Respect vs Over Hyping Opponents

Reaction score
I want to start by saying I still stand with Coach Fleck, but this one bugs me. I totally understand as a Coach you don't want to give the other team locker room bulletin board material, but to me Fleck goes overboard giving his competition way to much credit going into games. I get it you want to show respect for your opponent, but at the same time your players are likely going to hear this spiel. Fleck tells his players not to listen to outside noise, but it's hard to do when your Coach is saying it. I cringe, almost vomit when he says Iowa is a great program and that Coach Ferentz is one of the best. I'm sure Coach Ferentz uses that when we are going head to head with a potential recruit. Change your best Coach and just give some simple accolades for the opposing team and then move on.

I want to start by saying I still stand with Coach Fleck, but this one bugs me. I totally understand as a Coach you don't want to give the other team locker room bulletin board material, but to me Fleck goes overboard giving his competition way to much credit going into games. I get it you want to show respect for your opponent, but at the same time your players are likely going to hear this spiel. Fleck tells his players not to listen to outside noise, but it's hard to do when your Coach is saying it. I cringe, almost vomit when he says Iowa is a great program and that Coach Ferentz is one of the best. I'm sure Coach Ferentz uses that when we are going head to head with a potential recruit. Change your best Coach and just give some simple accolades for the opposing team and then move on.
It’s just Fleck’s MO to consistently manage expectations of him. Program he inherited was a disaster that needed complete overhaul, opponents are either giants or sleeping giants, team is almost always super young and/or inexperienced, etc.

I can’t see a downside to being honest about other programs outside maybe upsetting a few super fans who also watch press conferences.

The Gophers have lost to Northwestern and were not competitive vs Michigan.

All opponents look pretty impressive when you can’t beat Northwestern.

His behavior on the radio show last week was flat-out embarrassing. If you're afraid of the other team's logo,you've already lost.

It’s just Fleck’s MO to consistently manage expectations of him. Program he inherited was a disaster that needed complete overhaul, opponents are either giants or sleeping giants, team is almost always super young and/or inexperienced, etc.
When has he said he inherited a disaster that needed an overhaul?

Top Bottom