Report: Notre Dame not likely to play in bowl game

It's one thing to land an at-large berth in the Hawaii Bowl, as they did last year after going 6-6. This year, the bowl would've been in Detroit or Mobile, and both would've been against a MAC team. No-win situation for the Domers.

UCLA will happily step up and take the at-large spot, I'm guessing.

are you kidding?

Lets face it, the majority of bowls after the BCS bowls are for entertainment, extra practice, fan fun, and something to watch during the holidays. Notre dame deciding not to accept another game shows their arrogance which has no foundation. Of course the education is first class but the football program is definatly second rate. Why would a kid go to a program that quits? Until they join a major conference, they will never regain their prominence.

I don't necessarily think it is arrogance...I'm guessing they want the focus to be on hiring a new coach, rather than their bowl game. Good shot they get beat by Central Michigan in Detroit -- that is a lose-lose situation. Might as well shut it down, clean house and install a new coach.

I am sad we had a mediocre year this year -- Notre Dame sucks and fires their coach, USC is average and Pete Carroll is dragged through the mud. The stars have aligned when it comes to external circumstances being conducive to signing Seantrel. We simply couldn't take care of things in our own house (beat Illinois, muster an offense against OSU/PSU/SDSU/Iowa) to make MN a marginally attractive option. Hope I'm wrong and Seantrel still decides to come here!

I don't necessarily think it is arrogance...I'm guessing they want the focus to be on hiring a new coach, rather than their bowl game. Good shot they get beat by Central Michigan in Detroit -- that is a lose-lose situation. Might as well shut it down, clean house and install a new coach.

I am sad we had a mediocre year this year -- Notre Dame sucks and fires their coach, USC is average and Pete Carroll is dragged through the mud. The stars have aligned when it comes to external circumstances being conducive to signing Seantrel. We simply couldn't take care of things in our own house (beat Illinois, muster an offense against OSU/PSU/SDSU/Iowa) to make MN a marginally attractive option. Hope I'm wrong and Seantrel still decides to come here!

The players don't hire the coach though. They don't have to worry about the hiring process. In my opinion, getting extra practices is never a bad thing. I just can't imagine as a player saying "No I don't want to play this game." How is that any different than saying you don't want to play the last game of the regular season? Even worse is a senior voting to not play. Are you kidding me? That's why I believe it is arrogance. Not necessarily the players fault. I think there could have been outside influence on this decision.

Top Bottom