconsin sports teams are performing in comparison to ours.

Gopher FB vs. Badger FB
Gopher BB vs. Badger BB
Vikings vs. Cheeseheads
Twins vs. Brew Crew
T-Wolves vs. Bucks

Not a favorable comparison at this point, though in the overall spectrum of things (recent history) I'd certainly call the Twins a better product than the Brewers. The worm can't start turning soon enough in my book, especially as it pertains to the Gophers and Badgers.

Warning to all media types:

This is a tough room to play.

It has admittedly been a very nice year for the average sports fan here in Wisconsin, but as the guest alluded to in the article, sports tend to rotate in cycles.

So we all agree he was basically right though.

No doubt, most of what he said was pretty much spot on. And I wholeheartedly agree, Reusse can write, better than anybody else in the MSP media market.

But like some of his and Souhan's articles, I find myself asking, "that's true, but what's your point for devoting an article to it?"

For me, the answer is almost always, to be contrarian, to annoy and irritate people and to stir the pot. Souhan and Reusse frequently write articles just to get under the skin of the passionate fan and I think it's kind of ridiculous, and largely lazy journalism.

So you wrote an article that pretty much says Minny fans should be jealous of Wisky fans for the last 18 month sampling period. Really? That's what you're going with?

You can do better than that, Pat.

I'm not really sure why this is supposed to offend us, as Gopher fans or MN sports fans in general, even though it was clearly Reusse's intention to poke some fun at Goph fans in particular. As the article clearly pointed out, all teams go through cycles and fans of MN sports have had a down year. The Twins have been a FAR better product over the last 10 years. The Vikings have been to 3 NFC Championship games since 1998 (and are 11-15 against the Pack in that time frame), as much as it pains me to say it. Gopher BB went through a long rough stretch post-Haskins time but Tubby has won a few against the Badgers as well. The Bucks? They've had 4 seasons at or above .500 since 2000, 5 for the Wolves. Neither has had much to brag on recently (is there a difference between abysmal and not-good when you're a fan?).

Let's not forget that we HAVE an NHL team that has not yet had a losing record since 01-02. While we're on hockey, Reusse SHOULD have piled on with the plight of the Gopher Hockey team, but I'll let that slide.

My point? Teams and area sports followers go in cycles and MN happens to be in a slump right now. Gopher football hasn't seen an "up" in 40+ years (with 2003 being a lone exception) so that is the outlier. Hopefully Kill can reverse it but Reusse was using Gophers as the fodder in a downtrodding article. Whatever.

In addition, I LOVE the self-patting the Sconnies like to do. Their success is because of all the money they've invested and it goes to show that when fans support your team like they do so well, good things are bound to happen. Come on. UMN athletics has invested as much money in athletic venues as WI has - Mariucci in the 90s for hockey, upgrades to a gorgeous Barn for BBall, a brand new TCF Bank stadium. The Twins have a brand new baseball field comparable to better than the Brewers field. Bradley Center vs Target Center - whatever.

They just love to take credit for things that are truly out of their control.

So we all agree he was basically right though.
But is anyone really whining? The only person he points out as whining is Brewster after the 2 pt. conversion. I think most Minnesota sports fans take it on the chin rather than whine about it.

Good lord, some people here are just waiting to take offense. Exactly what did he write that isn't true or was an unfair shot at the Gophers?

Good lord, some people here are just waiting to take offense. Exactly what did he write that isn't true or was an unfair shot at the Gophers?

Who said anything as if they took offense. At worst, people said it was pointless to dedicate an entire article on the subject. But not a single person posted that it wasn't true.

The 'offense' people take are of Ruesse himself.

Pat writes this column every couple of years whenever there is a down cycle for the MN teams.
As it's been said, the Twins have had 10 good years and the Brewers haven't won anything yet. The Vikes won the division two straight times and went to within one play of the Super Bowl. Yeah, it didn't work out, but it's not as if they have been the Bengals.
This plays into the self hatred of Minnesota fans and the overactive self fellating love of Wisconsin fans. It is only meant to generate web hits.

No kidding, but that will change soon as the Twins will not see post season for a long time.

No kidding, but that will change soon as the Twins will not see post season for a long time.

A year at least.

This. Don't see a good reason they won't make the playoffs next year (not to hijack the thread). Also some exciting potential in Gopher BB and obviously we all hope Jerry Kill turns things around. This just made me really want to see a similar article in a Wisconsin paper in a couple years. Hopefully it motivates MN athletes as well.

I like Reusse, but this column is awful.

The Twins have had a down year, but they have won the division six times in the past 10 years, including the last two years. The Vikings had a bad year last year, but otherwise won the division back-to-back in 2008 and 2009. If anything, the Twins dominance over the Brewers cancels out the Packers' over the Vikings. And of course, Wisconsin doesn't have a professional hockey team. The Gopher football team has been bad for awhile now. The Badgers were *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#ty before Barry Alvarez showed up. Sports are cyclical. If you have decent ownership and the right people in administrative positions, you will eventually win some games, but no team makes the playoffs every single year or wins it all every single year. I also hate this idea that sports fans are "tortured by losing." It sucks when your favorite team loses; hell, I listened to the Gophers-USD game last year on the South Dakota radio feed because that's the only way I could get it online and that was awful, sure, but it's sports. We want to be entertained. I don't lose anything if the team I'm cheering for loses. Why should I take it any harder than the athletes themselves?

What an awful column idea. If he wrote this in 2008 or 2009 -- and he might have -- it could have been that Wisconsin fans were jealous of Minnesotans.

What pisses me off about Reusse is that he never has, and may never will, write the positive article about the Gophers rolling over the Badgers such as 18 months ago. The guy is all pessimism and whining and we have too many of those people in society and in this state already.

It being true really is beside the point. It seems like just kind of a silly article to me. Half of the article was to do nothing but pat himself on the back about not liking Brew and the other half was simply to appease the WImmigrants from Sconny who love their state so much they move here.

Either way it's fine. I don't see him getting a ton of criticism on here, just jabs at Ruesse. No one is calling him a liar or calling for his head. They are simply stating that it's kind of a pointless article (in their opinion).

Top Bottom