Report: More LSU players considering leaving team

A_Slab_of_Bacon

Reaction score
Kubena reports that LSU is currently at 69 scholarship players, a number that includes three walk-ons who were awarded scholarships and well below the NCAA limit of 85 players. LSU’s self-imposed sanctions call for a reduction of 8 scholarships over the next two years.

That seems serious, more so if folks start jumping ship because others do...

Here is where it gets more interesting:

Multiple sources told The Advocate that team morale turned south before the season even began, when a large group of players felt Orgeron mishandled a team meeting regarding the team’s player-led march in August amid national protests against police brutality.

More on that topic:

There’s another major factor that played out behind the scenes: Multiple sources told The Advocate that team morale turned south before the season even began, when a large group of players felt Orgeron mishandled a team meeting regarding the team's player-led march in August amid national protests against police brutality.

The players skipped practice that day, met outside Tiger Stadium and marched to the university president's office without Orgeron, who later told reporters he didn't know about the protest before it happened.

Orgeron met up with the players at the president's office and took part in a meeting that lasted about an hour. He later told reporters he and the players talked "about the things they're going through and how we can be a part of the solution."

Privately, the meeting did not come off as productive as described. Orgeron and some players were upset during the meeting, multiple sources said, and while some players said the situation could've been handled better by all sides, other players left feeling Orgeron wasn't supportive.

Any 5 stars available that would fit the U's culture? Seriously though, this is not what I expected from the little I know about Orgeron. I've like him for a number of years and wanted him to be successful because of how USC treated him. But if these rumors are true and his players don't like him, then that's a whole new angle. Of course I know exactly nothing about anything, so there is that.............

Any 5 stars available that would fit the U's culture? Seriously though, this is not what I expected from the little I know about Orgeron. I've like him for a number of years and wanted him to be successful because of how USC treated him. But if these rumors are true and his players don't like him, then that's a whole new angle. Of course I know exactly nothing about anything, so there is that.............

Ed could be a 100% great guy and in that situation mistakenly played the "hard ass coach / you're not gonna skip practice on me" card later on in a meeting ... guys took it really hard.

Like normally guy's skipping practice could be seen as a really bad thing. Coach's will be inclined to make sure everyone knows the rules and all, and in this situation it might have been more time for coach to listen and recognize the context and that they weren't just doing this to spite him or to go party, but he perhaps didn't.

These are difficult situations ... difficult conversations one might even say.

Totally possible to dork this up and still be a great guy.

Ed could be a 100% great guy and in that situation mistakenly played the "hard ass coach / you're not gonna skip practice on me" card later on in a meeting ... guys took it really hard.

Like normally guy's skipping practice could be seen as a really bad thing. Coach's will be inclined to make sure everyone knows the rules and all, and in this situation it might have been more time for coach to listen and recognize the context and that they weren't just doing this to spite him or to go party, but he perhaps didn't.

True. Maybe the guys leaving are the type that can't handle someone telling them what to do. Maybe he just handled it wrong as you said. Either way I don't know enough about the situation to have an opinion. Maybe it's a teaching moment for both sides. It was a difficult time for the whole country with a lot emotions running high. Like you said, easy to dork up something that volatile and still be good people.

I guess the origin of my post was just to make a tongue in cheek comment about poaching 5 star players............

I don't know what's going on here, but in these day and times you need to be more than a FOOTBALL coach. You need to be like a CEO of a large corporation. That's where some stumble.

I guess the origin of my post was just to make a tongue in cheek comment about poaching 5 star players............

I'm sure there's a lot of ... feelers going out there from a lot of teams.

Luckily PJ eats them with his Pop Tarts!

Different situation but similar in some respects to what cost Tracy Claeys his job. The players felt one way and the administration felt another. Claeys tried his best to walk the line but ended up losing his job. Not an easy situation.

Orgeron might not have understood the level to which his players needed to be heard, and again tried to be friend to both players and the administration.

As nitramnaed said, this is about being much more than just a football coach.

I’d be open to a combo transfer of Pelini as our new DC and Jabril Cox at LB (NDSU transfer). J/K...kids going pro and Pelini isn’t setting the world on fire.

Agree with what others have said.

The cultural issues that were front of mind in 2020 were concerns that were coming from a direction most "old-style" college coaches might not be as open to understanding.

I’d be open to a combo transfer of Pelini as our new DC and Jabril Cox at LB (NDSU transfer). J/K...kids going pro and Pelini isn’t setting the world on fire.
Pelini would be licking his chops when the Nebraska game is played. Doubt that he would come here though. We're doing good at DC and not sure if Pelini and Fleck are a match.

Do you people have any idea how bad Bo Pelini’s defense has been this year? Rossi is every bit a good a DC as Pelini, without the baggage.

And then they go and upend the Gators in Gainesville. Ya never know...

Top Bottom