Replay of Gophers vs Ohio State 1981

Gophergrandpa

Reaction score
The hour-long condensed version of the 1981 Minnesota vs Ohio State game, which the Gophers won 35-31—TE Jay Carroll three TDs—will air on BTN at 6:30 AM, Central Time, on Saturday, August 21st. The game will be replayed once more on BTN: at 9:30 AM on September 2nd, the day of the Gophers opener against Ohio State! Nice timing.

I was there in 1981. I will be there September 2nd. History will repeat. Go Gophers!
Jay Carroll 3 touchdowns again? SAWEET!!!!! That might make Sportscenter (only if there are no SEC games on).

The hour-long condensed version of the 1981 Minnesota vs Ohio State game, which the Gophers won 35-31—TE Jay Carroll three TDs—will air on BTN at 6:30 AM, Central Time, on Saturday, August 21st. The game will be replayed once more on BTN: at 9:30 AM on September 2nd, the day of the Gophers opener against Ohio State! Nice timing.
I was there. Thanks for passing this along.

Missed the ‘81 OSU game for a Minnesota-Wisconsin hockey series in Madison…only Big Ten team I have not scene the Gophers beat in-person—came close in ‘89 when we blew the 31-0 lead at the Metrodome—the father of 2003 Michigan and 2006 Texas Tech debacles…

Would have watched but it’s been spoiled by your post.

Kind of a shame that we have to resort to a game back in 1981. Hopefully this trend will change starting with this year!

Calling it now, the opener will be replayed as a highlight for the Gophers in years to come.

A very young version of me was at that game, and I was already dreading the move from Memorial Stadium the next year. I really was drawn in by everything about on campus games and Memorial Stadium as a kid.

My recollection of the game was that it was a dark cloudy day, and that clearly was not the case, as the sun was bright all day. What I do recall with some accuracy was the day Jay Carroll had and how impressive MIke Hohensee was. That last TD pass to is what I really recall from the day. My dad had the biggest smile on his face ever during 2 hour drive home.

The comment from the ESPN crew about the soon to be completed "state of the art" Metrodome were especially rich.

A very young version of me was at that game, and I was already dreading the move from Memorial Stadium the next year. I really was drawn in by everything about on campus games and Memorial Stadium as a kid.

My recollection of the game was that it was a dark cloudy day, and that clearly was not the case, as the sun was bright all day. What I do recall with some accuracy was the day Jay Carroll had and how impressive MIke Hohensee was. That last TD pass to is what I really recall from the day. My dad had the biggest smile on his face ever during 2 hour drive home.

The comment from the ESPN crew about the soon to be completed "state of the art" Metrodome were especially rich.
You are a hero. I love these stories of the fan warriors who have been loyal. Again, Rose Bowl this year find me and you drink free.

1981 Gopher win over the Buckeyes was the last gopher win in Memorial Stadium. (1982 was the first Metrodome season). Gophers went on a multi-year horrific slide following this win, I think their Big Ten conference record was 1-21 through the first part of 1984 (Holtz's first year). If wanting to show a Gopher victory, surprised they did not show the 2000 game

1981 Gopher win over the Buckeyes was the last gopher win in Memorial Stadium. (1982 was the first Metrodome season). Gophers went on a multi-year horrific slide following this win, I think their Big Ten conference record was 1-21 through the first part of 1984 (Holtz's first year). If wanting to show a Gopher victory, surprised they did not show the 2000 game
That 2000 game was one I'll never forget. If I could have only been there.
I didn't get to check the horseshoe from my bucket list until 2018.

Was there with my son. Great game! Sat with the alumni section and got an autograph on the program from one of the team members of the 1949 team that was the last to beat them at the shoe.

Top Bottom